Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Dialing Down/Up On Our Monaco Acquisition

"All things will change..." Oh well. But we're still in the game.

We've been working toward acquiring a 2007 to 2009 Monaco Dynasty. But, as all things change, we just can't/don't want to take on that level of debt at this time.

But accidentally while viewing ads I came across a 2001 Monaco Signature. WOW!!!! What a beautiful coach. Even at 14 years old. Depending on which one in the Signature line, these originally listed/sold for $500k to $600k. And they look it.

So my questions is: As we look more seriously at Monaco Signature for years 2000 to 2004 - other than the typical pre-qualifiers of checking out any used coach - what specifically should we look for in this series and age grouping:
1. Is one Signature series better/more opulent than the other in that series
2. Diesels of that era - is one manufacturer and engine size better/more desirable that the other
---a. Less/more pollution restrictions
---b. Higher torque/bang for the buck
---c. Higher/lower maintenance
3. What are the best options I should look for
4. Any particular warranty/recall issues in those years
5. What question have I left out???

Thanks for your help.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

My wife and I have lived full time in an '03 Sig, 40' 3 slide, Baroness floor plan for 8 years now. We can't imagine a better coach home. I have no knowledge of any systemic weakness in these coaches. Up through '03 the EPA standards were met without much engine modification. These coaches were built around the Cummins ISM which is a wonderful performer in motorhome service.

We did a major interior remodel in '11 and have up graded the TVs to HD flat screens. The chassis is the Roadmaster S Series chassis which is a semi monocoque design which is very strong. The chassis and house are so well built that they lend themselves to up grades.

If I can give you any specific information please feel free to PM me anytime.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

We did a major interior remodel in '11 and have up graded the TVs to HD flat screens.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
You can't post that and not share photos of your remodel.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
You can't post that and not share photos of your remodel.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422549888.633562.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422549926.836121.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422549959.470698.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422550007.356172.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422550049.258920.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  114.1 KB

I happened to have access to these on my Ipad. Not really much of the finished product. The credenza with fireplace replaced a sofa and the J sofa on the other side was replaced with a queen sleeper sofa. The tile flooring was installed front to back replacing carpet and porcelain tile.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've owned my '98 Sig since 2000. In addition to mine, the "fleet" we most often travel with consists of a '99, and a pair of '00 models... all Sigs. All of the coaches were purchased "pre owned" and have delivered outstanding service, amenities, and reliability. The handling, ride quality and control, power, towing capacity, and overall fit & finish of these coaches make them an excellent choice. Plus the advantage of fewer emission controls and no DEF requirement tips the scale even further....IMHO. Good luck with your decision and travel safe!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

They are beautiful coaches, I too am an admirer. I think Steve's is my new favorite, looks awesome!
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Looking good Steve. Thanks for sharing the pix.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

I feel you are making a solid switch in direction. An older higher quality coach like the Signature, especially with the ISM vs the ISL that comes in most Dynasty (a fine coach, but just not in the same league as the Signature), and probably in the same price point as few years newer Dynasty - is win/win for you. The ISM in the 2004 and before, will have less smog stuff on them too, not work as hard, and should yield comparable if not even a bit better MPG. I also feel the ride of this heavier rig, with the best Roadmaster suspension, will be superior too.

As Steve, who knows his stuff, mentioned - they are worthy of tossing some serious coin into for remodeling - making it our coach.

One question too, for those that know, does not some Signatures also have the BIG DETROIT engine in them? Another fine engine. Or am I confusing them with some of the Executive models, that I believe slots in between the Dynasty and the Signature?

Happy hunting!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I feel you are making a solid switch in direction. An older higher quality coach like the Signature, especially with the ISM vs the ISL that comes in most Dynasty (a fine coach, but just not in the same league as the Signature), and probably in the same price point as few years newer Dynasty - is win/win for you. The ISM in the 2004 and before, will have less smog stuff on them too, not work as hard, and should yield comparable if not even a bit better MPG. I also feel the ride of this heavier rig, with the best Roadmaster suspension, will be superior too.

As Steve, who knows his stuff, mentioned - they are worthy of tossing some serious coin into for remodeling - making it our coach.

One question too, for those that know, does not some Signatures also have the BIG DETROIT engine in them? Another fine engine. Or am I confusing them with some of the Executive models, that I believe slots in between the Dynasty and the Signature?

Happy hunting!
Smitty

You called it right on the DD Series 60. Starting in '03 both the Detroit and the Cummins ISX 15 liter were options on the Signature they were available on the Executive also. All the Signature engines were mated to the Allison 4000.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #10

Thanks all.

This info fits in well with our direction. And the upgrading worthiness Steve refers to is specifically why we don't want to do this to our current coach. while it's a nice one, but - IMO - doesn't justify the investment.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just my opinion but that 01 sig is way better than 07-09 dynasty.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #12

Oklahoma Boomers Club
My only complaint about the Sig's are the ceilings. Found in many Monaco models for that matter. Reminds me of a disco. Will be the 1st thing to go when we acquire ours.

Tags
monaco