Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 1,709
Don't know why the O.P. thinks a used Diesel is a headache. I'm on my 2nd used diesel. No headaches on this end.

Better mileage and MUCH SAFER towing than a gasser.

My brother-in-law had a Fleetwood Flair gasser and QUICKLY decided they wanted a diesel pusher after nearly loosing it going down the continental divide!!

Now my sister does all the driving because she says it feels and drives safer.



Perhaps you should change the title, Husband wants a safer Motorhome.



Try driving one first. Then post back your experience(s).


RM
__________________

__________________
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Yuma AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Don't know why the O.P. thinks a used Diesel is a headache. I'm on my 2nd used diesel. No headaches on this end.

Better mileage and MUCH SAFER towing than a gasser.

My brother-in-law had a Fleetwood Flair gasser and QUICKLY decided they wanted a diesel pusher after nearly loosing it going down the continental divide!!

Now my sister does all the driving because she says it feels and drives safer.



Perhaps you should change the title, Husband wants a safer Motorhome.



Try driving one first. Then post back your experience(s).


RM
you forgot rides like a sports car and easier to park than a shopping cart

pass the kool aid

I feel twice as safe pulling with a gasser....go faster,.. stop quicker..
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
you forgot rides like a sports car and easier to park than a shopping cart

pass the kool aid

I feel twice as safe pulling with a gasser....go faster,.. stop quicker..
Do you weigh 40,000 or 50,000 or 60,000 lbs.?
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingcrazyShirley View Post
HELP! My DH wants to get rid of our current MH, which we bought new back in 2007. It's a Damon Challenger bunkhouse model. He wants to go to a DP for lots of reasons, mostly being comfort and we don't need the bunkhouse any longer. We only have 31,000 miles on it, and last year replaced the fuel pump on the genny and recaulked entire coach. We have replaced an inverter, the hydraulic pump for levelers, and minor things over the past few years. It's an entry level coach I know, but it's served us pretty well. Oh yes, and we just put new tires all the way around less than 6 months ago. We are quite a few years away from retirement, so anything we purchase at this time is going to be around the same vintage or probably older due to the cost of the DP. I'm not sold on the idea of buying someone elses headaches, as I know everything that we have done to ours as we purchased new. We have purchased used 5th wheels and trailers over the years, so it's not that I'm opposed to purchasing used. He loves the Fleetwood Discovery 38' model. I'm fine with this unit, just can anyone give me pros and cons of this unit OR does anyone else have suggestions? I would assume this would be our second to last MH, as more than likely we would buy new or close to it at retirement. His biggest complaint on the Damon is the ride and the drivers seat is so uncomfortable on longer trips. I get it, but I want to be prudent before I go off and sell ours. Any information you may have on this produce good and bad is apprecaited, and anything we must be on the lookout for. Thanks for all the help.
he's half way there, two reasons to buy a diesel.. you want to,..and you can
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Do you weigh 40,000 or 50,000 or 60,000 lbs.?
I'm only at 190
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I'm only at 190
One of the great things about RV's in general is that we have so much personal choice. From $2k pop up to $2.7M bus the fun costs the same amount.
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #49
VP
Member
 
VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas & Arizona
Posts: 33
.
As a general rule, I avoid getting into tit-for-tat exchanges on forums. However this one time, I will make an exception and hope readers of this thread will accept my apology. I request that other readers simply skip to the next post, while I explain what an analogy is to Alpha99. In the future I promise to stay on subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
How do you figure that? Do you believe a motorhome drives like a sports car or a hot rod? Really?
Alpha99

Your "sports car" comment is typical for a person who has nothing to say but for whatever reason feels the need to post something. You may note from comparing our relative forum join dates and post totals that I refrain from posting except when I have something productive to offer. I highly recommend that guideline to you. If you take the time to actually read my original post, you will see that it and the embedded link contains a lot of information for the type of person who started this thread. Since I have been in their exact position, I felt qualified to offer them my insight.

I wish I had left the sportscar analogy out of my post above because (in your eyes) it detracts from the meat of my post. I hope you will look up the definition of analogy to better understand my post. I would NEVER compare your "family minivan" to my touring "sports car" and won't do so now. That said, if it was appropriate I would feel qualified to make that analogy because I have owned both a true British sportscar (1978 Triumph TR6) as well as a more refined Japanese variation (1980 Nissan 280ZX), and several since then. Although I have never owned a family minivan I consider myself lucky to have also owned 5 different RV's, a camper slide-in and 4 class A's - starting with a 1970 Brave right up to my current coach. Again and obviously, no motorhome actually drives like a sportscar (or minivan) any more than it accelerates like a jet aircraft. To belay your next smart comment, yes I have also flown everything from a Cessna 140 to McDonnell Douglas DC-10/MD-11's and several USAF jets in between. So we could go there too but only if YOU feel qualified.

