Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Did you "re-decorate"?

Just bought our first MH and love it. But with all our previous TT, I often wonder who thought up some of the interior color schemes! Has anyone out there did any re-decorating? Changing things up? Taking down the valances? wall paper? We are changing the carpet and bedspread. Another ideas that can be some quick/easy spruce-ups? Thanks.

Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I think you'll get lots of responses to your question. Many people on here have made lots of changes. There's very little in our MH we haven't changed. We started by recovering window surrounds and replacing ugly shades with lace curtains and other non-standard MH touches. Add to that replacement of all furniture, redoing the floors,etc. As for the ugly bedspread, it was gone on Day 1! IMHO too many of these RVs look as if they were decorated by my grandmother!

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did an almost total refresh of our interior. Took down all borders, repainted the walls to cover up the wierd wallpaper look, recovered all the valances, recovered the seating, repainted the god awful gold lights, put up stick on tile on the kitchen and bathroom backsplash.... many more things I can't think of now.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The previous owners of our rig did a pretty extensive remodel - new valances (which are better than the originals, but not by much), new floors, new appliances, new countertops, new tile backsplashes, etc. but we still have a ways to go. There's still some ugly wallpaper here and there, all the ugly brass light fixtures still have to be replaced and - worst of all - the mirrored headboard in the master bedroom has GOT TO GO!

All in good time

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
The previous owners of our rig did a pretty extensive remodel - new valances (which are better than the originals, but not by much), new floors, new appliances, new countertops, new tile backsplashes, etc. but we still have a ways to go. There's still some ugly wallpaper here and there, all the ugly brass light fixtures still have to be replaced and - worst of all - the mirrored headboard in the master bedroom has GOT TO GO!

All in good time
The gold we had was simply sanded and repainted. Looks like new now and much less expensive. Still a few pieces here and there need to be done. As for the mirror in the bedroom we painted some wood trim and edged it and recovered the headboard. Much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452447236731.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	116151  
Old 01-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good question and it's true that many used RVs have a dated look. When we bought our RV new it was very important to us to pick out colors that were more neutral and in our opinion would still look good a decade later and not "date" the RV simply by it's color scheme. In our opinion strong colors soon go out of style while neutral colors always look good and can be altered with changing the color of towels, rugs, pillows, and bedding.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Nope. We still like our Brass and Glass from 1995. All original except for Ultra Leather vs fabric on the couch.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #8

Actually I've been un-re-decorating. The PO put linoleum down over the hardwood flooring in the kitchen area. I removed and refinished it back to what it was. I also have recovered the dining room chairs the wife recovered, she also recovered the valences with the same yucky fabric. Thank goodness the original fabric was underneath.

I also replaced the loveseat and chair that the place I bought it from had put in and replaced the missing mirrored backsplash behind the stove top. Newmarket was fantastic about researching and getting it to me.

The chair on the right is the one I recovered, the bottom picture is from when I bought it with the stuff I'm redoing. The blue loveseat (don't know why it's sideways) is the new one. You can see original valence above it.

Kaye
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new chair cover.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	116153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	116154  

Name:	P4080029.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	116155  
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #9

I spent a year looking a used RVs befpre I bought the one I now have. The one thing that struck me about all of them is that they all looked alike, regardless of age or manufacturer. They all looked like RVs once you got inside. They had that feel to them and it's one thing I wanted to get rid of. My vision was to have more of a small apartment feel (or as they call it here in San Francisco, "spacious one bedroom").

For some reason, they all have patterns everywhere. I got rid of all of them; the florals, the tweed, the stripes, the abstract. I got rid of the Mary Tyler Moore Show color scheme of rose and turquoise, painted out all the oak and the fake oak wood grained walls. Ripped out the dinette (bulky, uncomfortable and ugly ... and do I really need another bed?). My floorplan didn't have a sofa, or I would have taken that out as well.

I got rid of all the twee little things, the spice rack, the built-in knick knack display shelf, and what apparently was a magazine rack at floor level next to the entrance steps (now holds an inverter).

