Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #29

We just came through SC a few days ago on I-85 with a FJ card the fuel was $3.45. Sometimes conveinance is worth the card, we never went inside. Swiped card, fueled and left. I have bought 139 gallons of diesel with out the pump shutting off!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #30

Was at Costco today and they have a special card for business members. 4% off gas anywhere.

I signed up and got a card.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #31

If you join and use the PenFed Platinum card is that a debit or a credit card? That is do you get a monthly bill or do you have to have a certain amount of cash in your account all the time? I'm eligible as a military retiree. Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Are we are talking about different cards. This one still shows 5%, 3% & 1%. https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Rewards/
You are correct, I am apples & oranges here.

The Penfed Cash Rewards card I referenced is their cash back card which credits 5% of pay-at-the pump purchases back to you automatically on your monthly statement.

The Platinum Rewards card you referenced with the 5% pay-at-the-pump and higher % on non-fuel purchases provides rewards points which accumulate until you redeem them for products or gift cards.

Penfed introduced the Platinum Rewards points card when they cut the non-fuel purchase on the Cash Rewards card to 0.25% and encouraged those with the Cash Rewards card to switch to the points card. I prefer cash so I kept the Cash Rewards card and added the Platinum Rewards points card to use for non-fuel purchases.

I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, but if Penfed allows it, why not?

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
If you join and use the PenFed Platinum card is that a debit or a credit card? That is do you get a monthly bill or do you have to have a certain amount of cash in your account all the time? I'm eligible as a military retiree. Thanks
Both the Platinum Rewards points card and the Platinum Cash Rewards cards are credit cards. Both cards offer 5% on pay-at-the-pump fuel purchases, one in points you redeem and the other in cash credited to your monthly statement. You get a monthly statement of your charges and no cash is required in your account (other than keeping a few dollars in your credit union savings account to establish membership in Penfed).

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #34

The biggest problem with the Pen Fed card is finding a pump that you can snuggle a 40 foot DP with a toad up to. I have the most success at Loves, but most pumps that cater to 18wheelers require that you pay inside, which does not get you the 5 percent discount. In general, you have to go to the car pumps and find one with diesel.

Other than that, I use the Pen Fed where I can, and then use my Costco Amex which gets me 4percent off to finish topping off my 120 gallon tank when I limit out on the Pen Fed card at that pump.

Dick Lucas. '04 HR IMperial
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
You might look at getting a cardlock card. I use Pacific Pride and I have bought fuel at as much as .50 less than the area pump prices. I do have to pay the full bill every month, but that's ok as I just budget it that way. There stations almost anywhere across the country.
When we had a Pacific Pride card a few years ago we ALWAYS found it was more expensive than the surrounding stations. I kept a log and matched it against my PP bill each month.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Was at Costco today and they have a special card for business members. 4% off gas anywhere.

I signed up and got a card.

Yep, was going to mention this. Not sure if it is the same Stateside but if you are an Executive Club Costco Member, you can apply for an Amex and you get something like 2% of all fuel purchases even if not at Costco, you get other cash back rewards. Think they call it the True Earnings Card or something like that. If you are already a Costco member, you might just find this works for you.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #37

I agree that the Penfed Cash Rewards Visa Card is the best thing going for fuel purchases as it has no limits nor thresholds to meet as you get the 5% immediately off your monthly statement ...no waiting until you reach a certain amount to cash in. However, it's not the case with the Penfed Platinum Rewards as you do have to meet a threshold before cashing in. And has already been said, it's like getting 20-cents off a gallon immediately if the price is $4/gal.

The drawback as has been mentioned is that you do have to use it at the pump so it precludes using the truck pumps but if you can fit in the regular island at a busy gas station's diesel pump, it may be worth it even if you have to unhook the toad if you are taking in over 100 gallons, for instance. I might unhook the toad to save $20+ but some I know wouldn't think it worth the hassle. The RV island at Flying J is another alternative, however.

I believe that the Costco business card is like their normal card where you only can get your cash rebate once a year, correct? Again, with the Penfed Cash Rewards, you're getting it immediately.

And I agree with Pacific Pride being higher priced. We tried it for a year or two through Pioneer Fuel in Olympia WA and although most stations are easy to access and most of the time not extremely busy as some truck pumps are, it just didn't make sense paying the extra price ...for us, anyway.

-harry
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
I use the B of A VISA card for all fuel purchases. They have the 3-2-1 cash back program with 3% on fuel. Not sure of what the others are for..I think 2% food and 1% everything else, but I'm only using it for fuel. No annual fee and the cash is disbursed into our account (at a different bank) each month. I know it's only .12 cents/gal, but it sure adds up!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
The Pen fed card sounds pretty good except that most pay at the pumps limit you to $100 at the pump. I have found when I have to go over $300 the cards I use put a hold on it for security reasons. I have 2 cards that I use for fuel. The one I use the most is Amex Blue 6% on groceries, 3% on fuel, 3% on department stores, and 1% on everything else. Also it is the only CC accepted at Costco. The other one I just got is a Bank of America that offers 3% on fuel, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. I onnly inted to use this one when they won't accept my Amex, I like the ease of using the Amex card and you can do the pay inside thing. Another plus is that I can use my rewards points toward paying off a monthly bill, PenFed will not let you do that. At my rate of spending It works out to about 1 months worth of Amex Bill.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #40

The pen fed card saves me over 100 a month on fuel. Flying J truck pumps dont have a money limit, so if you have a Flying J rewards card, hit the truck pump, get cash price on fuel with the flying J card, then pay for it with the Pen Fed card for another 5 percent. The $100 limit isnt much of a problem since I can run the card at least twice before it gets rejected. You can usually hit the pumps at Walmart after Midnight if you have a big rig.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #41

Specifically why I bought a 34 ft coach with a full slide. I do not have to pay the high prices at the truck stop and get my discover rebate.

StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel