Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldForester:
I have a couple comments in support of Donald M's reply.

When we were in Alaska last summer we received several rock chips in our windshield on our previous motorhome. We had them repaired at a small shop in Tok. The chip repair guy lived in Tok all his life and said he replaced 2 to 3 windshields per year due to cracks from rock chips on the Alaskan roads on his Dodge diesel pickup. He had a Daimon Fusion job in Anchorage on his last windshield a couple years ago and hadn't replaced a windshield yet. He had all the same comments about being easier to see through in the rain, easier to clean, etc. I have a lot of respect for his opinion since those of us who have been to Alaska know they probably have more rock chips and cracks to deal with than anyone, and he wasn't selling the treatment, just telling me how well it worked.

He strongly urged me to get a Daimon-Fusion job on my new coach's windshield when I picked it up last August. So far I have been looking for a dealer in the Seattle area and haven't found one, but when I do, I am going to have it done on our coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We met the same windshield repair man (while in Tok getting a chip repaired) and he told us the same about the fusion. We had a total of 3 chips our Alaska trip. All were from on coming vehicles. We will look into this product for our new motorhome.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #16

Maybe Donald Montgomery has any stories about this type of event? ? ?

Rock Comes THROUGH Windshield!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/19440210.cfm

Cost effectiveness means nothing compared to safety!!!!

Rick

Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #17

Rick M,
I do have one story where a large rock hit a mercedes-benz windshield that had Diamon-Fusion on it, and it did crack up the windshield, but the rock did not come through. The wife believes her husband would have been blinded and went off an embankment if not for Diamon-Fusion. I don't have the exact size of the rock, but I do have a picture and a testimony of the windshield afterwards. If anyone would like a copy, please email me back privately! Rick M., thanks for sharing that story with me!
Don

Gordon,
The national statistics for windshield damage says that 1 out of 8 vehicles will receive damage every year. Solid figures show that in the year 2000, 12.6 million windshields were replaced, our population that year was at 281 million, so on paper approx 1 out of every 20 windshields were replaced, just think how many more received damage. Here is the link for that article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...8/daily23.html
Please take into consideration the vertical nature of a Class "A" Motorhome windshield, it is like a glass wall going down the road.
Gordon, I am sorry, but you posted that Diamon-Fusion makes the glass 10% stronger, it should be that Diamon-Fusion makes the glass 10x stronger, 10x more scratch resistant. In a lab setting load required to damage untreated glass is .37 lbs. of force, after Diamon-Fusion, load required to damage is 4 lbs of force. This does not make it bullet proof, but it does keep alot of the smaller stuff from damaging your windshield. For instance the U.S. Army uses Diamon-Fusion on their bullet proof glass not to prevent bullets from going through the glass ,but to improve clarity of the thick glass, give us a leg up driving at night and in the rain, it also prevents the sandblast effect from pulverizing the glass. If anyone needs more clarification in regard to the viability of our product, please email me privately and I have a pdf. file I can email you, or you can contact me at 888-206-0447 x705.
Thanks,
Donald Montgomery
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Gotcha! My mistake. That makes more sense.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dfusaindiana:
Rick M,
I do have one story where a large rock hit a mercedes-benz windshield that had Diamon-Fusion on it, and it did crack up the windshield, but the rock did not come through. The wife believes her husband would have been blinded and went off an embankment if not for Diamon-Fusion. I don't have the exact size of the rock, but I do have a picture and a testimony of the windshield afterwards. If anyone would like a copy, please email me back privately! Rick M., thanks for sharing that story with me!
Don

Thanks,
Donald Montgomery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Don

Maybe the moderators would allow the story to be posted? - I believe it's important!
I think (given todays attitudes) that we must do all we can to protect ourselves.
This is why I say that anyone with a one piece windshield should seriously consider diamon fusion!

Rick
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

As to the story - As long as the personal who sent the testimonial will allow it, I don't see any reason that it can't be posted publicy. If they don't want to be identified, then steps would have to be taken to eliminate any personal identity.

Also, there was another thread running on this in the Newmar forum at the following link:

Diamon-Fusion

Check it out for additional information.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #21

Thanks Cruzer

Here is the picture & partial testimony. Note the large center of impact - to me it indicates a large object which if came THROUGH the window might have been a fatality.
I believe with the present day attitudes of class envy (or whatever you might call it) we will be facing more and more vandalisms against RVers. IMHO = Safty is well worth the price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
If they don't want to be identified, then steps would have to be taken to eliminate any personal identity.

