Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
diesel fuel additives

I am a new owner of a diesel motorhome and want to know if one needs to add anything to the fuel while parked in Yuma Az for the winter. The motorhome will not be run again until April. Thank you for any information you can give.

for36rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
No need to add anything. Just fill the tank and let it sit.

dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Completely agree with dons. Additives are a waste of money. Just keep your take full so it doesn't condensate and create water.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Fill the tank and add a fuel stabilizer and a biocide. The biocide will prevent the fuel combining with water (from condensation) to produce algae, which can plug your fuel filter(s). I've been using this method in a boat with a diesel engine for years...you don't want any algae.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Fuel critters

Ahmen to what Cat320 said.

About 7 years ago I stopped for diesel along the LOusiana gulf coast about two months after Katrina and bought fuel at a Truck stop. I went about 2 hrs and hen the rig sputtered and I coasted into a Truck Parts parking lot. It was Dec 23rd and my whole family was watching me on Friday night at 5 pm to see if the grinch was going to steal Christmas. I convinced the parts place to stay open long enough to buy primary and secondary filters. With a trip in the toad to Walmart I bought buckets and rags. The next morning in 20 deg temps I proceeded to change those filters. (The nearest diesel service said he could fix me after Christmas). We made it for Christmas but I have fought algae and contaminated fuel every since. I replace filters about 3 times a year to make the Cummins run right. Once you get algae in the tank, it's bad news. The alternative is to pay for tank cleaning which not many places want to do.

The past two years I've started using a anti-algae additive popular with big diesel boats( don't recall name). I bought it at a truck stop and it wasn't real expensive. About every 2-3 tanks I put some in. So far....good. Filters now back to scheduled maintenance.

If RV's ran a lot like trucks, it'd be easy to maintain the fuel. Mine sits for 2-3 months (I always keep it full) and algae can grow. I live in FL where the climate is moist. Perhaps where it freezes or in the desert it would be no problem. My view is for about $20 you can buy enough fuel treatment to protect your RV when you sit. Maybe I just was unlucky and got one bad tank and you won't.
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
I have had an old army mechanic tell me the same. Algae is your worse nightmare for diesel. Use Biocide at all times. Here is what he suggested and its in mine as we speak!!

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
As long as you buy fuel from someplace that sells a fair amount of fuel you don't need to add anything. Just avoid places that would have old fuel in their tank.

2005 Sportscoach Elite 40' C-7 350 Cat w/MP-8
Suzuki Samurai toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel
800w solar system
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the engine mfg really wanted fuel additives added they would of put an container on your engine and branded an additive for you to use. If parking for over 2-4 months keep your fuel tank FULL. no air no room for algae to grow. Additive companies make a fortune selling this stuff. Yet, not one can show actual engineering datra that supports the use of the products. they make claims, show me the proof, not just sales brochures. Save a buck, don't buy junk additives. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
What year is the coach/engine? If before ULSD, then I would for sure use an additive.

We have a 2004 ISL, and I use XPD and Amsoil Cetaine (SP?) in each tank. The XPD for lubrication of the pumps, and the Cetaine for a bit more burn.

Cheap insurance. And as you will see, many opinions will vary!

Also good tip on buying from a station with high fuel tank turnover.

Aso suggest you carry a spare set of fuel filters, better to have if needed...

Best of luck, have fun, be safe,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

From post above: "no air no room for algae to grow." That's just not correct.

Algae grows at the top of a layer of water and under the fuel. Since water is heavier than diesel fuel the layer is at the bottom of the tank. Keeping the tank full does not guarantee no water but it will certainly help keep condensation to a minimum.
The "diesel bug" or algae is a microbe named Cladosporium Resinae. Once it's in your tank it's a "bear" to get rid of. IMHO it's best to use additives to prevent it.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Thanks to all for the algae lesson. Think I will buy some insurance for my tank and a set of fuel filters for the toolbox...

Ma Snart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06407.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	29282  
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
First of all I never buy bio diesel as it is cheap crap. Will gel in cold weather and grow algae year round. We run a little Howels additive year around in the semi trucks as this new low surfer diesel is hard on injectors and fuel injection pumps. If I were to let a diesel set for six months I would fill it up as then there is no room for condensation. Also dump a jug of Howels or power service as this new government mandated fuel is way to dry. I never buy gasohol as it is hard on about everything in your engine. Total crap also mandated by the government. And it takes two barrels of crude oil to make one barrel of gasohol. But we all love to pay taxes now don't we!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Cummins parts sell a fleet guard product - a biocide
Can't say its crap but it ain't cheap
I think it was $150 for 2 liters??
It killed the algae on first contact.
I then changed the filters 3x over the next 5000 miles. Now I have a clean tank - shame I just upgraded. Just added the last of the product into my new motor home before it went to bed for winter. Fuel looked good but great insurance.
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #14

I also have been running diesels in my boat since 1994. The boating world knows to use additives to keep the engines running. No tow trucks 100 miles out in the ocean.

lowpasslew is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, fuel