Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Diesel engine heater

How do you use the engine heater? Does the switch key need to be on? How long do you leave the heater on before you crank the engine? What should the ambient temp be before you use the heater? This on a 380HP cummins. TK!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #2

Diesel engine heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner Elk View Post
How do you use the engine heater? Does the switch key need to be on? How long do you leave the heater on before you crank the engine? What should the ambient temp be before you use the heater? This on a 380HP cummins. TK!

Iím a believer in giving the engine & starting system all the help available. In that regard, anytime the ambient will be down in the 30s or lower, I turn on the engine heat the night before. The typical engine heater is a 120 VAC resistance heater mounted in the coolant system. The heater operates independently of the ignition.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you referring to the block heater? I'd suggest 3 hours on when above 30 degrees, 8 hours below 0, and somewhere between when 0 - 32 degrees.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins has in their manual to run the block heater at least 2 to 4 hours before starting the engine. Depending on the year of your coach the block heater will be on a wall mounted rocker switch or incorporated into your RV digital control for your accessories. To me if I know I am going to use it the next day and it is 40 or below I will turn it on. It will not hurt anything. I wouldn't leave it on for weeks at a time if you are just sitting in a campground because mice will find the engine to be a nice cozy winter bed. The key switch does not need to be on since it is run off of 120 Volts.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZilla View Post
Cummins has in their manual to run the block heater at least 2 to 4 hours before starting the engine. Depending on the year of your coach the block heater will be on a wall mounted rocker switch or incorporated into your RV digital control for your accessories. To me if I know I am going to use it the next day and it is 40 or below I will turn it on. It will not hurt anything. I wouldn't leave it on for weeks at a time if you are just sitting in a campground because mice will find the engine to be a nice cozy winter bed. The key switch does not need to be on since it is run off of 120 Volts.
My Cummins owners manual has a chart displaying temps to use block heater and suggested run times, just as it has a chart showing oil grades to use in different temperature ranges.
One important thing it also says is not to let the engine idle more than 10 minutes before driving, does more harm than good.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Banner Elk".....How your engine block heater is turned on, is dependent upon the coach builder. On many, there is a switch on the dash. On my Monaco Diplomat and on my Newmar Dutch Star, there is a plug in the engine bay that needs to be plugged in for the block heater to operate, no switches.

So......you need to see how yours works. When plugged into shore power, I'll usually turn it on the night before we're leaving. When boon docking, I turn it on in the morning for 2 hours, while we're running the generator prior to departure.

For those with hydronic heating, some coaches will heat the engine via the hydronic heater. My coach heats hot water with the engine running, but will not heat the engine via the heater, unless I add an optional pump and switch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The newer diesel engines will start just fine W/Out the block heater plugged in, just let the pre-heat (Grid heaters, or Glow plugs) work as it needs before you turn the key to start! The block heaters are for below 20* or colder temp's and if you know the temps are going to get colder than 20*, then plugging it in after you shut the motor off the night before, it will keep your motor warm all night! (It works much better if you start with a warm motor, and does not have to work as hard to keep the motor warm!) Just make sure you unplug it before you fire up in the morning! The block heaters will not heat the coolant in the radiator or the far reaches of the motor, and if you start before unplugging, that cold coolant will cause the block heater to short out, and you will be replacing it for sure, and it is a messy job! The block heaters are all 1500 Watts, so if you are paying the power bill, and you leave it on all night, you will notice the increase in the bill! Like trying to heat your MH with a hair dryer! Rail!
Old 11-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
... On my Monaco Diplomat and on my Newmar Dutch Star, there is a plug in the engine bay that needs to be plugged in for the block heater to operate, no switches...
My Ambassador, open the rear doors, and the outlet is at the top, and the cord is hanging down. Just plug in and you're set, and as mentioned, unplug before starting. My block heater outlet does have its own circuit breaker as well in the AC breaker panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
... Like trying to heat your MH with a hair dryer! Rail!
So that's what I've been doing wrong!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have a plug in the last storage bay, street side, that must be plugged in, and a switch turned on in the rear of the coach to activate the plug. I use a household timer, and set it for four hours prior to scheduled departure to come on.

BTW, the Cummins manual says to use preheat if the temperature is 40 or below.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #10

Mine plugs into an outlet under the bed and has the switch mounted at the foot of the bed support box. Seems they could be about anywhere depending on manufacturer.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
If it will be 20 degrees or less, I do not use it. The inlet heater is all that is required. There is a specific algorithm, for all Diesels based on Air and Coolant temperature.
The inlet heater can stay on for up to 30 Seconds. This algorithm, also prevents anyone from just taking off at a high rate of RPM, as it will limit you.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My Cummins owners manual has a chart displaying temps to use block heater and suggested run times, just as it has a chart showing oil grades to use in different temperature ranges.
One important thing it also says is not to let the engine idle more than 10 minutes before driving, does more harm than good.
I'm familiar with that regarding newer engines with particulate filters and DEF systems, but I was always under the impression that you would want your engine oil (and tranny fluid) closer to operating temps before putting a drive load on either. Is this no longer the case, or am I just thinking of older engines?
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
*Side Note*.......For those who have the exterior plug in the engine bay, don't forget that it's there, it can often be handy for plugging in extension cords for things operated outside the coach, especially since it has it's own circuit breaker.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoPilot View Post
I'm familiar with that regarding newer engines with particulate filters and DEF systems, but I was always under the impression that you would want your engine oil (and tranny fluid) closer to operating temps before putting a drive load on either. Is this no longer the case, or am I just thinking of older engines?
No longer the case. A long warm-up was necessary 50-60 years ago, technology remedied that. The Cummins engine owners manual says to avoid a heavy engine load in cold weather until coolant reaches normal operating temp. Does your owners manual address this?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, heat, heater