Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Diesel - best credit card rebate ????

What is the best way to save on diesel fuel on the road? Is there a rebate card that you use for extra saved nags? What do I need to know as e are ordering our first coach & yes it is a DP.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best I've seen is 3% on any cc.

Some travel stops take good Sams discount off cash price and still let you pay with cc. Add that with cc is probably the best you will get.

nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #3

Good Sam at flying J and pilot. Citi visa Costco card gives 4% back on all fuel up to $5000 and those are the ones I use most. Nice thing is you can save five cents a gallon with the Good Sam and still get the 4% back with the card. Downside is you have to spend your rebates at Costco.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use my Sam's Club Mastercard CC to pay for all fuel for all of our vehicles. I get 5% cash back on all fuel purchases, diesel & gas.

I also get 3% cash back on travel and dining and 1% back on everything else.

Do not confuse this with the Good Sam's card. BIG difference between Camping World Good Sam and Sam's Club Members Buying Club.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Pilot/FJ offers a charge card that allows you to activate their pumps without walking into the store, which you will have to do when using a credit card. It does not pay a rebate but it gets you their cash price less 6 cents per gallon. It must be paid in full each month, therefore is not a typical credit card.
Depending on the price per gallon, you may achieve a lower net price per gallon by using a card that pays a cash rebate. Also I have found you can save a huge amount by filling up at non-truck stop locations such as wholesale clubs and some grocery chains, but access and pump speed usually is not as good as at the TS. Last week most TS were charging $2.399 (cash price) and I filled up at Sam's club for $1.699 minus my cash rebate on a CC.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PenFed (Pentagon Federal Credit Union) cash rewards visa. 5% credit on each months statement for fuel when swiped at the pump.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
What is the best way to save on diesel fuel on the road? Is there a rebate card that you use for extra saved nags? What do I need to know as e are ordering our first coach & yes it is a DP.

The Cash Rewards card from PenFed Credit Union gives you 5% cash rebate on all fuel purchases as long as you pay at the pump!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
+3 penfed
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

All these cards are fine for minor rebates, but check out Gas Buddy. We just made a run out to Branson from the east coast and I saved about 18% by picking the less expensive stations over the common stations in the area where we fueled. As an added benefit, I got an additional 3 cents a gal discount by using a Walmart gift card at Murphy USA stations. You could add an additional 10 cents a gallon savings if you compared to the Flying J's, Loves and other major truck stop concessions. Down side---? If you are scared to drive you RV and toad into tighter stations or are really not that capable a driver of the RV/toad combo, forget saving money this way. Our rig is almost 71' and we've NEVER disconnected at a fuel stop

Since we run LOTS of miles (60,000 in 3 1/2 years) our savings is significant over what minor cashback on a CC gives. By the way, we also get a cashback on the credit cards.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yes, fully agree with the use of Gas Buddy app. We use it to ferret out the prices, check if we can get in/out, then start swiping the PenFed card.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #11

Sam's club, 5% off fuel, that's 10 cents a gallon on $2.00 fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #12

We use costco visa and avoid all the major hwy truck stops as there always .20 to .30 cents higher than other stations found on Gas Buddy.
Even with the discount Flying Js now a rip off since being taken over by pilot.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #13

Capital One Venture Card

This is the card I have used since Mar. of this year. It doesn't give cash back but gives me double miles on everything I spend. I can have my campground fees paid for by using the miles accumulated on the card. So far it has saved me over $500.00 this summer.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

For people driving around in a class A DP, your biggest worry is a couple of pennies per gallon?

Tags
diesel