Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #1

DH wants to buy another RV

OK, we have a 1986 Allegro Bay motorhome, 28' long. We really like it, it's in great shape... although there are things we wish it had. Which you can probably say about anything you ever buy.

Well he found another one! This one is a 1988 Allegro Bay MH. It is 10' longer.

Comparison:
It has the basement, which our other one doesn't. We would be able to take our fishing poles! And put the lawn chairs in there instead of piling them in the car.

A queen bed, instead of the full bed + you can walk around the bed instead of climbing over the other person to get out.

Has a washer n dryer. Which really isn't a big deal until we go on a week long vacation.

The couch is a large couch, not big enuf for a 10 year old once you pull it out to a bed.

Ours has carpet, this one has hardwood floors.

Ugh! Just not sure what to do! Overall we are happy with our mh. Definately changes we want to make. Ours does have a bit of water damage (the leak is fixed), we are going to fix the spots this winter. Along with replacing the carpet with something easier to keep clean!

Sometimes I could kick his butt for doing this stuff! I was perfectly happy till he started telling me about this mh!

heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #2

Hi Amy, You seem to be making statements and really not asking a question. A lot depends on your financial situation. If it's possible to move into a larger RV, it seems to me that if you want to make the jump, you should move up more than 2 years newer. Something you will have to decide. Good luck, John H...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Just my thought but if you want it get it! Many or most people go through life saying I wish I had bought or done something. "Grab a chance and don't be sorry for a might have been" or someething similar was said by Arthur Ransome.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is this new coach a diesel pusher? I went from a 1984, 31fter to a 1988, 34fter. I needed an extra bedin the front and a walk around bed in the rear. I didn't care about the year, just needed more room for the GK's. I did get a basement also, love it.
Now I can pack the large Smokey Joe BBQ pit.
J
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
aside from budget
other considerations for buying larger & newer:
How much do you use your MH? weekends, tailgaiting, vacations, full time?
Do both of your teens (& friends?) travel with you?
Will you regret not buying this one? Why and Why not?
Write down all the + reasons to buy another MH; then next to it, write the negative
I didn't understand: "The couch is a large couch, not big enuf for a 10 year old once you pull it out to a bed." If this is in the 1988 and you have two teens & they travel with you, would this cause a problem?

I'm sure we all wish we had a crystal ball to peek into to see if we make a right decision.
I hope you've found some help, ideas etc. Safe travels, with smiles along your miles.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I know what you are going through! Just make sure you get everything you want in the new motorhome. Make sure if you are going to travel with your kids you have room for them. We just went from a 33 ft with no slides to a 36 with two slides. I miss the big windows we had in the old motorhome, but I do like the extra storage. If you are going to use it for extended periods of time, can you live in it comfortably. We went into a rig that was 8 years newer but there is definitely a quality to the older rigs. Hope you enjoy your travels no matter what you decide!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #7

Bigger can be better but remember you are "Upgrading" to a 22 year old motorhome. It has to have a serious list of issues or potential issues. If it were me, I'd "upgrade" to a much newer model.

I just bought a used 1988 Winnebago Superchief which I knew would have a bunch of "opportunities". And I was correct and under estimated the costs. The dealer I bought it from said the previous owners "upgraded" to a '93 model which had levelers and that was the only reason they were trading, and everything worked. Well I can tell you after a lot of work and $$$ that was plain old BS.

I opted for a fixer-upper as I knew we would not be able to use it much, I liked the look of a "Classic", and I did not want to pay a lot for a unit to sit in the side yard most of the time as my spouse still works to get medical insurance. (Neither of us can get affordable insurance other than employer based)

With the price of late '90's models being what they are you might want to look for a newer model.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Whatever you do, test every component in the new coach. Test the heaters, fridge, a/c's, stove, oven, everything. I tested my heaters in Arizona,it was hot but the a/c's cooled the coach down quickly. Test, test, test.
J
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #9

Yep, I was just thinking as I was typing! DH threw me for a loop with this. I've been happy with our current mh. Not many complaints. A few changes will be taking place this winter.

So, we went last night and really checked out this other mh. In the end, I didn't think it had enough beds if both our kids brought a friend. I loved the basement area! My next mh will have this! I could care less about the washer/dryer. I have no problem using a campground laundry mat if I need to.

We had some engine work done in September. Our mechanic, a very respected mechanic, said she purs like a kitten! He said if we ever decide to get rid of her, to call him first! That's pretty important to me!!!

Everyone had great insight/thoughts! Thanks so much! I love this place!
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One piece windshields, LCD's, LED's, HD, FRED,AGM's, Auto Levelers, Auto Sat, hardwood floors, side hinged basement doors, RR, gas pusher, and the beat goes on....... what else will they tempt me with next. Oh when should I upgrade?
You may find solace here but only the two of you can answer that question.
Good Luck
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyaim View Post

So, we went last night and really checked out this other mh. In the end, I didn't think it had enough beds if both our kids brought a friend. I loved the basement area! My next mh will have this! I could care less about the washer/dryer. I have no problem using a campground laundry mat if I need to.
Teens love tents when the friends come along. It lets them sit up and talk in private, play games, whatever teens do. I have two tents, one for boys and one for the girls. DW always worry that bears will carry them off, I just tell her more food for us.
J
Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #12

When my grandkids and great grandkids asked if they could go with us I told them: "you can eat with us, visit with us, but not sleep in. Bring a tent etc as we will be going many more times without you than with you." So we would not buy a rig big enough to accommodate everyone and then not use the extras.
So, keep in mind the kids won't be around forever and you won't be able to coax them into going everytime either. So buy what you can afford and use and bring tents etc for them.
Nitehawk