Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
If he low balled the value of the trade in the first place (which he might do, sight-unseen) and he wants you back as a customer, it would be wise to offer more after inspection if possible...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #16

If I offer you more for your trade when you come in, that is the best way to pay me what I ask you for the unit that I'm selling you and not try to haggle me down, after all I was nice to disarm you by saying your unit is worth more. Great strategy!!!
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You are kidding, right?
Figured I was just spitting in the wind (that's not the way the saying goes is it) but most of us needed a good laugh after all this cabin fever closed in bad weather anyway.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we bought the Magna (see sig lines) they either gave us $20,000 more than low blue book on our 2002 Dutch Star or reduced the Magna's price by $20,000 WITHOUT my even asking! The advertised price was already $50,000 UNDER retail blue book to begin with.
I don't care about the price/trade in, all I need is the difference I'm paying!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
This kind of applies to this thread. After making a very good deal on our MH, trading in our 5er, I delivered the 5 er to dealer lot, now I knew they had messed up agreeing to the deal I insisted on, I knew the sales manager knew he messed up, not because he told me, but I know lots of salesmen, finance men and sales managers and how they are trained.

There are two sales managers at this dealer and both were there when I delivered the 5er. While I was disconnecting the two sales mgrs was walking thru 5er, and not knowing I had walked up near door where I could hear them, the one that had signed off on my deal told the other, "This makes me feel better, maybe we can break even now" . I had to fight back a fist pump! Later inside the mgr I had delt with made a comment that I had come in loaded for bear when I was shopping. I just acted dumb, may need to trade there again. Back at dealer few months later and sales mgr no longer there!

These guys go to school to perfect their sales, a smart buyer will do their homework and not fall for there number swapping games. Don't sign if you don't understand what your signing.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

OK, not on an RV but it happened to me on a truck to SUV trade back when we pulled a TT.

I wasn't happy with a deal from my home-town dealer. It's a long story, but the salesman actually quit right after I left the dealership. I told them what I would sign for that day and the salesman must have thought it should have been accepted.

I had actually found the vehicle we wanted 3 hours away. I took my trade to the local dealer and said make me a deal if you can get this Yukon in Columbus. After much back and forth, I walked out, so did the salesman right after me. He was mad at the sales manager.

I called the dealer in Columbus, OH and asked for a cash/no trade price. He gave me a number that was instantly better than the local deal. I told him I had to sell my truck then I'd come to Columbus. He asked me what I had, and I described it accurately. He said if it is as described, they would give me XXX (forget exact numbers), come on up.

Packed the wife and little girl in the truck and drove the three hours. They took it for a spin and actually made me a better offer. That deal was about $1,000 better than the phone offer which I thought was pretty good already.

I didn't even counter, just said where do I sign? The hardest part of that trip was the crazy break-in period. That was a long trip home for sure.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #21

Every trade we take in is based on what it is worth when it arrives. If you call you will get a quote based on avg book value until you show up with it.
So a lot depends on how well you describe your unit. Unless your paying full list no one is going to show you full value of your trade without seeing it. You would be amazed at what people think their old trade is worth. We had a guy expecting us to give him 3 grand for his 250 dollar deer camp trailer.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I understand the comparison of "3 grand for a $250.00 deer trailer". However, in my post I'm relating to two experiences with over five large national dealers. Never ever when I "showed up" with our above average trade was the rig inspected and the trade price adjusted! Your dealership is certainly in a very small if not the only dealer that employs that procedure. Plus the norm is using the NADA wholesale for a starting point on trades. Again my experience, two dealers offered wholesale value only, one $20,000 under, yes under wholesale! While one dealer had a left over 2014 and offered $10,000.00 ABOVE wholsale. In all instances the same unit, my 2012 trade, was selling nationally at a MINIMUM of $37,000,00 above wholsale NADA value. That's my point when saying " the entire RV industry is a sham!" IMO, dealers while negotiating a newer high model Class A trade RARELY will make a deal offering the buyer FAIR MARKET VALUE! I've yet to see or hear of this factually.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #23

I understand being upset with Dealers offering wholesale value for our trade....but if "enough" large national Dealers are using this formula .....Maybe this is Fair Market Value?

Regardless, isn't trading all about the price difference, the tax savings & the convenience. If we think Dealers are tough on trades, wait till you starting talking consignment!

At the end of the day no one forces us to trade or consign ... If we are confident that our trade is exceptional there is always RV Trader, Craig's List & other Internet classifieds.... where we can prove them wrong.

