Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Diamond Mask Mold

I know this has been covered before, but does anyone have advice about how to remove the Diamond Mask from the front of my coach? It's all dirty and moldy underneath and peeling it off without some sort of "trick" is nearly impossible. Thanks for the help!

carandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Some use a heat gun some tried steamers it's slow go with plastic razor blades you will have a good chance that the paint will get messed up. Try searching in different areas in the forum.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
There are at least two type of film out there - one is made by 3M and the other by Diamond Shield. Diamond Shield has always labeled their product with a Diamond decal installed under the passenger mirror mount (on most coaches).

Actual Diamond shield is removed by pointing your coach into the sun, grabbing a corner, and peeling it off. Heat is the main removal tool.

The 3M stuff is harder to remove (from the descriptions posted here) and requires heat, solvent, and possibly more to get it off.

Figure out what you have before diving in and trying it.
Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
getting the film off is only maybe 30% of the issue. the residual "glue" is super difficult to get off. acetone seemed to work best for me, soak a small rag in it and then put it on the area for a few min.. not to long or it can take the paint off as well. I also had success with a product that looks like goo-off, but is different and I think it is basically acetone as well. once you have it softened up with the solvent, then you can use a combination of plastic razor blades and a clean cloth to remove it.
Hugh 'n Deb - USAF Retired B-52 Pilot
2004 Safari Zanzibar 40', Jeep Grand Cherokee - HEMI, BlueOx TowBar, SMI AF1
Hugmongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
What good is this stuff if people have to remove it?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
What good is this stuff if people have to remove it?
It initially was a way to protect the front end from stone damage to the paint. It works well that way. The problem is that is doesn't age out well. When it's new it's nice.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Forest River Owners Club
I had the 3M crap on the front of my coach and it did the exact same thing... Spent hours trying to get it off and finally came up with this solution:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465152676.115710.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	129249

I had spray-on bed liner material applied to the lower portion of the front and love it's look and durability... Lifetime warranty and they sprayed it directly over the 3M disaster.... Comes in various colors....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
I didn't know there were problems with mold etc getting under the mask? It seems like all coach companies use them and the obviously question is. Is there a way to stop the mold and stop the kinds of other things that would make you want to take it off?

I don't mean to hijack carandles thread I've just not heard of this before!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
No. I babied mine but lost the battle. I may have slowed it down some but once those first few places showed up under the headlights it has been downhill. I washed it every time we stopped. I immediately put Final Detail spray wax on it to keep bugs from sticking. I kept it clean yet the mold started at the application cuts edges anyway. It looked good from Jan 2010 until summer 2015 when it started. Sob!
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
I agree...ours looked fine for the first few years but over time it just looks terrible. And it's extremely difficult to remove. Oh well, no silver bullets. Thanks everyone.
carandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Extreme patience is needed when removing it. As mentioned heat is the key either by sun, heat gun or steamer. The best motion isn't a peeling motion, but pulling it toward yourself with a slight upward angle. Afterward I'd recommend the solution ernest917 has. I've seen a few coach's done with a spray on bedliner and they do look great, especially that now you can get spray on liners in colors. Had I kept our Dutch Star that's what I would've done.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I am slowly in the process of removing the 3M mask from our coach. A heat gun will remove the plastic with a plastic razor easily. The glue is a different story. I have tried acetone, it works some but do not use it if there is any of the clear coat missing as it will remove the paint. Goof Off, also helps and safer for the paint but not great. WD40 no help at all. MEK not much help either.

Then a deatailer guy working on a fifth wheel next to us one day suggested this http://www.amazon.com/REMOVER-Adhesi...=rapid+remover
Yes it is exspensive but it has been working better than any other option so far. Carefully heat and scrape off the plastic with a plastic razor, available at most automotive stores. This leaves a mess consisting of adhesive and dirt. Spray on RR and wait 60-120 seconds. Then most of the gunk will push off with the razor. You will need to do a second run at it then even a third with the RR just sprayed on a paper towel. Do yourself a favor and get either shop towels or Viva paper towels. The cheap ones fall apart.

I have only been doing one panel at a time so it doesn't get to feel like a full time job but a body shop told me it would cost about three days labor. The detailer said he quotes a flat $1000 to get the crap off.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #13
I have recent experience removing the mask. On my '03 Camelot, it was in very bad shape with the moldy streaks all over the front. PO tried to remedy the situation with a vinyl snap-on bra which was a real pain every time I needed to check the gen oil, etc. I watched a few You Tube videos, read the threads here and decided to try it myself. I chose to use steam, plastic "razor blades", and a citrus based adhesive remover. After about 12 hours of work over 2 days, I had a section about 18 inches square perfectly clean with no paint damage. I decided that it was way too much work, all of it standing or stooping, so I paid to have it done at Alliance in Wildwood. They have someone come in and do it - in my case it was 2 young guys using steamers exactly like I used and it took them about 4 hours. Total cost was $800. I polished the front end and used Rejex after. I'd rather live with stone chips than the shield any day. I think the spray on bed liner is probably the best solution and wish I'd done that. I'll try to post before/after photos.
MikeandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
This is a before photo on May 16.

MikeandJan is offline   Reply With Quote