RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Engine Monitor

I have a 2006 Monaco Diplomat with a 400 ISL Diesel engine. My gages appear to be out of calibration. Ifor example the temp gage does not go all the way down when cold and goes up to the highest mark before the red when driving. The fuel gage only goes to 7/8 full, etc. I am looking for a monitor that attaches to the OBD port that would give numerical values.
What system can you recommend? I donít think I need to retune the engine as it runs good at this time.

Thanks

Bill1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

VMSPC replacement option

Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do a search for Silverleaf VMSpc, they provide a module that connects to the port and then you use your own laptop or pad for the display. It will provide diagnostics for both engine and transmission. Engine temps, oil psi. boost. Transmission temps, torque, gear. Will also provide speed and MPG and fuel consumption, plus when you put in your tank size it you can know how much fuel you have left (this will not include generator use) and is very accurate. You and also info along with trip info.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I use the ScanGuage D! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used the VMSpc for years in two different rigs. Ended up using a ACER Netbook velcroed to the dash for readout. Present rig has a VMS 400 CL built in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill.....I started running the Silverleaf VMSpc system on my 2005 Diplomat back in about 2010. I have run it on all my coaches since then and wont start the coach without it. With that said, I still use the VMSpc system because that is what I'm use to, but their support of the product is horrific. Five years ago they said they would correct an issue where the program is suppose to show you what gear you're in and what gear you've asked for, that window still doesn't work. I still use their oldest version of the program as their launches of newer programs are failures. They've become too busy with making whole coach monitors and have forgotten their roots. For your coach, the computer program is free, but the cable from your Jport to the computer ( I think they also offer Bluetooth) is about $300- $400. Many use a small tablet or Ipad for the computer screen. I use a small 10" notebook that has a 12 volt plug.

Giving them some competition is a new company that has been making monitoring systems for years and has introduced themselves to the RV community. They're called BlueFire. There is a post running in the Newmar Forum on the new system. I found it a little complicated to setup (not intuitive). It is a Bluetooth setup. Keep in mind that these engine monitors take their information directly from the engine computer.

Here is a link to Amazon..… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CS1HUXI...starcapital-20

Lastly, the Monaco gauges never were that accurate, especially the trans temp and engine temp. There is no aftermarket engine reader that will read your fuel gauge. The fuel gauge on your coach is made by Centroid and is adjustable. It's located behind the false panel on the driver's side of the coach. The panel where the fuel door is located. If you look underneath that panel, under the coach, there are two screws that keep that panel from lifting up. Remove the screws, lift the panel, and you'll see the sending unit, about 18's in. It will probably have tar on it and will need to be cleaned to access the adjustment screws. Fill your tank and make small adjustments. See the below link.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/moncal.htm
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
We have used this option since 1995 on two coaches. I never check the dash gauges. The Silverleaf takes it's data directly from the engine ECM. Much more accurate.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you this confirms my suspicions and gives some options.
Bill1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
We have used this option since 1995 on two coaches. I never check the dash gauges. The Silverleaf takes it's data directly from the engine ECM. Much more accurate.
FWIW last summer when we had an overheating problem if I had relied on my dash gauges I would have probably cracked the block. Our Silverleaf prevented damage. We have an "antique" in-dash Silverleaf. 20 years old and still going strong!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #11

2000 Monaco Dynasty, where would the interface socket be located?
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #12

In the interest of completeness, the gauge drivers may be small, inexpensive stepper motors. I had similar gauge problems in my Chevy Avalanche. If this is the case and you are comfortable with soldering, and the cluster removes easily, it's a pretty easy fix.

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, monitor