You may need to test the "4 sale by owner" route. However, selling a big $$$ used MH privately without the ability to ...(1) accept trades, (2) offer financing, (3) warranty against defects, (4) advertise in order to drive traffic to your door, (5) assume the insurance risk of strangers test driving your MH, (6) weed out tire kickers, fraudsters, con artists and weirdos.....yikes....we tried that route and when we decided to consign we were a whole lot less critical of the Dealer & his "earned" $$ margin.

In our limited experience Buying is way more fun than Selling!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Every trade we take in is based on what it is worth when it arrives. If you call you will get a quote based on avg book value until you show up with it.
So a lot depends on how well you describe your unit. Unless your paying full list no one is going to show you full value of your trade without seeing it. You would be amazed at what people think their old trade is worth. We had a guy expecting us to give him 3 grand for his 250 dollar deer camp trailer.

Our dealership works the same way. Unlike a car dealership, people don't pull/drive their rigs from place to place when looking. We have a form that has you rate the condition of your trade, mileage, smoking, pets, etc.

On second thought, a person did bring their trailer in recently trying to work a deal. Only problem is he hit a 400K Coach in our lot making a turn.

As for our dealership, believe it or not we do lose money occassionally on deals. Obviously it doesn't happen often.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #25

when we traded in the gasser for the DP, they gave us $10k more than we paid for it!!! I felt good about that. I never saw it in their adds after that so I think they had buyers in mind already for it.Good for us!!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I understand being upset with Dealers offering wholesale value for our trade....but if "enough" large national Dealers are using this formula .....Maybe this is Fair Market Value?

Regardless, isn't trading all about the price difference, the tax savings & the convenience. If we think Dealers are tough on trades, wait till you starting talking consignment!

At the end of the day no one forces us to trade or consign ... If we are confident that our trade is exceptional there is always RV Trader, Craig's List & other Internet classifieds.... where we can prove them wrong.

You may need to test the "4 sale by owner" route. However, selling a big $$$ used MH privately without the ability to ...(1) accept trades, (2) offer financing, (3) warranty against defects, (4) advertise in order to drive traffic to your door, (5) assume the insurance risk of strangers test driving your MH, (6) weed out tire kickers, fraudsters, con artists and weirdos.....yikes....we tried that route and when we decided to consign we were a whole lot less critical of the Dealer & his "earned" $$ margin.

In our limited experience Buying is way more fun than Selling!
Your spot on regarding the "4 sale by owner" route. 1. We can't accept trades unless it's an up, 2. The dealer does not offer financing it's simply arranged with a lender, anyone can get pre approval. If they don't qualify you've eliminated a large portion of the tire kickers! 4. Advertising is available thru the media you've mentioned and locally as well. The Internet generates a majority of sales for the dealers as well. 5. Is a very valuable point. An additional binder would be required or in most cases the owner will be aboard and certainly one has to use caution that's the same risk the dealer assumes! 6. That's part of the price one pays for getting " fair market value" and not giving someone your hard earned equity. If one does a bit of research it's easy to find " TRUE" market value by comparing like sold models. Again the Internet is your friend. I agree it's a hassle but I was in the marine industry for twenty years and versed in sales. Consignment is probably the best route and I certainly understand the value a dealer EARNS with handling this transaction. However, a quick search reveals the margins dealers are making on trades. Just take a glance at the NADA wholsale vs. the trade priced on the dealers lot! Minimum of 5 percent to 25 percent. With the larger sum being the above average.
The point I was trying to make is why! Why do dealers not professionally evaluate your trade? Ie. A visual survey coupled with normal fluid test that the buyer uses to evaluate the pre purchase transaction on a used unit?? This certainly would be FAIR MARKET VALUE not just book value?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #27

Did dealer increase trade-in value after viewing RV

I called Palm rv and Marine in Ft Myers about a rv they had on consignment. He asked if I was trading in anything. I told him I had a 2005 Georgie Boy Landau. He told me what he would give me based on what I had told him.when we got down there and he looked at the condition plus all my maintenance records he raised my trade in value. I talked to the owner a few weeks later
He told me what he was asking
For it, I was surprised since it was nine years old. The same day we traded it a couple saw it and they bought it on the spot. They told him that the condition of the rv plus all the maintenance records made the difference.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The dealer we bought our coach from was an exception. Initially the numbers they gave us for our truck/5-r trade were sight unseen. When we brought them in & the sales manager found out they were a no kids/no smoking/no pets units & used only 2 years during May-Oct months, they upped their offers. We even got more for the truck than we paid for it when we bought it used.

Granted we didn't get the 25-30% discount off the new coach MSRP I've read on iRV2 many members say they get (I think it was closer to 20%), but all I cared about was what was my final out of pocket cost ....& they met that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer