Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

Did dealer increase trade-in value after viewing RV

Most dealers seem ready to give a sight-unseen trade-in valve during the up-coming sale proposal. But have any of you had the dealer state after actually viewing your trade-in " golly your RV is much nicer than I imagined so I can allow you more trade-in value than originally stated"?

Like on Pawn Stars, I can't imagine that happening since they are in business to make lots of dollars, but Rick does every once in a while tell a customer selling an item that it's worth more than the customer is asking.
So maybe there are some truly honest RV dealers out there someplace.
Just wondering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
You are kidding, right?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Yeah Right

My definition of a RV dealer, Used car shysters peddling big stuff. Granted there are some honest salesman but not the whole dealership. They are shrewd and out to make a buck or 3!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

Does this count? When we traded in our 1st 5th wheel for the second one (much Bigger & New) they offered us one price and when i brought it in to to the deal, I Got them to raise the trade in value another grand. This was back in 04 as well!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Believe me, Rick on Pawn Stars only offers more than the customer is asking because it's being recorded and it leaves him open to legal action. Off camera, he's not doing that.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

thats like the gimmick of buying a new RV and give you a complimentary "free" tank of gas with a wash and wax thrown in. Its a business... they are in it to take money from your pocket...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dealer could do that if it made you feel better, would not be any different than coming down on the price of the new one. Either of the two ways would be a wash. Dealers will normally do something like this if it makes you buy.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never, repeat Never, has a dealer entered a coach I've had for trade and evaluated the overall condition. They open the book, check the wholsale value, and either go a bit higher or much lower than the NADA list. It depends on how much they want to move the coach off their lot. This practice absolutely p..... me off! I'll either sell on my own or place on a consignment lot with a set reserve. The whole RV industry is a sham IMO.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Believe me, Rick on Pawn Stars only offers more than the customer is asking because it's being recorded and it leaves him open to legal action. Off camera, he's not doing that.
???? What legal action? If he offers to buy at $0.01 on the dollar and the seller accepts the offer, how would that open him to legal action? That's absurd. If anything, he's better protected by having the transaction recorded.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
The whole RV industry is a sham IMO.
absolutely!!! they are a bunch of wolves...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

I try to avoid purchasing any vehicle from a dealer unless I'm looking for something very specific and that's the only option.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe the dealer had a conscience? Temporary at best.
Sorry but..."The Dealer Holds All The Cards" (pun intended) and they will (in most cases) win and in many cases, win big. They steel a unit on trade and jack the price so they can put on the show that they are "giving" in on the your deal. I love the ole line (not really, I despise it)...."I'm not making anything on this now and that's as low as I can go". When in reality, they always factor that move in, so they can make you feel like you're beating them up.
I know they have to keep the doors open and the lights on, but I don't like that we go in blind and they have all the info/cards/house rules...IMHO
I suppose as long as you walk away feeling as though you made your best deal and are happy....let it go...something I struggle with.
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As Wizard and Clayobx mention,

If it makes you feel better, and depending on how much they need to move their inventory they will up the trade-in price.

Keep in mind that it's all "smoke and mirrors" anyway. Sure, they will raise your trade in value, but they will just charge you that much more for the new coach that you have your eye on.

The RV industry operates on anywhere from .8 to 5.0 markup, (depending on the manufacturer and model, from the time the product is built, until it's sold at retail by a dealership).

In VERY simplified terms.... at wholesale, an F53 chassis is sold by Ford for as little as $17,000, then add $30,000 in materials and nearly minimum-wage non-union labor for assembly, and you ultimately have a coach that has an MSRP of $290,000.

That leaves a lot of wiggle room in the transaction. That's why you will commonly see old inventory discounted up to 65%, or your trade-in value increased. It's all free market capitalism. You gotta love it!

My industry builds commercial and military aircraft. RV's are a much smaller scale, (and without wings), version! But, out markup is about the same, if not better.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
There are exceptions, but for the most part changing the value of your trade (in either direction) is part of the routine to close the entire deal. The dealer will do what the sense is necessary.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer