Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #1

Diesel engine temperature range

Hello to you all!

Here is my question:

I am travelling across Florida right now and i worry a little about my Diesel engine oil temperature as i am On The road, although no warning lights yet... The temperatures i am seeing are almost always around over 200 degrees and even go over 212 at times... Do have a problem or is this normal ? My M.H. is a Allegro Breeze 2012 with a Maxxforce 7.

Thank you so much!
ylacasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #2

What I just googled sounds normal oil temp is a little higher than coolant temp .
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you talking about coolant or oil temp? My coolant temp stays around 180° and goes up in the hills whereas my oil temp runs about 20° higher.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

I do not have an oil temp gauge on my 450 ISL. Did you mean water temp? The water temp of my diesel will run between 180 and 212 depending on the load on the engine. The fan kicks into high speed at 212 and it quickly cools down to 190.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My 350 runs 190-191 degrees. HOWEVER, last summer it started running in the range you are talking. Stopped at a small diesel repair shop and they immediately said my radiator was plugged. They used compressed air and a pressure washer (carefully) to wash it out, and 45 minutes later I was headed down the road again with "normal" temps. They did get a lot of dirt out of it to my surprise. Dick
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
YC1

Normal range on my 400 ISL. Around 190 most often but when it is hot outside it runs 200-210. No worries at those temps. I wouldn't break a sweat ulness it is getting close to 230. However coolant temps probably would be too high if your tranny is getting that hot.

Stop and go traffic in hot weather with the tranny in gear can make the temps go up. I will often drop mine into neutral and have even shut it off but there is always a chance it won't start and probably is not a good place to be with a dead RV.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

I have a 2011 Maxxforce in my box truck It does and will run over 200 It is a bit of a different animal than the Cummins.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #8

Diesel engine temperature range

Thank you all for your responses. Actually, On my Dashboard, it just says "engine temp" so i assumed it was The oil temperature...but i am not 100% positive. I get from your responses that even if it goes near "water boiling point" i should not get too worried about it...? Thanks again!!!
ylacasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's water temperature. It will not boil at 212 because it is not just water, it's Coolant. I have a 2011 Maxxforce 7 and it runs at 195 to 200 most of the time and on hills it will get up to 210-212 - the fan will come on and quickly lowers the temp to 200 or so. Never had any warning lights. I think it's good to have some higher temps once in a while to help burn off soot in the DPF. I've never had a parked regen request and avoid long idle times. Getting great mileage.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All newer Tier4 diesels with DEF will run hotter. They have to keep the exhaust a certain temp to keep the catalyst process functioning. And then you will have regens that will even run hotter
Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
In my days researching and writing purchase specifications for a public transit agency, 195 degrees was considered the optimal coolant system operating temperature for a diesel engine. We spect’d new equipment accordingly.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylacasse View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Actually, On my Dashboard, it just says "engine temp" so i assumed it was The oil temperature...but i am not 100% positive. I get from your responses that even if it goes near "water boiling point" i should not get too worried about it...? Thanks again!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg495 View Post
It's water temperature. It will not boil at 212 because it is not just water, it's Coolant. I have a 2011 Maxxforce 7 and it runs at 195 to 200 most of the time and on hills it will get up to 210-212 - the fan will come on and quickly lowers the temp to 200 or so. Never had any warning lights. I think it's good to have some higher temps once in a while to help burn off soot in the DPF. I've never had a parked regen request and avoid long idle times. Getting great mileage.
Not only will it not boil due to it (the coolant mixture) containing antifreeze, but, another equally important reason is, IT'S UNDER PRESSURE! That is, the primary reason that radiator caps allow for systems to run at higher pressures than standard atmospheric pressure is to increase the boiling point of the water/mixture/coolant. Since engines of today, diesel/gas etc. are running a LOT hotter than yesteryears engines, the cooling systems and for the most part, are all designed to run hotter and, the engines and all components related to them, are also designed to run hotter.

In the 50s, 60s, 70s and maybe into the 80s, most of us ran 180 degree thermostats as a standard temp controller. But, as smog requirements grew more and more stringent, engine designers figured out that with a bit of redesign to make them run hotter, you'd get better burn and, less emissions. And of course, there's a whole plethora of other improvements too. I think our 2015 Jeep JKUR with the 3.6L Pentastar V-6 has a 205 degree thermostat but, not sure.

But, to the OP, yep, running that "warm", is no big deal. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, runs around 185-195, based on outside ambient temp and, what kind of incline I might be at the time. But, it will surge to around 210 or more, if I run a grade that's long enough and the outside temp hovers in the 100 degree marks or so. But, it calms back down when things level off.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, temperature