Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Diesel @ -2 degrees

We are leaving for gulf coast Friday from Illinois. It's forecast to be below zero when we are scheduled to leave. The rig is in great shape, full fuel right before holidays, Aqua hot. What are some of the problems I might encounter? or should I postpone? Thanks
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Plug in the block heater the night before to make it easier on the engine.
Don't fill your water tanks until/unless you are sure they won't freeze.
Full propane tank so you can run the heat on the road.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Cummings say run the block heater at least 2 hours before starting. If go long in your temps. Once it starts and warms up. Head south as fast as you can. Man that's cold up there. I'm in FL. 😃😃😃 enjoy the trip.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

Anti gelling additive in the fuel. Power service, Howes, stanadyne, or other name brand.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

Most likely if you filled before the holidays you should have enough number 1 fuel to be OK. How empty were the tanks when you filled up? There are some additives you can put in the fuel to be sure. Ask a trucker. If your still running number 2 you will jelly up at those temps for sure.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

I would dump a half gallon Howels diesel fuel treatment in before you start the coach. If your diesel is straight # 2 it will gel at 2 below, if its treated # 2 you should be alright. If the rig is outside all the time it makes it worse. If it sets inside then not near as bad. Like he said, plug it in so it will start and go for it. If you got at least half # 1 diesel in the tank you will be good to go also.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

And plug it in the day before you start it up. Block heater won't warm it up much in two hours at -2.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's stored in a heated facility, the last fill up was 105 gals. At which time I added Power Service additive with cetane to aid in anti gel I believe. I think I'll plug it in, and run Aqua Hot engine warmer. I thought I had the bases covered, but it doesn't hurt to get additional views. We're about 5 hrs from ST. Louis, so wish us luck.. I feel better!!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would be interested on which engine you have, CAT or Cummins. CAT's don't return much fuel as a Cummins does, this helps keep the fuel warm as you drive. If you have a CAT make sure the fuel has a additive in it and you will be fine. And always remember just because it's yellow don't make it a lemon. Jim
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

Beings you will be starting with warm fuel beings it is in a heated shop, you shouldn't have any problems with your fuel. Especially since you already have a little power service in it. If its warm in the shop you really shouldn't have to plug it in. We never do on the semi trucks which I keep in a shop which never gets below 60 degrees. By warm I mean about 50 or higher. Even down to 30 most rigs will start easily. When we used to keep them all outside we would plug in any time it got below 30 just to be on the safe side, and it is easier on every thing if it is pluged in and warm. Once you are running the engine returns hot fuel and keeps the fuel warm in the tank.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #11

And the C15 Cats we run seem to keep the fuel warm. Probably just as warm as a cumapart. I don't run any of them anymore, its all Cats and Dogs (Mack's)!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it is -2, you didn't get out of there early enough. Poor planning on your part. Next year leave earlier.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
You will have zero problems. Crank it up and go
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
With Power Service in the tank you may be fine! Much of the problems with jelling come from crossover lines and fuel returns. However I once had a diesel pickup that would always start but would jel after driving for 10 minutes. It had an exposed to the wnd line that always froze when the temps were at their coldest. You will not know about that kind of problem until you actually experience it. Many of the newer diesels have line heaters or the base of the filter is heated.
I suggest that you start with a new filter and carry a spare with you. If you have any moisture in the line or the system the monster always shows up when you need to work on it during bad weather! A new filter wil go a long way towards keeping you rolling!
Most stations will sell a blend at the pumps during the cold winter months. One of the problems many of us have is the tank was filled before the temps dropped and they sold you straight #2. Having the Power Service additive will help with that as will adding some #1 to the tank. Many truck stops will have 1 pump with #1 and you can add some if you feel the need. Some truckers would fight the geling problem by adding a gallon of gas to a full tank of fuel to fight the problem. I have always been leary of doing that but it seems to help.

Tags
diesel