Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 AM   #29
E-Mike, yes that was my question. Problem is I have not gotten any contributions to date.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 AM   #30
My coach that I bought used came with the diamond fusion already on it as the dealer was using that coach as a test for the product. I have had it now for over two years and to be honest I cant tell any difference in it vs any other glass on other vehicles. There is no way I would pay $1300 now for another one. And I am glad I didnt have to pay for this one. They just mentioned it to me at closing and gave me some brochures on it to show the claims.

I work in a technical/lab area and conduct material testing of all types and I just dont see how a layer of anything that thin can do half of what they claim. It just sounds like polyglycoat wax back in the day or the engine treatments of a few years ago.

Im not buying it myself.

rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #31
Hello All,

To give you a little background on myself, I am a certified Nondestructive Testing Technician in a variety of disciplines and an Aircraft Mechanic displaced now as a distributor for Diamon-Fusion. I have been in the glass business for 8 years in a variety of capacities.

I am going to condense my answers to your opinions right here.
First off, Mr. LaCourse is a very busy person, he did sign his name to the testing, secondly there are various ASTM and DIN Testing that are done on this product on a continious basis. Now if you are talking blunt versus round ball for load required to damage, I need to tell you this product does not increase the hardness of the glass it increases the strength by 10x and also makes the glass 10x stronger, it evenly distributes the impact and fills in all stress risers. Major companies would not be offering our product under their name unless this is a viable product.

I can tell you I have had this product, which was applied to my used 2003 Chevy Astro Van badly beaten up windshield, first I have had no further damage whether it be a stone chip or pitting, my wipers are no longer carving a path in my glass, my windshield is still easier to clean, the nighttime glare and sunglare are still dramatically reduced, and water is still rolling off of the windshield in dramatic fashion!! So my question is to you, are you using the Diamon-Keep that comes with the product to revitalize and clean on a quarterly basis? This product will last the life of the windshield WHEN properly maintained!!! If you have a 3m mask protecting your paint, I believe they have a revitalizer for their product also, even though it is a sheet of 3m, almost perfectly smooth.
There are 2 ways to get this product out of your glass:1. Sand the glass down, as you are sanding the glass down you are sanding the product down. 2. Sodium Hydroxide which is a lye solution, it will take 4 hours to remove it this way. Diamon-Fusion makes a covalent bond with the glass, the strongest chemical bond that can be made, becomes part of the glass and there is no equal available on the market. If we are trying to sell something that is just smoke and mirrors, why would we offer a warranty that covers your windshield for less then you can get insurance on it for?
Bottom line is once you experience the beauty of Diamon-Fusion you can keep it with a little maintenance, it just does not disappear into thin air, or migrate off the windshield with wiper use. I hope this clarifies a couple of remarks that were recently made.
Donald Montgomery
dfusaindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #32
Don- My criticisms were not that the product is bunk, but rather that your company's explanation of how a nano-thin coating can protect me from high velocity gravel is bunk. i.e., I cannot discern whether there is any relationship of the improvements claimed to the tests performed, because the description of the test is uninteligible.

I do find it credible that the military is a buyer for soon-to-be-sand-blasted glass. If ever there was a test-happy market... However, the mechanisms involved in sand-sized projectile deflection, and chip & crack producers like gravel seem logically different vs the nano-thin coating (i.e. orders of magnitude of particle inertia). This is not to say DF isn't all that it claims, but rather the story needs to be told clearly as to how the test shows that a rock won't ruin my already expensive windshield.

And after my very brief exchanges with Professor LaCourse, it appears he may have some of the same concerns:
"Thanks for that information. I did not realize the extent of their use of my name. I will be in contact with them.
Jim Varner and I are working on a scratch resistance test. The real issues are:
For sharp indenters a thin coating will not have the same effect as for a blunt indenter. The mechanisms of damage are totally different.
A sharp indenter damage depends on hardness, modulus, etc. A blunt indenter does not depend much on hardness, but does depend on friction coefficient."
Road gravel has specifications for angularity that would classify it as a sharp indenter, IMO. This is not to say that the improvement that DF imparts isn't effective, but just that the fumbling explanation on DF's website and pdf literature (the pdf is a copy of the website on this testing point for those who want to avoid the duplication BTW) leads me to conclude DF's marketing lit extrapolates more than a bit beyond the testing done by the Professor. Contacting the Professor shores up that opinion.

To summarize, if DF is all that it claims for crack control, all it would take to both prove the point undeniably and sell the heck out of the product, is a lively demonstration with real windshields, real gravel, and a calibrated slingshot. That obviates all theory, calculative hocus pocus, assumptions, marketing schmaltz, caveat emptor, and probably a good deal of price resistance as well. And although I think it would be the run-away smash hit , so to speak, of FMCA rallies, and sell the product off the shelf, you could reduce the excercise to a video on your website that might be even more effective in its market reach.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #33
Alpine Owners Club
Well Mike, you really do sound/think like an engineer. Good job!
Frank Rouse

VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #34

You indeed know what you are talking about, but I would have to offer one more variable to this equation, stress risers- The peaks and valleys in your glass create stress risers, when a rock hits your glass it grabs on to the so called peak and the concentrated stress is exerted in the so called valley which in turn creates a chip. When you fill in these peaks and valleys, the load is evenly distributed across the windshield. So in effect you get rid of the stress points across the windshield. Don't get me wrong a rock can hit your windshield with enough force to damage your windshield, but most of the smaller stuff will not hurt it.

Mike, I am a Distributor for the product, if you want to know more about calibrated rock effects on DF applied windshields, that would be something for Corporate to publish, but there are many testimonies to back up our claim and remember that is just 1 of the 4 properties of Diamon-Fusion:
1. 10x stronger, 10x more scratch resistant.
2. 20% more brilliant dramatically reducing sunglare and nighttime glare
3. Smoother- bugs, tree sap, road tar, ice and snow are much easier to remove.
4. Ultra-water repellent- The harder it rains the more the water rolls off
Hope this gives you yet another perspective on this awesome product.
Donald Montgomery
dfusaindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #35
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the diamond fusion on my RV windshield and windows and live and an area where by I have replaced three windshields in my truck in four years and one in my car, I also have additional chips I have recieved in both car and truck but they have yet to crack. I have recieved only one chip on my RV and DF came in and filled it in and repaired it. They also tell me if the window cracks they replace it as well. To me its worth the cost. I am about ready to have my car and my truck done as well. In my opinion it works.

Lee and Fran
Holiday Rambler Vacationer
While traveling down lives paths stop to smell the flowers.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote