Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
WDW

Diagnosing 12 V power loss

The quick rinse is that we went to do our monthly check on our new 2016 Coachman Mirada. We had a battery maintainer on the chassis battery which is working just fine. However the master disconnect would not turn on any power and there is apparently no 12 V power.

I'm guessing that I have either a converter failure or there is a fuse that I've yet to learn where it's at.

We have power coming in from the power source passing through the progressive industries EM S.

Initially we found a code on the EMS saying that there had been a low voltage event.

The 110 V side of the systems works however the 12 V side which is all the lighting does not.

We did a measurement on the batteries and each of the 6V are reading 1.07 V. Ouch ouch ouch :(!

So any thoughts suggestions from those of you who have had one of these experiences before?

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

WDW-

I pulled up a manual on the Coachmen Web site for a 2015 Mirada. It says the coach has a converter, not an inverter/charger, to charge the batteries. There may be an inverter (without charger) installed to provide 120VAC to some appliances. Please confirm.

If you've know you're getting 120VAC into the coach, the next place to look is whether that 120VAC is making it to the converter. That's usually controlled by the main 120VAC circuit breaker and a dedicated 120VAC circuit breaker in the power center. Are both of those in the un-tripped state?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Check that converter is getting 120V AC input......tripped circuit breaker that feeds converter OR if converter plugs into an outlet then check that outlet has AC power.

Then with converter getting AC power IN.,....check that converter DC output is at minimum 13.2V DC (anything less and converter is not functioning correctly)

Then IF you have proper DC output from converter........
Check for 'reverse polarity' fuse(s) on converter (large amp fuses 30-40A)
If blown..no DC to/from batteries (Usually only get blown when battery cables have been removed and installed backwards)

Then check for the DC Voltage at battery disconnect switch......from converter and from batteries. Switch may be BAD or in wrong position
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
WDW-

I pulled up a manual on the Coachmen Web site for a 2015 Mirada. It says the coach has a converter, not an inverter/charger, to charge the batteries. There may be an inverter (without charger) installed to provide 120VAC to some appliances. Please confirm.

If you've know you're getting 120VAC into the coach, the next place to look is whether that 120VAC is making it to the converter. That's usually controlled by the main 120VAC circuit breaker and a dedicated 120VAC circuit breaker in the power center. Are both of those in the un-tripped state?
If he has a residential refrigerator there is an inverter/charger in it. Check the circuit breaker on the inverter. Then check the main circuit breakers for the inverter.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
WDW

Thank you! We're going to have to back out and double check the fuses. I reset all the breakers and still had nothing. It was cold but I should have pulled the main 12v fuses. I believe our converter has led pilots to shown non functioning circuits and none were lit. I'm thinking there is another fuse / breaker ... someplace that is obscured. In our Jayco it was behind the pullout battery tray.

On Monday I'll open a ticket with FR. This might gave to be placed on hold till we can pull it out if storage. That's. March at the earliest. Right now we're expecting a week of heavy snow here in WNY. It's better off under cover and not working than in our drive under 3' of snow!

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might have two problems. Batteries are maybe beyond dead at 1 VDC and your convertor/charge isn't working. Since your coach is a 2016 very unlikely the convertor doesn't charge the house batteries. 1986 the possibility is a bit higher.

Try this. Start the engine and hit the AUX Start switch and see if you get lights and other 12VDC stuff. The AUX Start should work both directions. Not only to help with a low chassis battery but also if the house batteries are low. If you still don't have 12VDC to the house then maybe you have multiple problems and it's time to call in on potential warranty service.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power