Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diamond shield Removal. OUCH!!!

I got a call back today from Diamondshield with a quote to have their mobile technician remove the failed Diamondshield mask on the front of my 10 yr old Newmar. $1200 to remove this crap! Ouch! If I want to reinstall new stuff they will remove and install for $2200. But of course, the new stuff has a lifetime guarantee. Right. That's supposed to take the sting out right? I'll have to find someone locally or do it myself. And ain't no way any of that crap is going back on.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
From another forum. Bruce Deaton, Red Bay, AL. 256-356-5695. A gentleman, excellent paint shop.

I am in Red Bay and had Bruce Deaton remove old diamond shield on our 2010 Bus. Long story short it took them 30 mins to remove it all after letting it sit pointed to the sun at 7:15 am for about 30 mins so the surface was really hot. My opinion, they have done this numerous times before and know how to do it without removing paint. They remove it just like diamond shield says, it needs to be hot and pull it at 15 degree angle. Air temp was around 85-90.

No paint damage. And no glue residue, it came off with the diamond shield.

After removing old diamond shield, the Original paint looks so good I decided to have diamond shield install their latest nano product while I am in Red Bay. I looked at all the new motorhomes that have it and decided to try diamond shield again.

Cost to remove $200, but only because it wasn't a problem removing it. Every motorhome will be different. Bruce gave me an estimate of $400 over the phone without knowing what it looked like.

I think replacing diamond shield is like replacing tires, sooner is better. If you want diamond shield on your motorhome just amortize the cost.

Diamond shield said they will install new nano diamond shield for $900 while I am here in Red Bay. Too bad Bruce doesn't install diamond shield, I have to use the diamond shield authorized team of 2 people.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent! Thank you for that information. I'm only a couple of hours from Red Bay so that's a very easy day run. I'll give Bruce a call and see if he can help me out. If I can get the stuff off, it would improve the looks of my coach 100%.
jt
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have read a lot of stories about the diamond shield failing or cracking and yellowing. Frankly, it worries me. I don't want my new coach looking like an old beater in a few years. What scares me more is what that big front end would look like if the diamond shield wasn't there. I would think that after only a few thousand miles I would have a lot of chips and other damage that would need to be remedied by repainting. I think your right that you should just consider it a cost of maintainence. In my opinion, the diamond shield lasting 5 years is an incredible feat considering the abuse it takes.
The one thing I wish I could figure out is how to get rid of some of the bug marks on the diamond shield. Some of them have left permanent stains or fogging on the shield. I have tried everything and I apply the diamond shield protectant supplied with my coach at purchase on a regular basis. If anyone has a way to remove the stains from bugs, please share it.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

For the price of Diamond Shield, and replacement of it every 5-7 years, you can re-paint the front end on a similar schedule. And paint alone always looks better.

I have touch up paint for mine and hit the inevitable stone chips with a dab of paint once a year. Nobody even notices the touch-ups from a few feet away. Then when they do eventually become noticeable, I get it repainted. We use our coach a lot and are getting 5 years between paint jobs. We have a 4-color paint job on the front, so our painting is fairly expensive but still no more than Diamond Shield.

Your mileage may vary.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
For the price of Diamond Shield, and replacement of it every 5-7 years, you can re-paint the front end on a similar schedule. And paint alone always looks better.

I have touch up paint for mine and hit the inevitable stone chips with a dab of paint once a year. Nobody even notices the touch-ups from a few feet away. Then when they do eventually become noticeable, I get it repainted. We use our coach a lot and are getting 5 years between paint jobs. We have a 4-color paint job on the front, so our painting is fairly expensive but still no more than Diamond Shield.

Your mileage may vary.
I recently had my Diamond Shield replaced because of damage to the front end. Being an insurance job, they put it back to original. Or close to.
However, the paint job was less than stellar with a few little pits in it. Then, the Diamond Shield Installation Expert comes along and installs over the pits and in the process of the install, leaves a lot of exposed edges in the new DS.
If it had to do it again, I would forget the DS and just have the front end repainted as Gary says.
The Diamond Shield just complicates things. Now I have to argue with two shops and put up with the finger pointing whereas if it were just a paint issue, I could deal with the painter and get it done.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1440542540.562357.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	104643just removed my diamond shield myself. Many many hours but it looks great. Plastic razors and lots of patience!
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Attachment 104643just removed my diamond shield myself. Many many hours but it looks great. Plastic razors and lots of patience!
That really does look great!
jt
Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I removed the 3-M mask myself, I think it took ~40hrs. It had so many cracks in it came off a little at a time. I used a steamer that helped me scrap it off. Getting the glue off was about as hard.

I did this 3 years ago and I did not have one put back on and will not in the future. If needed I'll repaint the front end myself it get really bad but for now
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Attachment 104643just removed my diamond shield myself. Many many hours but it looks great. Plastic razors and lots of patience!
What do you mean by plastic razor? Mine (2005 Coach) is yellowed
Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
What do you mean by plastic razor? Mine (2005 Coach) is yellowed

http://www.plasticblades.com/products.php?cat=9

Mine took a complete 100 pack.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

2014 Phaeton, NO diamond junk installed, New fitted Bra installed $500. In years to come I will never have to pay anyone to remove the junk or pay to have the junk re installed.
And best of all, the front will look like the day I purchased it.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #13

Thanks it. Very hard, but results were worth it. Gonna get a new Dutch Star name to replace the one that came off, then no more Diamond Shield!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #14

What Steve said. Got mine at Ace Hardware. Pretty inexpensive, but small and hard on the hands. Be sure and wear gloves. By the end of first session, I had a few blisters.

Tags
removal