Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Coming home from Myrtle Beach this past Monday I pulled off in Columbia at a Flying J to fuel up. Made my turn at the head of the ramp and as I got ready to turn in, I had an inside duel on the rear blow. Thank goodness I was not running but about 10 mph when it went down.
Called Good Sam EMS and they had a guy there with a new tire in about an hour. GS paid for the road service. I had to pay for the tire and mounting it on the wheel. The guy was fast and courteous, but charged me $461 for the 22.5 XRV Michelin. No way I could negotiate or shop around so I had to pay it.
Spent the rest of Monday phoning tire companies trying to locate 5 more XRVs. Two and a half hours later and many phone calls I located 7 of the XRVs at Atlanta Commercial Tire in Forest Park, just south of the Atlanta airport. I bought five of them and picked them up Tuesday morning. Did not want to chance another blowout in the Atlanta traffic.
Now I paid $300 each for the other five tires and had a local tire shop (near my home) mount them for $150. I figured the tires and mounting were about the right price.
However... I believe I got ripped on the road service guy's tire - about $150 more than what it was worth.

By the way, I talked to the Micheline factory in Greenville/Spartanburg and they told me the XRV are "on back order" and there might be a shortage of them for a couple of weeks. Yep, figured that out after about the 10th phone call to dealers.
I now have one of the tires I took off in a storage bay - unmounted, but available for use.

did I get ripped?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Coming home from Myrtle Beach this past Monday I pulled off in Columbia at a Flying J to fuel up. Made my turn at the head of the ramp and as I got ready to turn in, I had an inside duel on the rear blow. Thank goodness I was not running but about 10 mph when it went down.
Called Good Sam EMS and they had a guy there with a new tire in about an hour. GS paid for the road service. I had to pay for the tire and mounting it on the wheel. The guy was fast and courteous, but charged me $461 for the 22.5 XRV Michelin. No way I could negotiate or shop around so I had to pay it.
Spent the rest of Monday phoning tire companies trying to locate 5 more XRVs. Two and a half hours later and many phone calls I located 7 of the XRVs at Atlanta Commercial Tire in Forest Park, just south of the Atlanta airport. I bought five of them and picked them up Tuesday morning. Did not want to chance another blowout in the Atlanta traffic.
Now I paid $300 each for the other five tires and had a local tire shop (near my home) mount them for $150. I figured the tires and mounting were about the right price.
However... I believe I got ripped on the road service guy's tire - about $150 more than what it was worth.

By the way, I talked to the Micheline factory in Greenville/Spartanburg and they told me the XRV are "on back order" and there might be a shortage of them for a couple of weeks. Yep, figured that out after about the 10th phone call to dealers.
I now have one of the tires I took off in a storage bay - unmounted, but available for use.

did I get ripped?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #3

doc, my call would be not really. First the difference is actually $131 ($461 minus $300 plus 1/5 of the $150 mounting fee) what would your price in Atlanta have been if you bought only 1 tire vs. the 5 that you did buy? You went to the dealer in Atlanta to buy them and then took your coach to another dealer to mount them vs. one stop road service where he brought you the tire and mounted it with portable equipment vs. your installer using in house eqipment which is typically heavier duty than what you find on a road service truck. Oh and the road service guy was there in an hour-how long did you spend at the Atlanta selling operation and again at your local installing operation. doc, all of these questions are purely rhetorical and just meant to point out that we get what we pay for. I think for an upcharge of $131 you got a fair amount of value; but, then again it was not my wallet involved. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Sounds like you got burned. It is a shame that there are so many people in the world just waiting to take advantage of a situation. Glad you and your rig are OK.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming your ERS paid the company for all the costs associated with the road service, I see no reason why the tire should cost any more than if you walked into the guy's store and bought a tire. However, at the time, not sure what else you could do.

We carry an unmounted spare for this very reason....don't want to get ripped off if at all possible.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #6

doc, I forgot, you did say it was an inside rear dually. Thus, the road service guy had to remove and put back on 2 wheels to cahnge 1 tire. When you went to your installer he only had to remove and put back on 1 wheel on that side and when he was removing and putting back on 2 wheels on the other side of the coach he was replacing 2 tires. I am not sure but I think it is more difficult to work with a blown tire than it is working on installing upgrded tires. Whether you got ripped is really only a question that you can answer given all of the facts involved, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Pretty rational way of looking at the situation.
I guess the ERS guy probably had to pay the same thng I did so he had to make a few bucks as well. I probably did get a better price buying 5 rather than just one.

We figured this might be a warning to replace the tires on the coach (they were on there when we bought it brand new in 2000) before we head to South Dakota next week. Sometimes we just need to learn how to listen when THE BIG MAN is trying to tell us something. You know, $131 might be insignificant compared to sitting a few days in some tire company parking lot waiting for one of these rare birds to be shipped in.
Thanks for the insight.

doc and Ms. Carol
Old 05-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Doc. I was going to sign up with Good sam this week and after reading your story I am very comfortable in my choice. Considering the fact that you did not have a spare tire, I think you received prompt service. I would expect to pay a little more for a tire as in the case of a breakdown you dont have much time to shop around. Dont mind paying a little extra if the service is good.

Steve
Old 05-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doc:
Now I paid $300 each for the other five tires and had a local tire shop (near my home) mount them for $150. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I paid $366.66 per tire installed. I thought that was a very good price. Plus the wife got a $50 Gift Certificate.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #10

Doc, Being a card carrying pessimist I expect to get burned a little when I am miles away from home and between a rock and hard place.

I think you have the right attitude. It could have been much worse.

Happy camping!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #11

Strange story for I to had a 235-80R-22.5 Xrv replaced on inside drivers side for $460.00 after 2-1/2 hours in Mississippi.I gave the men $10.00 tip for the great service and I also thank Good Sam. My tire went bang at 50MPH not a big deal just a pain in the but.Rip off to some great to get on the road again to Me.You got a good deal in My book.Bushman
Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #12

I think you did okay.Its easy to shop for deals when there is no pressure.I would have paid more ,just to get me out of a pickle. Tire prices can be regional,and supply and demand. As far as GS road service,I had them for 5 years and got bailed out a few times,very happy.I have Coachnet now because it was free on the new MH and I stuck with them.They are about the same.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 AM   #13

I would say $400 was not to bad. I paid that about 6 years ago at a Goodyear Tire store in KY and I had to wait 3 day's for the tire to come in.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #14

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
My wife always says if you want to play , you got to Pay
man that is so true. At least you weren't stranded on the side of the road till they get you another tire.
Some m/h have specail sizes and not all truck shops carry them sizes , it has to shipped in overnite by FEDEX OHH!!!!!! That cost a pretty penny.
That is why I now carried my brand new tire and wheel all mounted on my motorcoach underneath the chassis raised and lower by custom made cable system.
2006 THOR HURRICANE