The walls in the front living room/kitchen and the back bedroom areas I painted a slightly yellowish ivory color (so the yellowed plastic of the light fixtures and A/C aren't otherwise emphasized). The cabinets are painted strong accent colors and the middle of the rig has walls painted in strong, darker colors as a visual trick to make the interior feel larger by making the front and back areas feel slightly further away because of the light walls. The nice thing about paint is you can easily change it when your mood changes.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXRamblers View Post
We did an almost total refresh of our interior. Took down all borders, repainted the walls to cover up the wierd wallpaper look, recovered all the valances, recovered the seating, repainted the god awful gold lights, put up stick on tile on the kitchen and bathroom backsplash.... many more things I can't think of now.
GenX how did you repaint those awful gold lights? Do you have any pics before and after?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm nervous to undertake removal of the valances. I'm worried about the shape of the walls behind them. I'd much rather have curtains or blinds than those bulky, ugly valances. It's just tough since RV manufacturers seem to love putting fabric all over and not pretty fabric either. My first TT was a lovely mauve color. The new MH is "basil leaf" yes. Green and beige... yawn...Who the heck thinks up these color schemes? I think the "designers" sit around and throw darts at green, blue and beige swatches. and Ta-da! color scheme.
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought ours about a year ago. It was 10 yrs old and was all original. The first thing we both wanted to do was get rid of the horrible polished brass gold tone hardware. I changed out all the door and cabinet pulls and hinges with satin nickel pieces. Then replaced the faucets with satin nickel. I also removed all the gold tone light fixtures and painted them with Rustoleum satin nickel. Its a primer and paint in one and did a very nice job. I also painted the shower doors to get rid of the gold tone. What a mess spraying inside the coach! I also changed out the old analog CRT TVs with Samsung flat screen LEDs. All flourscent bulbs were changed to a brighter bulbs, and the recessed lights were replaced with LED recessed. I have plans this year to add some of the stick-on tile to the kitchen and bath walls for a backsplash. I may look at replacing floor covering as well. Would like to do a laminate or vinyl plank. Just getting rid of that awful gold tone hardware made it look 100% better.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
GenX how did you repaint those awful gold lights? Do you have any pics before and after?
They came off the wall pretty easy (two screws) and I clipped the wires ( be sure to turn off the power). Then I disassembled the lights and used a sanding sponge I got from the hardware store. The gold is barely on there so it doesn't take much. Just need to remove enough to rough up the surface. Then we used a nice metallic bronze spray paint. A few thin coats and make sure to get all the edges and pieces. After it's dry just reassemble and use a good wire crimp to reattach the wiring.

Don't think I have a pic of the "during" but here's one of the paint and the "before".

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452457862196.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	116161

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452457786157.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	116160
Old 01-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #14

So far we have:
-Removed our cloth fold out coach, and moved a J-lounge and cabinet into it's location
-Bout two Flexsteel leather recliners, matches the J-lounge couch leather, over to where the J-lounge had been. (Had been in the slide, and we wanted the chairs in that location. Thus the bump and roll of the couches.)
-Changed all brass fittings and lights over to nickel plate, converting to LED on the lights at the same time.
-DW removed the valances, and recovered them as part of the interior color scheme change over.
-DW lightly sanded all of the wallpaper, and painted in two different colors. We have a 'light grey side of the coach', and though it may sound different it does loo good - a light tan side of the coach too.
(The valances cloth really does a great of pulling the colors together.)
-DW removed the beveled mirror strips backsplash in the kitchen. And put a vinyl wallpaper backsplash.
-Throw pillows, and other wall decorations wrap things up

I give the boss, full credit for this transformation! Only thing left is to get the front carpeting out, and replaced with whatever she says she wants!!!

I've always maintained that buying a good quality used coach that is within your budget. Then modifying it to your specific wants. (I got some great cabinet work mod's done too. Removing the head bumper TV, adding upgraded electronic components. A pair of 14" ceiling mounted HiFi speakers. Samsung residential fridge, etc., etc.)

Make your coach what you like!!!

Best to all,
Smitty