Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Diesel Credit Card Savings?

We plan on taking a trip this summer South Carolina to California and back then up the East coast and back home; we should burn a whole bunch of diesel. Is there a gas/credit card out there that would save us some money? Which one is the best and where do you have to use it. Any little bit helps! Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

I'd be interested in knowing also. Most cards I know of are for specific brands which you will not find coast to coast. Plus they are usually temporary, like for first 90 days etc.

If anyone knows of a card that gives around 5% back on all gas purchases I'd like to know also.

Besides that I just use the good ol Tommy Tutone discount which usually saves me at minimum $.20 per fill up

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Isn't the problem that the credit cards only allow about $95-100 max...unless you get the Flying J credit card. And then do they give you a discount for using credit. I am missing something here. I thought the only good discount is cash????
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
My Visa through my Credit Union returns 1% of purchases each qtr. I recently signed up for Amazon Visa which returns 2% for fuel. You might look at whose cc returns the most bang for your buck, other wise as mentioned cash talks better on instant discounts as far as I know.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have belonged to the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus program for years. As I recall, the final price came out to 6 cents lower than posted cash price. For complete information go to www.rvpluscard.com or call (855) 478-7587. You might find cheaper diesel at a convienence store but the ease of fueling at Pilot of Flying J makes all the difference in the world to me.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can qualify for membership. Pen Fed out of DC gives you 5% on all fuel.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post

Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post

PenFed, YES!! I have the card that gives cash back at 5% of the gas/diesel purchase price. I'm on my second $500 refund. Hate to think how many gallons that was but must have been fun. You don't have to be a veteran or in the military to join PenFed (Pentagon Federal) credit union but you do have to join to get the PenFed rewards cards.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Pilot card provides 6 cents off for GS Card and 8 cents off for GS Life Members. This is in addition to the discounted "cash per gal" price at Pilot and Fly. J's. Only drawback is that Pilot is normally above local stations fuel prices, but generally the same as other truck outlets --Loves/TA/Petro, etc. They're statements, documentation, and notification of pending payment is excellent. Ours closes out on the 11th and billing is on 26th of same month. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
We have belonged to the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus program for years. As I recall, the final price came out to 6 cents lower than posted cash price. For complete information go to www.rvpluscard.com or call (855) 478-7587. You might find cheaper diesel at a convienence store but the ease of fueling at Pilot of Flying J makes all the difference in the world to me.
If you're a lifetime GS member you get 8 a gallon off. Problem is they're usually 10 to 15 a gallon more than local stations and, unless you sign up for autopay you're limited to $1,000 a month. If you allow access to your account it's $2,000. In two weeks we used up the $1,000 limit and used cash from then on.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you want to figure the 5% credit card discount with diesel averaging $4 you would be saving .20 cents per gallon. That's a lot better than Flying J or any other fuel card discount that I know of. Plus you have the freedom to fill up where the price is less.

My credit card company gives 5% cash back during select months each year that include fuel purchases.

Dave
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
If you want to figure the 5% credit card discount with diesel averaging $4 you would be saving .20 cents per gallon. That's a lot better than Flying J or any other fuel card discount that I know of. Plus you have the freedom to fill up where the price is less.

My credit card company gives 5% cash back during select months each year that include fuel purchases.

Dave
Dave, Sounds like we may use the same card. I have the Chase Freedom Visa which has a 5% cash-back on the first $1500 in fuel cost in select quarters (2 qtrs / yr) plus 1% on all else. It would be nice to have something better. The Flying J card we use is just an RV Value card that gives us an additional few cents per gal discount plus some other benefits at Piolt/Flying J stations. Since we appreciate the convenience of the Flying Js we frequent them every chance we get.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PenFed as others have commented. $15 to join if you are not Military, Federal worker, etc. 5% credit on the statement each month for fuel paid at the pump.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
PenFed 5% gas 3% food 1% everything else.

Tags
diesel