Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
i'm in Silver Springs, Fl., and I have a Diamond shield guy coming out in a week to remove it. I started to do it myself, but it became such a P.I.T.A. I said the hell with this and called Diamond Shield who contacted a guy who's contracted to them. He then called me to set up an appt. to get this crap off. It's gonna cost me $700 but to me it's worth it. I saw it being removed late last year at Alliance RV in Wildwood, Fl. and the guys doing the work were using steamers to get it off. When they were done you'd never know it was ever there. After I get it off I might check into getting a bra.
Ramets, would you let me know how those guys remove your shields and how long it takes to remove it?

Do you have a picture of yours?
DDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
Does yours look as bad as mine?

I would have given up $700 to get this done. $1200 may approach new paint job on the nose.

I have steamer, heat gun..... someone suggested the rubber wheel that is used to remove decals and accent strips. I may give that a go.

May end up hiring a few folks and have them go at it for a couple of days. I bet I will come out cheaper.

I would like to hear more about the removal and your experience with it. Please keep posting!

Thanks.
Mine looks as bad as yours on the right side. The rest has mold under it. They tried to get me to buy the new & improved version of Diamond Shield. I said no...but they said it has a lifetime warranty. That's all well and good if I'm somewhere that has someone who can remove it. Don't believe the rubber wheel will work, it's for decals. I wouldn't hire just anyone to get that stuff off. It can pull the paint off if they don't know what they're doing. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Just had my Diamond Shield removed by a Pro with 140 removals and this work is not for starters....1.5 day Job, Wax incl et touch-up paint for some areas at $600 - which is a great price offered to Newmar owners since the Tampa Super show.
Wayne M 239-240-0793 - Fort Myers Area - FYI
Great Job
some pre and post photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0651.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	57142   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0663.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	57143  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0664.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	57144  
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #18

LOL. Yours didn't look as bad as mine. If your professional took 1.5 days prolly it will take a few days by non professional. At $600 I will be all for removing the shield by the professional.

$1200 is not cheap. Did you see what they used to facilitate the job?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Ramets, would you let me know how those guys remove your shields and how long it takes to remove it?

Do you have a picture of yours?
The guys are coming this wed.(5th) to remove it. I'll let you know how it turns out. I do have a couple pic's, but I'm computer illiterate, and don't know how to post them.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
LOL. Yours didn't look as bad as mine. If your professional took 1.5 days prolly it will take a few days by non professional. At $600 I will be all for removing the shield by the professional.

$1200 is not cheap. Did you see what they used to facilitate the job?
$600 for 10 hours of work is not too expensive, I think. As for the method 1) heat 2) scrape using special plastic scrapes 3) Solvent and more scraping to remove the glue 4) Wax......technique already posted on IRV2
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #21

Like to second "render" as well, used Wayne Michalski (239-240-0793) in Ft Meyers as well on my 2006 Airstream A-37, great results, looks like new again, about 10 hrs of labor. Price $600 (tampa super show special) highly recommend Wayne.
DamCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in the process of removing D/S from our 09 Southwind. Have removed the top section so far. As others have said it is time consuming. We removed it a little at a time using sunlight to warm and soften it. There is no majic method. When I spoke with D/S reps at this years FMAC rally about the mold issue, their only response was pay us to remove it and buy our new and improved D/S,LOL. All paint so far has come out like the day it was painted.Good luck how ever you decide to remove this poor excuse for a product.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #23

OK, the guys just left after removing my Diamond Shield. Took them a little over an hour, and I'm telling you, you can't tell it was ever on in the first place. The hardest part for them was removing the glue that was left on from where I tried to do it. Thankfully it was a small area. Where they did the removing I'd say 99% of the glue came right up with the DS. It just blew me away how easy they made it look, and how good it looks. The place that did it is called "SMC Diversified Services". I'm not sure where they are located in Florida, their card doesn't say, but they seem to travel around the state doing the removals. I think I heard one of them say they're in the Lakeland area. I'm currently in Silver Springs so they at least come this far. If I'm allowed, here's the phone # 863-860-1880, ask for Nick, web site www.FloridaAppliedFilms.com. These guys are complete professionals, they don't mess around, they come to get the job done, and are meticulous in making sure it's done right. I can't sing their praises enough. They did a helluva job!!!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #24

Quote:
OK, the guys just left after removing my Diamond Shield. Took them a little over an hour, and I'm telling you, you can't tell it was ever on in the first place. The hardest part for them was removing the glue that was left on from where I tried to do it. Thankfully it was a small area. Where they did the removing I'd say 99% of the glue came right up with the DS. It just blew me away how easy they made it look, and how good it looks. The place that did it is called "SMC Diversified Services". I'm not sure where they are located in Florida, their card doesn't say, but they seem to travel around the state doing the removals. I think I heard one of them say they're in the Lakeland area. I'm currently in Silver Springs so they at least come this far. If I'm allowed, here's the phone # 863-860-1880, ask for Nick, web site www.FloridaAppliedFilms.com. These guys are complete professionals, they don't mess around, they come to get the job done, and are meticulous in making sure it's done right. I can't sing their praises enough. They did a helluva job!!!!!
OK you have our attention, how did they do it? What did they use? Any special chemicals? Heat or no heat? Peel or Scrape? Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #25

One guy used a heat gun, while another pulled it off in long sheets. Not sure what they sprayed on with a squirt bottle to get what little glue that was left, but it sure took it off with just a minimal amount of scrapping with a plastic scrapper.. I had some Xylene that I thought they might want to use, but they don't use it. They made it look so simple, but they've been doing it for 8yrs. so they know what they're doing.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
OK, the guys just left after removing my Diamond Shield. Took them a little over an hour
1 hour......
Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden View Post
1 hour......
Hour????
Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #28

$600 an hour.