Also, there was another thread running on this in the Newmar forum at the following link:

Diamon-Fusion

Check it out for additional information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Link to picture

Partial testimony: "Attached is the picture of the damage to the 2006 Mercedes S500
windshield.
As we discussed, I am hoping you can get your technician out here soon
as I am without a car to dive until this one gets repaired.

Also as we discussed, we believe that the diamond fusion treatment quite possibly saved my husband's life because if the windshield had broken it would have gone into his face and he may have lost control of the car and gone off the highway which has a very deep drop off. "
Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

That reminds me of the 1952 Carrera Panamerica race where a Mercedes hit a buzzard during the race. The next day it had "Buzzard Bars" mounted on it. For the picture and brief text check out This Link

It looks like maybe Mercedes should make bBuzzard Bars a factory option.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #23

Guess I'll get the DF info & look it over as I shop for a glass shop to do my driver's side. Baja driving isn't quite like Alaska's gravel road surfaces, but this is the second occurence in 6 years of driving Mex Hwy 1.
Hmmm, I wonder if WRV covers my windshield under the warranty?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #24

Got the pdf file on Diamond Fusion and swapped email with the researcher, Dr. LaCourse, that is cited there and on the DF website.
Tests were conducted long enough ago that Dr. LaCourse was "surprised they still use this info." They were done with a 4mm diameter impact surface (blunt, not sharp edged like most gravel chips) at low velocity. I'm with Gordon- extrapolating that to high impact velocity*, sharp edged projectiles vs nanometers-thick coating sounds like a job for Myth-Busters.

Which could easily be done at an FMCA rally in front of a huge crowd of anxious potential customers packing big sweaty wads of money. A dozen windshields vs. 3/4" angular gravel fired from a slingshot with a standardized pull to achieve say 50mph projectiles? If DF holds up to that, I'll have DF on every vehicle from now on and that's a fact.

* 80 mph is my estimate of the gravel bit that KO'd my windshield in Baja. My 50 mph plus the oncoming truck's velocity minus some deducts.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #25

Mike, have you ever considered slowing down, like maybe to 70 to possibly enhance your chances of a surviving windshield? Is the Mexican issue so bad that one must travel at those speeds. I believe we were all hoping that you would have the DF installed on your coach and we could get feed back from your experiences. We considered all chipping(ignore the pun) in but that would make for a slanted opinion. Is this a consideration?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #26

Ted- yes, if everyone chipped in I'd have the new windshield DF'd. Was that your question?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
A 4 mm diameter, what is that the size of a BB? And we don't know the mass of the object. But all windshields are safety laminated, so a windshield won't shatter.

I don't think DF will stop a 2x4 from penetrating a windshield, nor have bricks bouncing off. Maybe it would keep a small object from staring a windshield. I'm from Missouri, I'll wait for Myth-Busters too.

Mark(Cruzer), we were flying low in Nevada a few years back. A buzzard took off in front of us and misjudged our speed (warp). It hit the bug deflector on the hood of our P/U, shattered it, bounced up the hood into the windscreen . I'm sure if the buzzard hadn't hit the bug shield, we would have bought a new windshield. I'd opt for buzzard bars
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom and Patty:
A 4 mm diameter, what is that the size of a BB? And we don't know the mass of the object. But all windshields are safety laminated, so a windshield won't shatter.

I don't think DF will stop a 2x4 from penetrating a windshield, nor have bricks bouncing off. Maybe it would keep a small object from staring a windshield. I'm from Missouri, I'll wait for Myth-Busters too.

Mark(Cruzer), we were flying low in Nevada a few years back. A buzzard took off in front of us and misjudged our speed (warp). It hit the bug deflector on the hood of our P/U, shattered it, bounced up the hood into the windscreen . I'm sure if the buzzard hadn't hit the bug shield, we would have bought a new windshield. I'd opt for buzzard bars </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where I grew up it was ducks and moose. Not too much you can do to protect yourself from moose, sometimes they will almost tear the roof off of an automobile. Ducks are another problem. A co-worker of mine had one fly headfirst through his grill and the bill cut through the radiator. No problem he would camp out in his PickUp camper until someone came along so he thought. He found that a second duck hit high and the bill cut through the front wall above the window in the camper and then emptied itself inside there. He was glad none came through the windsheild.

I don't believe that this product could prevent the moose damage but would be interested in how it fares against the fowl.