Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXRamblers View Post
They came off the wall pretty easy (two screws) and I clipped the wires ( be sure to turn off the power). Then I disassembled the lights and used a sanding sponge I got from the hardware store. The gold is barely on there so it doesn't take much. Just need to remove enough to rough up the surface. Then we used a nice metallic bronze spray paint. A few thin coats and make sure to get all the edges and pieces. After it's dry just reassemble and use a good wire crimp to reattach the wiring.

Don't think I have a pic of the "during" but here's one of the paint and the "before".

Attachment 116161
Attachment 116160
Same paint I used, except mine was satin nickel. I was impressed with how it went on, dry time and surface finish once dry. Also had a nice fan spray.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #16

Our coiach had some nice mods already done. Instead of the wrap around valance the previous owner had oak valance installed ( they just at at the top,) they are deep enough that they also were able to install hardware for round curtain rods up in there. They kept yhge blinds but added very nice undulated drapes. Also the fabric trim around the slide was removed and oakbtrim installed. We are hoping to replace the carpet this summer.
Like the idea of painting the light fixtures
Hadn't thought of doing that to the shower and wondering how it would hold up?
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #17

I think it depends on the year of the unit and how long you plan on keeping it. Major modifications could and probably will negatively impact the resale value especially if they are radical. We have had multiple MH's and typically keep them as original and new looking as possible and always made out extremely well when selling or trading. We would never purchase a unit if we couldn't live with decor.

I am not saying its wrong...but it's not how we roll.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Like many who have already responded, we did a 90% re-do on the inside -- everything except the cabinet stain color, the ceramic tile in the kitchen, the ceiling, and the flex-steel sofa (we actually like ours) is new. The inside of the coach was about seven shades of beige when we bought it -- and a couple pet stains on the carpet, to boot. There were way too many mirrors for my liking. And the ugly gold accents all had to go. All of that has been ripped-out and replaced now, and we proudly call the finished, updated stylings, OUR home!

IDEA1: It is not just about fabric upholstery, new carpet, and paint colors. Since we FT, we needed "office space." In our remodel we added a small cabinet for hanging file folders and a small desk. But that is just what WE wanted. I encourage you to personalize yours to meet YOUR needs; make it so it works for you. Think furniture changes, as well. In the process everything will get cleaned, as well.

IDEA2: We changed many of the light fixtures by installing off-the-shelf, modern versions from HomeDepot. And then we bought screw-in 12-volt bulbs with standard A19 bases so they would work on the 12 volt circuits. A less expensive option and there are lots of fixtures to choose from at your favorite big-box store. Used LEDs everywhere else, like everyone else, of course.

IDEA3: There are a lot more great options for sheet glass out there today than there used to be. Some transparent and patterned, some plain but frosted, etc. Go to a custom kitchen shop and pick out some fancy custom glass pieces for the cabinet door inserts -- really freshens up the look for not a lot of bux! Make sure you get them tempered, of course!

Have fun making it YOURS!!!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #19

I think all of those nasty prints were on clearance sale at wallyworld. Update everything and make it your own!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
The new MH is "basil leaf" yes. Green and beige... yawn...Who the heck thinks up these color schemes? I think the "designers" sit around and throw darts at green, blue and beige swatches. and Ta-da! color scheme.
They're chosen to be neutral and as unobjectionable to the masses as possible. If you visit a show unit in a new condo development you'll see the same idea at work. It's to make you think "that's nice" without much thought about it. However once you move into one of these bland spaces you quickly begin to realize there is no personality behind it. Add to that the typical RV furniture and the bowling alley layout of that furniture and you have a lot of room for improvement.

The older the RV, the easier it is to choose to change things.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Our unit has a lot of mirrors. Surprising since I tend to think of that as so 70's! (I get it though makes a space "bigger") We have a "bar" area that is backed by a mirror. I'm really motivated to pull off that mirror and replace with tile sheets. We do have one huge floor to ceiling mirror. I'll probably have to wait to pull that off and convince DH. Our MH is configured with an "office" rather than two sofas facing each other. We have literally no extra wall space for anything! That's why I'd love to take out the giant mirror. I'd like to have some personal stuff on the walls.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Our unit has a lot of mirrors. Surprising since I tend to think of that as so 70's! (I get it though makes a space "bigger") We have a "bar" area that is backed by a mirror. I'm really motivated to pull off that mirror and replace with tile sheets. We do have one huge floor to ceiling mirror. I'll probably have to wait to pull that off and convince DH. Our MH is configured with an "office" rather than two sofas facing each other. We have literally no extra wall space for anything! That's why I'd love to take out the giant mirror. I'd like to have some personal stuff on the walls.
Here's our kitchen area before with mirrors and after with the tile. Bah.. these pics keep reminding me I still have things to do (i.e. replace the kitchen faucet).
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452525991793.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	116216Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452526027788.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	116217Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452526052532.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	116218
GenXRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXRamblers View Post
Here's our kitchen area before with mirrors and after with the tile. Bah.. these pics keep reminding me I still have things to do (i.e. replace the kitchen faucet).
Attachment 116216Attachment 116217Attachment 116218
I really like the way that looks without the mirror! Even more motivation for me!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #24

I have done the same thing. Replaced that silly looking table and that bed fold out couch. Since I'm solo now I don't need those fold out couches. Wish I could figure out what to do with that drop down bed over the driver and passenger seats. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of those (paintings, pictures on the wall and replace them). I cant find any screws that hold them in place and they just aren't willing to come down. Not really ready to tear the walls down or damage them. Maybe I need to call my drunk brother over for an assist? Not!!
Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some pics

I did a lot to our 2001 Marlin. Here are some of the major projects:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zzjea/sets

The only thing that was not cosmetic was the Dometic fridge which started leaking ammonia. Cost almost 3 times as much to replace as a residential fridge so that was a no brainer and the Samsung is soooo much better than the old Dometic.

Everything else was for appearance and some functionality. I did it all myself and was happy when it ended.... Looks a lot like a new rig now.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #26
UAV

Just did a pretty major overhaul of the interior...Here is the shower...Try to get more pics today...Also did the countertops, valances, carpet, some laminate flooring, microwave and dishwasher...oh, and back splash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151219_150837.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	117241
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Just did a pretty major overhaul of the interior...Here is the shower...Try to get more pics today...Also did the countertops, valances, carpet, some laminate flooring, microwave and dishwasher...oh, and back splash.

Attachment 117241
Wow. Love that shower. Did you do the tile work or was that already there?
GenXRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #28

zzjea, looks great, lots of pics, no explanations, you lifted the slide? when doing the floor? what was the Styrofoam for?