You now know why I felt your comment was both clueless (yes) and rather sad (yes). Stay safe out there my friend.
__________________
2004 Wanderlodge M380 w/ 2013 Fiat 500 Pop Toad
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Don't know why the O.P. thinks a used Diesel is a headache. I'm on my 2nd used diesel. No headaches on this end.

Better mileage and MUCH SAFER towing than a gasser.

My brother-in-law had a Fleetwood Flair gasser and QUICKLY decided they wanted a diesel pusher after nearly loosing it going down the continental divide!!

Now my sister does all the driving because she says it feels and drives safer.



Perhaps you should change the title, Husband wants a safer Motorhome.



Try driving one first. Then post back your experience(s).


RM
I read this post...

waited ....heres my response....

heres what I got from what you post...

my brother in law doesn't know how to drive a motorhome so my sister has to drive their motor homes


for you to say that a flair is dangerous is boarder line slander....


but while on the subject... what is dangerous is this fact....

a 70 yr old can run out and buy a 50,000 gcvw and head out on the interstate with out an ounce of training...that's scary,...

and then to find out that they can't even drive a flair..even more scary

I've owned 6 flairs not one was ever dangerous.... but I never let my kids drive it either
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingcrazyShirley View Post
HELP! My DH wants to get rid of our current MH, which we bought new back in 2007. It's a Damon Challenger bunkhouse model. He wants to go to a DP for lots of reasons, mostly being comfort and we don't need the bunkhouse any longer. We only have 31,000 miles on it, and last year replaced the fuel pump on the genny and recaulked entire coach. We have replaced an inverter, the hydraulic pump for levelers, and minor things over the past few years. It's an entry level coach I know, but it's served us pretty well. Oh yes, and we just put new tires all the way around less than 6 months ago. We are quite a few years away from retirement, so anything we purchase at this time is going to be around the same vintage or probably older due to the cost of the DP. I'm not sold on the idea of buying someone elses headaches, as I know everything that we have done to ours as we purchased new. We have purchased used 5th wheels and trailers over the years, so it's not that I'm opposed to purchasing used. He loves the Fleetwood Discovery 38' model. I'm fine with this unit, just can anyone give me pros and cons of this unit OR does anyone else have suggestions? I would assume this would be our second to last MH, as more than likely we would buy new or close to it at retirement. His biggest complaint on the Damon is the ride and the drivers seat is so uncomfortable on longer trips. I get it, but I want to be prudent before I go off and sell ours. Any information you may have on this produce good and bad is apprecaited, and anything we must be on the lookout for. Thanks for all the help.
I had the 05 ,I think, but the 35'r... pretty nice coach..... the wind noise is a lot on the front door...the microwave rattles a lot... there a loose sheetmetal in side that I had to fix on my bounders , expiditions, and discovery's....I had the 39'r but it was the older 2001 I think...


theres a lot of good good deals out there on the older DP's....look before you leep... good luck... post what you buy
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Iwillbeit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooksville FL
Posts: 199
DP is all I know because when I was looking, everybody told me I needed to go with a DP. That advise even came from all my friends who have gas units. So I purchased a 2009 Itasca Ellipse 40ft (18,000 miles and like new) and not regretted it. Now after going a few places with my gas owning friends, THEY are now shopping for a DP too. Like others have said... Get what you want! This life seldom gives you a "do-over". Be happy!

Randy W


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
DP is all I know because when I was looking, everybody told me I needed to go with a DP. That advise even came from all my friends who have gas units. So I purchased a 2009 Itasca Ellipse 40ft (18,000 miles and like new) and not regretted it. Now after going a few places with my gas owning friends, THEY are now shopping for a DP too. Like others have said... Get what you want! This life seldom gives you a "do-over". Be happy!

Randy W


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
guess we can't stay on track,,, no wonder no response from op
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
did anyone read post #1... she wanted to know about a discovery...
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I read this post...

waited ....heres my response....

heres what I got from what you post...

my brother in law doesn't know how to drive a motorhome so my sister has to drive their motor homes


for you to say that a flair is dangerous is boarder line slander....


but while on the subject... what is dangerous is this fact....

a 70 yr old can run out and buy a 50,000 gcvw and head out on the interstate with out an ounce of training...that's scary,...

and then to find out that they can't even drive a flair..even more scary

I've owned 6 flairs not one was ever dangerous.... but I never let my kids drive it either

This is getting rather commical is it not?

Perfect example of these Gas vs Diesel posts. Looks like I touched a nerve with Mr. 6 Flair. Sorry.
__________________
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Yuma AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
This is getting rather commical is it not?

Perfect example of these Gas vs Diesel posts. Looks like I touched a nerve with Mr. 6 Flair. Sorry.
why don't you just answer post one
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.