Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #43

Here is the video promised.

During 17 seconds of the video, you can see how much the cracked Diamond Shield has been removed.

Mine had been so badly cracked that they were asking $1200 to remove. I have heard that professionals have declined to work on the Diamond Shields that have gone this bad.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
DDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
Thinking about selling the solvent. But I am not sure how well it will work with virgin shield without any cracks. I only tested on my coach and I know it works when things are as badly cracked as mine does.

Who has one that is as badly cracked as mine?

I will share some video as how fast this can be done.
WOW...how does it work on DS that's not cracked as bad? And where can I get some??
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #45

Amazing. On mine the cracks were actually the lines in the adhesive under the top clear film. Was yours actual cracks through the top clear film?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #46

Mine had cracks. I had areas where it didn't crack but my method in conjunction with DS Eraser (I would call it from now on.) Still worked well.

Cracks allowed penetration of the DSE well.

This is rather a discovery, definitely not something scientifically approached.

Coach looks so much better without.

Would anyone be interested in buyin this? I am seriously considering putting a company around this and start sending out a small sample if there is enough interest. Or I will just help out with people who wants to DIY.

If anyone's shield is messed up as mine I can save you some significant amount of time very predictably.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Mine had cracks. I had areas where it didn't crack but my method in conjunction with DS Eraser (I would call it from now on.) Still worked well.
I'd call it Awesome Sauce.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd certainly buy the stuff. However, the question is did it work so well because your DS was cracked and brittle, perhaps with much of the adhesive weakened over time? Would the solvent work as well on newer DS that is in better shape but still wanting to remove it before it gets trashy looking?

I'd say you need to do a bit of R&D and see if it will work on any/all of these Protectant films, regardless of condition. I'll volunteer
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #49

Upon research I found out these membranes or shields are porous. That is why fungus grows underneath.

How well it works that is a question to be answered. I know the adhesive is definitely vulnerable to DSE.

I might do a pilot study with someone nearby. If anyone is interested let me know.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Upon research I found out these membranes or shields are porous. That is why fungus grows underneath. How well it works that is a question to be answered. I know the adhesive is definitely vulnerable to DSE. I might do a pilot study with someone nearby. If anyone is interested let me know.
Where are you?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #51

Boston, MA
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #52

DSE should work it is just that you don't scrape them off like I have.

I believe it is just matter of developing a technique.

On my bumper I had segments that were not cracked and it didn't take any longer to remove them.

You should be able to pull the shield once the adhesive has been dissolved. Or worst case scrape them off like I have.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #53

Two questions:

How much of the solvent did you use?

What were you thinking of charging for such a quantity?

If you decide to market the "proprietary solvent", thinking out loud - have you considered the cost of liability insurance to protect you from possible litigation? McDonalds paid a fortune because someone was stupid enough to dump a cup of coffee in their lap! COFFEE!! Can't imagine all the possible risk/damage scenarios once Joe Q Public starts inventing new applications for this "Awesome Sauce" because they were not specifically caution NO TO! Of course there is always the chance you might win your case if you have the time and financial resources to endure the often lengthy court proceedings.
ISM500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
I need to remove mine and its not as bad as in the pics. Love to try it. I agrre that some testing must be done before going to market.
Steveoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #55

I totally agree about more testing. You can't say those extremely obvious things and hope to get a disagreement out of it. LOL

You can't stop stupid from doing stupid things. You can't expect average Joe to do anything more than average. If I was worried about doing something because someone can sue me then I shouldn't have tried fixing teeth for living.

There are many products out there that can be sued against. Tire monitors for instance, you can die from tire blow out leading to an accident. Yet people still buy a tire monitor that monitors pressure every few minutes. I hear people that when they had a blow out that the monitor was still showing that the tire had a pressure.

Norcold propane refrigerator catching on fire, last time I checked, they are still in business.

Nonetheless, I don't need money from this. I am just trying to help out those who need help in getting the shield off when everyone has declined to provide removal service or trying to charge outrageous amount of money for a job that is rather made simple. Trust me, less of this, I am better off. I am doing this for fun of it.

I used about 1/2 gal of the DSE to remove the entire shield. I wasn't conserving the solvent. I liberally used it.

If I have to cover my behind because someone was getting the idea of suing me before the product takes off, maybe I should sell it at much higher cost... Guys thank ISM500 for the potential increase in product cost. I didn't think that I would have to reflect potential lawsuit into the pricing of the product but I guess I will. Thanks ISM500 for covering my a$$.

Maybe I shouldn't even share this with anyone and take it to my grave as I am really better off both financially and physically not getting myself involved in this.

BTW, suing McDonald had a merit because they won't file a bankruptcy or liquidate a company over a single lawsuit that maybe worth a few mil. It was also very clear what happened and it is rather obvious that boiling hot water poured over on someone lap, that is difficult un-prove.

On the other hand, Mom and pop shop properly Inc or LLCed can have protection against lawsuits that can come after their personal properties.

If anyone is interested in this product and is near me, we can talk. Or if anyone is interested in general PM me I will answer questions in individual basis. It won't be free as I am paying to make these. My goal is to help save hundreds in DIY removal of DS. BTW it is safe to use and water soluble non toxic stuff even directly on our skin.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ddma…….quote 1: Nonetheless, I don't need money from this. I am just trying to help out

quote 2: I am doing this for fun of it.

quote 3: It won't be free as I am paying to make these.

Which is it? If your just trying to help your RV comrades why not just tell them what you sprayed on the diamond shield and let them find it locally or mix up a batch? I believe the intent behind this forum is to provide advise to fellow members, not to peek their interest in a potential product you want to sell to them. I believe that would be called advertising. You could always pay to advertise on this wonderful sight and since you don't need the money, donate any profits to the sight. Less any advertising fees you might incur of course.