Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

How are you removing it. I am about to start this same project and plan on using heat from a hair dryer or a steam heat appliance and start peeling at the edges with plastic type scrapers. Then clean the residue with 3-M adhesive remover or goof off as you did. I have been looking for some cheap labor to do this job and as it turns out I got the job. Any special techniques or tips would be appreciated. Thanks
This is all I used - but with both hands. The gloves are because the edges of the scraper are sharp. I found that a heat gun didn't seem to make much difference as long as it's warm outside. The only "technique" I use, other than using a sawing type motion, is to be patient. A two feet by four inch strip might take half an hour or more to strip and clean. I haven't even tried stripping the big pieces yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3297182185.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	41580  

Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Sounds like I will omit the Diamond Shield and keep a monthly application of Rejex on the nose!

Fulltimer Class of Late 2015, with my bride, Lori.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
I had removed some of my Diamond Shield before the damage occurred. I was able to remove it with a small, hard plastic scraper and 3M adhesive remover. A Bondo scraper is not hard enough to do the job. I did not loose any paint, but the body shop lost a lot of paint, as they were trying to make rates, where I was able to take my time. I found that sunlight put enough heat on the film to remove it without stripping the paint. A heat gun seemed to make the Diamond Shield a little too soft and it would tear.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi vraines,
I did the same as you. However, I added a bra to the front of the coach. For me it works. Depending on how you RV, you may want to consider a bra.
It really doesn't depend in how I RV - I would not consider a bra!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
It really doesn't depend in how I RV - I would not consider a bra!
Ummm... Too much info!!!!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a new Discovery this year and it came with Diamond Shield. I didn't know anything about it at the time and thought it was a good thing. Three months later and it's a pain in the a##. Our color scheme has white along the bottom of the front and we found out that bug strikes stain diamond shield. We are accumulating yellow and red polka dots that are stained into the DS. It also makes it hard to get bug residue off as the DS turns cloudy when you scrub it. I've ordered some 303 to use on it and hopefully that will keep it from staining and make bug removal easier.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G / 2012 GMC Acadia
Craigls2 is offline   Reply With Quote