Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #1

We are in the market for a 06 or 07 MH with a 330 hp diesel. The 07 cost more, so I know this is a factor, but has anyone had any experiece in comparing the two since the new diesel requirements went into effect this year? Are there any new concerns I sould be aware of before I decide on which year to buy? MPG? More maintence? What should I look for between the two engines? s/Toby
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #2

We are in the market for a 06 or 07 MH with a 330 hp diesel. The 07 cost more, so I know this is a factor, but has anyone had any experiece in comparing the two since the new diesel requirements went into effect this year? Are there any new concerns I sould be aware of before I decide on which year to buy? MPG? More maintence? What should I look for between the two engines? s/Toby
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Toby, the jury will be out for some time. The '07 are just now comming on line with most mfg. Are you sure the '07 coaches you have looked at don't have '06 engines? Look at the chassis info plaque to determine the chassis mfg date, if it was produced in '06 it has the '06 engine. I have seen several discussions where people are speculating on the increased maintenance due to different oils and more filters, in addition to the initial $6-7,000 increase in engine cost.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Toby,
Consider asking the dealer if the engine is LSD fuel ready or only ULSD fuel ready. ULSD is the new diesel fuel. Once your interested in a specific coach, call the chassis manufacturer with the coach or chassis serial number to ensure you get the correct information.

As of October 1, 2006 engine manufacturers could make only the new engines that use only ULSD fuel. However, for the past several years, chassis manufacturers have been stocking up on LSD engines, keeping Cummins and Cat very busy. It is a guess when each coach manufacturer will start receiving the ULSD engines on the chassis they order.

Besides the previously mentioned additional maintainance, the only worry is for people traveling to Mexico. Mexico has no timetable for supporting the ULSD standard. The trips I took, in the USA, in 06 and so far in 07 all I saw was the ULSD fuel (truck stops).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #5

Thanks guys.

Dont know where my head was. I should have known the 07 engines would probable not be in any 07 models but in the new 08 models. Still havnt decided on which one we want yet. Just hate to think of the payments. ( I married for love--not money like my daddy told me to do) s/Toby
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #6

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
There are several issues that will be unanswered for some time. Country Coach claims the 07 engines will have less power, less mpg and of course cost more. I emailed Cat regarding possible issues with older engines using the new fuel. Their response was they have not had any problems....yet. There may be a posssibility of seals leaking etc. but only time will tell.
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I attended the Cummins seminar here at the FMCA Convention at Perry, and Cummins said:

Cummins engines will not have lower HP and/or torque ratings. As a matter of fact, the ISL is up 25HP to 425 HP.

The exhaust is not hotter, except in the active regeneration phase, which may rarely occur depending on your driving habits.

The particulate filter is good for 150K miles or so.

Older engines may see some weeping around the lift pump or fuel pump seals, but no dripping or squirting.

The ULSD does have lubricants added at the refinery and no additional additives are needed.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As of October 1, 2006 engine manufacturers could make only the new engines that use only ULSD fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not believe that is the correct date for ULSD engines. The refiners have to be producing ULSD fuel for retail use by that date, but engine manufacturers do not have to switch over until 1/1/2007 and chassis manufacturers can use pre-2007 engines in chassis built after 1/1/2007, if they still have those engines available. Bottom line is that motorhomes with 2006 engines were still coming off the assembly lines in early 2007. I suspect that is just about finished now, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Go here to read about the June 2006 ULSD fuel date that was extended to later in 2006 at all levels of the supply chain. The bulk of the date information is on page 2.

Go here to read the entire report on this subject. It is interesting reading. I will help the reader understand the world is not coming to an end. There is a phase in period, measured in years.

Go here and choose the reports you may want to read, on this subject. Once read, one may come to have the opinion that this is a non-event.

I was not able to find a date when engine manufacturers would no longer make LSD fuel engines. The date mentioned in my earlier post was provided by Spartan management during a visit to Spartan in October 2006. At this time it is a moot point. We are in 2007. The documents provide what the law is regarding engine emissions from diesel engines.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote