Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Engine Sounds like bucket of bolts when starting

the last several times we've started our MH, the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts are loose in there. We called Monaco Tech support, told the guy what was going on & even held the phone by the engine. It goes away after about 5 minutes when you start driving it. He said it was a common thing with diesel engines & not to worry about it. We've been thru several tanks of fuel so that isn't it. We've had this MH over 2 years & this is the first time we've had this problem. I assume the tech should know, but it is making us really nervous. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks

karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

What engine do you have?

Jim

Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It's a 400 horsepower Cummins
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #4

I dunno'....hard to say what you may be hearing, normal or otherwise.
Since this is something that you consider new and unusual and is bothering you, I might suggest you contact your local/closest Cummins Dealer and see if you could "swing by" and have them take a moment and give it a listen. If anyone would know what is normal and what is not, they would....that's their business. I have found our local Cummins Dealership to be very helpful...as recently as today, coincidentaly. A friendly handshake and a warm smile (including pleading eyes) might even obtain an educated opinion from one of their techs...at no cost. If not, a little diagnosis time, even at some cost, could go a long way in uncovering a possible problem. Or putting your mind at ease....and that may be priceless. Just MO.....

Perhaps someone else here can chime in with some more specific info that might explain the noise. Please let us know how you proceed and/or what you find out....thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

I am an old navy marine diesel mechanic and although I can't be positive, it sounds like poor oil circulation on start up. As it warms up, the oil gets slightly thinner and flows easier, but at start up, if there are any restrictions, such as a partially plugged feeder line or even a dirty oil filter, it can cause the sounds you are hearing upon start up.

Best advice is let a mechanic hear it in person right from turning the key on.

John
Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

if there is alot of white/black raw diesel smell on start up you could have an injector going, diesel knock sounds like a bad piston or bearing.....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

oorrr is there an air compressor on the engine ? accesorie drive or the comp could be shot
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Does your oil pressure spool up quickly (10 seconds) when the engine is started?

Is the engine set to high idle (it should be) when cool and first started but after good oil pressure is obtained?

Do you have the extra noise when engine is running at high idle @1,000 rpm?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know how many miles you have on yours but, our '08 cummins ISC 8.3 sounded and performed quite differently at 20K then 35K than it did at 5K? They take a long time to wear in and they do loosen up, usually providing increased performance and nominal improvement in fuel economy. Noticed either of these lately?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
What a bucket of bolts sounds like is as simple as your opinion or mine. Hearing it from my seat in front of the computer is only speculation on the unknown. Taking it to an experienced Diesel mechanic would be your best choice.
A Diesel engine starts with compresion, not with a spark plug. They can hammer as they start and will to a different degree with different outside temps and/or the amount of fuel injected. There may also be other factors. If my engine sounded different then what I felt was normal, I would be looking for and educated guess as well!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

My experience with a loud hammering knock on cold start up is with a C-7 Cat so it may not apply to your Cummins. That said the hammering knocking noise (LOUD) would go away after a few minutes and the engine ran fine. I setup a appointment with the local Cat dealer that has a few onroad engine technicians as well as their construction equipment mechanics. I dropped it off in the afternoon and left it overnight. In the morning they hooked their diagnostic computer system up to it and started it. The knock was there and it only took a couple of minutes to determine I had a bad injector that was leaking fuel onto the top of the #4 piston. A rebuilt injector fixed it.

Jim
Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
It may be your pre heat cycle is not working.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We're going to contact Cummins & see what they have to say. There aren't any major repair places close to where we are now, so we'll start with a phone call. Thanks for all your input. Will let you all know when we figure it out.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

If you are worried about it, and it is a VERY expensive thing to break, one of the advantages of a heavy diesel is the repair guys make house calls. A couple of hundred bucks is cheap insurance, unless you are insured.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, noisy diesel engine