Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
what i am talking of is like that you say but it cut very very fast strong stuff but well not hurt paint

you start from the top spray it on and in about 10 min all the eadgs start to peal up and in 45 mins with out touching it... spraying it on about 2 more times 4inc latters would fall right off

if there was cracks in it from age like they used the 4 year and not the 7 year out doors vinyls it would cut even faster

if came in a galen jug and look at RC airplane fuel the color was how strong it was and how fast it would cut

one % did not cut so fast and was used for if you need to reinstall on what ever you where working on mins latter

the high % was for if you where not needing to go right back on with any thing right away

god i am trying hard to remember the name they used for this stuff

The stuff work great on old vinyl lettering. We started using a big grinder looking machine with a 5 inch rubber flap wheel. We can do a box truck 20 long in a hour or 2.

The clear bra material just laughs at this machine. We tried it on my friends RV and it took 20 minutes for a 2''x2'' spot and still needed to clean the glue off.

In my opinion the money spent on the clear bra and costs to remove it and replace it in 5 years you could repaint the front of the rv. I am not putting anything on the front of mine except a nice wax to remove bug guts. I wont follow dump trucks and touch up the 5 rock chips every 2-3 years.

BTW I still have to work for a living and its not worth my or my employees time to remove the clear bra. Its cheaper for me to sub out. If you were retired and had enough time our wanted a break from the wife dragging you to a cat figurine show than I would do it. Or if you were really mad at the world and needed to take out some aggression.
Steveoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveoreno View Post
The stuff work great on old vinyl lettering. We started using a big grinder looking machine with a 5 inch rubber flap wheel. We can do a box truck 20 long in a hour or 2.

The clear bra material just laughs at this machine. We tried it on my friends RV and it took 20 minutes for a 2''x2'' spot and still needed to clean the glue off.

In my opinion the money spent on the clear bra and costs to remove it and replace it in 5 years you could repaint the front of the rv. I am not putting anything on the front of mine except a nice wax to remove bug guts. I wont follow dump trucks and touch up the 5 rock chips every 2-3 years.

BTW I still have to work for a living and its not worth my or my employees time to remove the clear bra. Its cheaper for me to sub out. If you were retired and had enough time our wanted a break from the wife dragging you to a cat figurine show than I would do it. Or if you were really mad at the world and needed to take out some aggression.

well i found the older 3M stuff i was talking about

in this video that is what there using and its with printed vinyl with.. tip for some on the RV side what we call Damond Shield is really only the UV film used to add more years on to ..out door and in door inks .. after the Pinter prints on the vinyl and its added on top

i have a left over roll of it in my RV

again this stuff is hard to find and is not very well known

last i know it was made by 3M but it did not have any name of 3M on it and i am not sure what is was called my dad had gallons of this stuff

if any one has the time to go to the INTERNATIONAL SIGN EXPO 2015 (Las Vegas, NV) - Public Relations & Advertising - Marketing & Selling - Multimedia Technologies - Retail & Shop Fitting Equipment & Service in orlando that every time i have been there they had a both for this stuff
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #73

Maybe some people get lucky.. I tried to slowly pull the Diamond shield off from the corner and it was going great until i got around the front and it actually pulled a layer of paint off. I stopped right there. I'm thinking Bra for now because i see a re-paint on the front in the future.
2008 Fleetwood Providence 40x
NeilEspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #74

DDMA, if you are still out there.
I have just begun my investigation into the removal of DS. Saw you video and was very impressed. Would prefer a DIY approach and use the money saved to rent campsites this summer. Thanks, Therapy Guy
THERAPY GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #75

Check out my last post in The Damon thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/prob...ra-273705.html
Dave Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #76

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How to remove Diamond Shield

I removed mine by going the Home Depot and renting a vapor steam cleaning machine from the rental section. It took me about 8 hours to remove all of the shield from my coach. The steam getting up to a temperature of 240 degrees from the triangle brush wand but if you wrap the brush with a terry cloth it concentrates the heat and make it easy to pull large pieces of the material off at a time. The material comes off with no residue.
jawhite50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:24 AM   #77

The weird thing is to make it easier you actually pull the shield up & toward you while applying heat. It's easier with two people, one applying the heat, the other pulling the crap off.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #78

I also find it interesting that Diamond Shield now offers a lifetime warranty...BUT won't promise you won't get mold again. Nor will they cover any paint damage that might occur when removing.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #79

Hello y’all.
I wanted to post this update to my previous inquiries about removal of the Diamond Shield from our 2007 DSDP 4023.I read most of the posts on this subject and gave serious consideration to attempting the process on my own. However, there are some things I feel should be done by the people that know how and what to do. I really didn’t want to screw this up and have greater problems.I read one post by Ramets dated 2/25/14, from when he was in Silver Springs Fl., as well as the many follow up posts to his, as well as all the horror stories that were posted. I decided to investigate who was in Florida where I live. I found a place in Tampa Fl called Florida Applied Films, 1-863-698-9696. The owner is Shane. He and I had many conversations about the removal process. Even though I wanted the DS removed I was nervous about a bad result like I had seen posted by others. I decided to “dive in” and not just dangle my toes. Good choice. I took the coach to him last week, June 21, at 10 am and he was finished at 2:30 pm. There was no large area paint loss, which I feared. I have a few areas where touch up paint will be all that is needed, mostly around the head lamps. He had quoted me a price of $700.00 to do the job but I paid less because of the Tampa RV show referral. I’m telling you guys this man knows his stuff. He told me that he does most of the work for Independence RV in Winter Garden Fl, which is a Newmar Dealer. As for integrity, he was going into the coach to back it out of his shop, and the entrance door handle, which is just clear acrylic, broke. He deducted its cost and contacted Independence RV and ordered me a new one. This is an honest straight shooter. The kind of person we all want to have knowledge about. I highly recommend him. As I understand it he is also mobile. Could be the guy Ramets used. Good luck to everyone. Drive safe.
THERAPY GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #80

I've followed this thread for quite a while. I eventually had my DS removed by a great body shop and the front repainted. Better than new. I take a lot of time keeping the front clean and waxed. After a couple of years it still looks great. Lots of good advice on this thread.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #81

I tried many methods to remove my 3M bra. It was left on way too long, because I tried to get it off, starting about 5 years after it was installed when it started cracking. Labor intensive! So over the years I would try working on it a little bit at a time. Very frustrating. But ... Thanks Diplomat Dan! Dan's advice, from a previous older post on irv.com of "Problems with 3m bra." Finally ended my Clear Bra Removal Nightmare, by using a 3000psi Water Pressure Washer. Viewable video at:

Thanks again Dan!
bboone is offline   Reply With Quote