Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #71

In the original posting, the OP cleaned the rubber roof and applied a rubber roof sealer. Was this just a step the OP needed done? I've cleaned my RVs roof with the cleaner about 2 weeks ago. I did not use the rubber roof guard/sealant. When I read the instructions it said to use the sealant every 3-4 weeks. That seemed crazy to me. How often do you need to use it and what does it really do? Thanks.

By the way, I just bought everything today to give my RV a nice polish/shine. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!

Also, in regard to the steps outlined earlier, for the Bar Keepers Friend, do you just pour it on a damp sponge or is there something else?

For the TSP in water, can you use a scrub brush and bucket for this stage?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaker5644 View Post
Is there any good reason why I shouldn't do my bay doors first and then do the gel coat sides when I have more time?
After you do the prep. The first coat took me about 2 hours. I can't explain why other than it takes longer. Subsequent coats take about an hour, and are dry enough to continue after you get around to the start point. I did mine over 3 days. Looks great!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #73

WOW looks great. Why floor wax and not auto wax?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaroni View Post
WOW looks great. Why floor wax and not auto wax?
Because what is being applied is not really a floor wax. It is a clear acrylic coating. Think of it as a glossy clear coat that is easy to apply.

... well easier than spraying on a clear coat!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
I used scrub brush - wet - and put bar keeper on it to scrub with. Also - didn't use gloves when applying ZEP. It doesn't come off your hands very well. And I have the nicest looking finger nails.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #76

How long will this 'cleaning/waxing' last? Do you do this once a year? Sounds like you should wear gloves. Can you apply the JEP by spraying on and wiping with a clean cotton rag? Is a sponge better to wipe JEP after spraying? Thank you for your reply.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #77

I used one of those paint cups that has the disposable liners. I used latex gloves and a microfiber rag. Wash the microfiber rag first to remove any color and just dip it in the ZEP and wring it out. The ZEP is water soluable so it cleans up pretty easy, but the cup liners and gloves you can just pitch. Wash the rag in warm water and it will be ready for the next day's coating. I did 5 coats on mine (37 ft.) using a little more than 1/2 gallon of ZEP. After a trip on snowy salt covered roads and then rain, it cleaned up very easily with just soap and water! Still looks great.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaroni View Post
How long will this 'cleaning/waxing' last? Do you do this once a year? Sounds like you should wear gloves. Can you apply the JEP by spraying on and wiping with a clean cotton rag? Is a sponge better to wipe JEP after spraying? Thank you for your reply.
<How long will this 'cleaning/waxing' last?>
Depends on the environment and sun exposure (north, south, stored indoors or out, etc.), but you can expect it to last 6 months to a year. The top of my end caps don't seem to last as long as the sides due to sun exposure.

<Do you do this once a year?>
I would apply 1 or 2 maintenance coats at least once a year. If you let it go too long (to the point that it starts to peel), then you have to remove/strip all of the acrylic coating off and re-apply. It is a pain. First hand experience talking!

<Sounds like you should wear gloves.>
Gloves are somewhat optional depending on the application method. When the acrylic solution dries it's like a plastic clear coat. This washes off your skin with some scrubbing, but it will make your fingernails shiny for a while.

If you are using the "dip and wring-out" method, you'll most likely want gloves.
If you're using the "wet applicator" method (my preference), you can probably get away without gloves but I wear nitrile gloves anyway.

<Can you apply the JEP by spraying on and wiping with a clean cotton rag?>
Yes you can spray it on, but don't use any old rag to spread it. I would recommend either a clean micro-fiber towel, or and artificial shammy folded several times to create a flat side. I feel the shammy provides the smoothest application, but many have used micro-fiber towels.

<Is a sponge better to wipe JEP after spraying?>
I haven't tried using a sponge but I would think it would be to porous causing streaks in the finish.
Again... other have used micro-fiber towels (folded tightly).
I personally use applicators from Vertglas. Vertglas is just another supplier of an acrylic coating system. Same stuff as ZEP/RedMaxxPro3, only much more expensive. I like their applicators.
You can find them here. (Scroll down near the bottom of the page.)
Vertglas Fiberglass Gel Coat Restoration System - Restores Gelcoat Oxidation for Boats, RVs - MarineStore.com
See attachment for example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VertglasApplicators.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	39358  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After doing my 05 Fleetwood Fiesta today, my wife said it looks new again! Only used a 1/3 of a gal. Next time I'll apply it more thinly to reduce some drips and use even less. Lots better and faster than paste!!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #80

I know with the using this on flooring they use Buffers on it to get a real good shine on the floor. Has anyone used a buffer on there RV after applying it to get a better shine or are you only hand buffing it? I was thinking about doing a FBP on our 96 Itasca but after reading this I may do this.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #81

Haven't used a buffer and you really don't even hand "buff" it. You just wipe it on and after about five thin coats you're done. They get easier to apply as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #82

tried buffing it. Buffing does not improve shine. Not needed
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #83

Country Coach Owners Club
My rig has/had clearcoat over gelcoat on the white areas. I removed all the old clear coat on the rear cap and applied the Zep Wet Look to the white parts of the cap which were now gelcoat only. The rest of the coach white is still Clear Coated.

The Zep Wet Look is not quite as reflective as the Clear Coat, but is much easier for an amateur like me to apply.

It took me about an hour to do the rear cap white with 5 coats, no runs, and exclusive of prep time. I could have done the entire rear cap in the same amount of time because of time wasted waiting an appropriate period for drying of the previous coat and working around the clear coated dark color.

Here is a compare/contrast of the Zep in a test patch on the unpolished gel coat lower white panel left.

(Note: Weird color effects from Camera. That bumper is really a dark teal green color like the stripes above. Not blue.)

Here are my application tools.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #84

National RV Owners Club
How many coats of ZEP is recommended? I did 4 coats yesterday before dark caught up to me, should I do more?

lbaker5644 is offline   Reply With Quote