Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #1

Diamond Shield removal and Qs

Hi guys,

I need to remove Diamond shield and mine is badly cracked everywhere.

Bought the coach used and I did not let it get this bad.

I have heard gasoline, plastic razor, scrapper, heat... And with all that it can take up to a week.

I have called the Diamond Shield directly and they are supposed to get back to me with estimate but it has been over a week. I suppose they are tryin to walk away.

Just wondering, has there been mass class action law suit against them yet?
DDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
DDMA I am working on my 3m mask now, not fun I have about 30% done, the easiest I found so far in doing it in the sun after it has warmed up, Im in AZ now, and using plastic razor blades, buy a 100 or so, and some sort of holder and glue remover. Good luck.
Abrasive Blasting Cabinets, Auto Body Repair items in TP Tools and Equipment store on eBay!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

There have been a bunch of processes posted on this site with varying degrees of success. I depended on sunlight to soften the adhesive, but not mid-day sun. The strong sunlight seemed to soften the shield and cause it it break off. I used a hard plastic scraper similar to a Bondo spreader, but much harder. I got it at a auto paint store. They gave it to me. I used 3M adhesive remover and it worked very well. I lost almost no paint, but the rock impact point on the shield were the most problematic. It took a lot of time,but the cost was mainly time. I tried a heat gun, but that was a PIA, and was not any better than working in the sun. Don't be afraid of this. You will be pleased with the result.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #4

I worked at camping world and diamond shield sent a teck to remove the stuff due to a warrenty problem, he used a heat gun and took his time not to damage the coach. I would say in the sun and light heat from a heat gun and you'll do fine just take a while.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the post guys.

When I say bad, I mean this. Maybe I understated this. I anticipate pulling little pieces at a time.

Diamond Shield quoted $1200 for the removal.

I feel like hiring 'manual labor' folks and have them work on it and come out cheaper.

Has anyone done that? Is this work highly sensitive to technique?

I can do it but if I were to do it for a week, I might as well pay Diamond to do it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3472.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	56903  
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #6

i'm in Silver Springs, Fl., and I have a Diamond shield guy coming out in a week to remove it. I started to do it myself, but it became such a P.I.T.A. I said the hell with this and called Diamond Shield who contacted a guy who's contracted to them. He then called me to set up an appt. to get this crap off. It's gonna cost me $700 but to me it's worth it. I saw it being removed late last year at Alliance RV in Wildwood, Fl. and the guys doing the work were using steamers to get it off. When they were done you'd never know it was ever there. After I get it off I might check into getting a bra.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
Hi guys,

I need to remove Diamond shield and mine is badly cracked everywhere.

Bought the coach used and I did not let it get this bad.

I have heard gasoline, plastic razor, scrapper, heat... And with all that it can take up to a week.

I have called the Diamond Shield directly and they are supposed to get back to me with estimate but it has been over a week. I suppose they are tryin to walk away.

Just wondering, has there been mass class action law suit against them yet?
Here is a thread I started on removing the 3-M product. The same steps would apply to the Diamond Shield. Hopes this helps.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/anot...ct-169409.html
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

I am not sure any suit against 3M or Diamond shield will go anywhere. It is advertised to protect from stone ships and bug damage and it does exactly as advertised. I am still amazed that RV manufacturers are installing the junk, knowing full well that it will do crack and mold will form beneath the film.Not to mention that paint can damage when removing the crap. I ordered our new Phaeton WITHOUT and had a Bra made for $599. Get to our destination and remove the Bra. Last three MH did the same and in five years the front looks like brand new !
Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
i'm in Silver Springs, Fl., and I have a Diamond shield guy coming out in a week to remove it. I started to do it myself, but it became such a P.I.T.A. I said the hell with this and called Diamond Shield who contacted a guy who's contracted to them. He then called me to set up an appt. to get this crap off. It's gonna cost me $700 but to me it's worth it. I saw it being removed late last year at Alliance RV in Wildwood, Fl. and the guys doing the work were using steamers to get it off. When they were done you'd never know it was ever there. After I get it off I might check into getting a bra.

Does yours look as bad as mine?

I would have given up $700 to get this done. $1200 may approach new paint job on the nose.

I have steamer, heat gun..... someone suggested the rubber wheel that is used to remove decals and accent strips. I may give that a go.

May end up hiring a few folks and have them go at it for a couple of days. I bet I will come out cheaper.

I would like to hear more about the removal and your experience with it. Please keep posting!

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
Thanks for the post guys.

When I say bad, I mean this. Maybe I understated this. I anticipate pulling little pieces at a time.

Diamond Shield quoted $1200 for the removal.

I feel like hiring 'manual labor' folks and have them work on it and come out cheaper.

Has anyone done that? Is this work highly sensitive to technique?

I can do it but if I were to do it for a week, I might as well pay Diamond to do it for me.

Are the cracks shown in the picture all the way through the surface, or are they under the surface material. Most I have seen or under the surface material, I know mine was was. It seems that what fails is the adhesive. Nice advertisement for Diamond Shield with their emblem and phone number shown in the picture.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #11

Diamond Shield Removal

My wife and I have just completed the removal of Diamond Shield from our 2007 Discovery. We tried all of the methods suggested in the IRV-2 forums. All of the suggested methods worked to some degree. What worked best for us was to work in the early morning , before the sun was on the coach. We used a Wagner wall paper steamer to soften the adhesive and pulled the plastic coating using our fingers. Do not get the plastic to hot or it will stretch and break. On the sections where the mold was very dark the plastic would break into small pieces. We used plastic razor blades in holders to remove the small pieces. The residual adhesive was removed using alternate sprays of 3M General Adhesive Remover and then Xylene. The operative word here is PATIENCE! Let the chemicals do the work, spray several times if necessary. Then use the plastic razor blades to remove the adhesive. Don't forget to cover your headlight lenses. The chemicals will etch them. We are in our senior years and got the job done, you youngsters (less than 65 ) should be able to do this easily. We did it in 30 hours between the two of us.
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #12

This is a Sweat Equity project for sure. What do you think 30 hrs of labor for 2 people would cost. I am sure glad my 3-M cover is off but I would not want to do this job again.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
There is nothing inherently wrong with the 3m films, it is mostly
a lack of proper care, cleaning and maintenance. Using 303 protectant,
and care in cleaning what is really a "plastic film", can give you
many years of good performance. Here is a photo of an 08 DP
with 55,000 miles. 303 Aerospace protectant every 4-5 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	56964  
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/flee...ne-193056.html
taminator is offline   Reply With Quote