Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Diesel fuel

My question is basically...If I'm traveling the major highways and stopping at the brand truck stops...can I get diesel that is not Ultra Low Sulphur.
Sometimes the pumps have the ULS sticker, sometimes not, sometimes the prompt says #2, etc.
Been told only ULS is available any more.
I'm always sort of concerned every time I fill up..can I rest easy?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

I believe, and the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, ULSD became mandatory for on-highway application somewhere near the beginning of 2011. (ETA: I just looked it up; it was December 1, 2010). Up until then, stations were in the process of converting as I remember, especially from 2007 through 2010, where some stations/truck stops had it and some didn't. Today, all on-highway diesel sold to the public in the U.S. should be ULSD.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You can zero in on just north america and read up on the ultra low fuel

Ultra-low-sulfur Diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I do believe that amanda's right.

I've never seen anything but ULS at pumps but did come across something strange a few weeks ago while refueling at a truck stop in Maine.

It allowed me to use my CC to pay at the pump but asked if I wanted "tractor" of "refer" fuel. I selected tractor and have since learned that the refer fuel was probably the dyed diesel for non highway use which didn't carry with it the road taxes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I do believe that amanda's right.

I've never seen anything but ULS at pumps but did come across something strange a few weeks ago while refueling at a truck stop in Maine.

It allowed me to use my CC to pay at the pump but asked if I wanted "tractor" of "refer" fuel. I selected tractor and have since learned that the refer fuel was probably the dyed diesel for non highway use which didn't carry with it the road taxes.

Rick
Good choice Rick !! BIG Fines if you get caught (and they do check) with "off road" diesel in your vehicle. That's why it is died of course, easy for DOT or Troopers to take a sample. And no, this is not just big trucks. I know of a few driving diesel pickups that have been tested.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

Diesel fuel

Well...that eases my mind. Just pull up and fuel up with no chance of a goof up.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
Well...that eases my mind. Just pull up and fuel up with no chance of a goof up.
Thanks
Guess I avoided your question, but yes, everything 'on road' is ultra low sulfur now days....
Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Good choice Rick !! BIG Fines if you get caught (and they do check) with "off road" diesel in your vehicle. That's why it is died of course, easy for DOT or Troopers to take a sample. And no, this is not just big trucks. I know of a few driving diesel pickups that have been tested.
Monkey
Yep, I heard the stories. In retrospect, I heard a lot of squawking on the intercom between truckers and the office and it may well be that if one selects refer fuel the office comes on line and asks for some kind of commercial number... I don't know... but it did seem strange that it might be on the "honor system"

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Yep, I heard the stories. In retrospect, I heard a lot of squawking on the intercom between truckers and the office and it may well be that if one selects refer fuel the office comes on line and asks for some kind of commercial number... I don't know... but it did seem strange that it might be on the "honor system"

Rick
I cannot answer that, as I don't pull a reefer. And probably an RV would be the last vehicle checked for violation, but,,,,,,,,

Tags
diesel, fuel