Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Diesel engine Oil Analysis

Have any of you who have purchased used Diesel coaches had an engine oil analysis test done before you bought the coach ? I've had a couple people advise me to do it, but when I've mentioned it to dealers, they don't seem to know what I'm talking about .

michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Did one after purchase using Blackstone Labs service.

Dealers probably do not want the oil tested.

Also if a test were going to occur, they would then have the oil changed so your sample would not likely be useful.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Blackstone Labs will do it and they will send you the container free.
Blackstone Labs

Any of the local big factory diesel repairs shops for Cummins or CAT will know a local lab that can do it.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
dealers are great at playing "stupid"
In the diesel industry oil sampling is fairly common to do, also in the aircraft.
Then only problem with just doing an initial one is it only gets you started, and if there is something really wrong. In order to really know whats going on, excess wear, to much metal, you have to do several over a period of time to get an accurate picture of anything unusual.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I agree. The oil analysis doesn't do much good if it is fresh clean oil. Hopefully the oil is black and in need of changing because that is when it contains the best evidence.

I will say that if the MH is low miles (less than 100K miles) the chances of being a bad motor is pretty slim. The worse thing that could happen would be freezing of the block in the winter. Most MH owners take care of their motors. Even if you pushed the oil changes to the limit it is still not going to ruin a motor. We diesel MH owners are a little paranoid about our motors and we take care of them a lot better than most big truck owners do and they get lots of miles on their motors.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Before you put your "Pot of Gold" down on the unit and trust the oil analysis will give you a "Feel Good Feeling" read Maintenance Rant - History of oil analysis . You may change your mind of that feel good item.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Oil analysis at every oil change for me on gen, engine oil, trans fluid at every change. Lets you know whats going on inside, if there is a problem it can be addressed at home instead of beside the road. It will also tell you about your oil change intervals to soon or to long, no need changing fluids just for fun especally on diesels, and allison trans with 6 gal of real costly fluid and filters.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
Also did one after purchase went to local Cat dealer bought sample test kit had results back in 10 days, all good! Also had Allison shop run diagnostics on tranny, also all good! Documentation good for ESP extended warranty also.
2002 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Towing 26' Enclosed and/or 2007 Liberty
Driver: Chip Navigator/Chef: Julie
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want to use oil analysis as a diagnostic tool, you need to sample at every oil change or at established intervals if you are on an extended oil drain program. This will establish a pattern in wear metals so you can evaluate trends. Of course, any single analysis has the possibility of detecting an impending catastropnic failure; coolant in the oil. excess fuel in the oil or sudden rise in one of the critical wear metals.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't do one and not going to do one.
Don't really care. If it going to have a catastrophic failure, I wouldn't know how to stop it from happening.
And probably no one else could stop it.
Hard to stop a blow out on a tire before it happens.

It will be it will be 2017 or 18 before it has 100K on it.

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote