Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Diesel fuel additivies

Anyone use FPPF Fuel Power fuel treatment? Would be interested in results.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

I have used Power Service for the last 10 or 12 years in my MH and also my Powerstroke. I have never had my fuel gel even traveling in below zero weather. Both rigs seem to run smoother and the cetane helps out the fuel to burn better.

I am sure there will be posts stating you do not need it or it's snake oil. Whatever, when you have super cold temps I do not take the chance. When snowmobiling some of my riding buddies have had the fuel in their rigs gel up. I have never had that happen

My 97 PSD runs quieter and smoother when I use Power Service. I run it all year. In my MH I run it every tank in the winter an every third tank in the summer. I usually put on 30,000 plus miles a year in my MH
Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
FPPF, Power Serve, Howes, etc are all about the same, so run which ever one trips your trigger if it's something you feel inclined to do. So far I've only added additives in the fall when I put the coach to bed for the winter. I'm sure that next year when we take off full time it'll be a different story.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The stockholders of FPPF thank you for your generous donation.

Seriously, unless you are buying garbage fuel, the cetane rating of the fuel you buy at the pump is all that your engine can use and the fuel meets ASTM standards for diesel fuel, as specified by Cummins & Cat. It doesn't need any additives to make the fuel better, and additives cannot increase performance.

Go ahead and use them if you like, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cummins

Recommends NO additives.
Maybe a biocide if it sits in a wet environment for long periods.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I use Howe's Anti-Gel in the winter and add a biocide during periods of storage.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #7

All diesel fuel is now blended to suit local climates to prevent gelling. If you fill up in the summer and let it sit 6 months, then you may have an issue. However, today's diesel fuel only has a 9 month shelf life, so a stabilizer might be more important, if you anticipate slow consumption. I am not sure that Stabil's diesel stabilizer works, and that is the only one I have seen? Power Service and similar products are cetane boosters, and I agree they are not needed (worked as engineer for Amoco/BP for 30 years).
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Recommends NO additives.
Maybe a biocide if it sits in a wet environment for long periods.
yes as far as injectors.fuel pumps etc cummins wont recommend any additives but when it comes to treating fuel that may have algae or water that's a different story and reason
another additive to consider once and awhile is the Lucas fuel additive to clean the dpf in the muffler (2007 and newer)
very expensive and only need once and awhile
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Fiesta48" and "select55"......Your statement regarding Cummins does not recommend additives is incorrect. In the last year or so, they started recommending additives to combat fuel that does not meet government standards for lubricity.

"GaryRVRoamer".....How do you know the fuel you're buying is meeting ASTM standards? An independent study showed that some of the diesel fuel tested around the country did not meet the government standards for lubricity.

After testing several brands, OptiLube came out high on the list for providing the additional lubricity to meet government standards.

Here is the Cummins statement.... "Cummins Filtration offers an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program".

When this question comes up, there are several whose mind you'll never change.....so before the debating starts, it's your coach and your money. If you don't believe in additives, don't buy them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Have used them all over the years, they all work about the same! On my older OTR truck, the newer ULSD did not have the lube property's my older diesel engine needed. In the winter, yes i used anti-gel, and it works! You don't really need it till the temp's drop below 20* or so!
Most MH's never see that cold of operating conditions, but some do, and yes, i would advise a anti-gel product like Power Service, Howes, or what ever is the best price!
It only take one time buying a load of bad fuel (water) in the south, (not blended) and traveling up north and into freezing temps, and having your truck or MH die with froze filters, lines, etc. to understand!
Also agree with DS Don, X-2 !00% Rail!
Old 12-25-2016, 04:43 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When this question comes up, there are several whose mind you'll never change.....so before the debating starts, it's your coach and your money. If you don't believe in additives, don't buy them.

WORD!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
yes as far as injectors.fuel pumps etc cummins wont recommend any additives .......

Cummins won't recommend any additives?

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/additives

Not even their own brand?
Old 12-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #13

I use additives occasionally and will share a story.

I have an excavating business and own many diesel engines comprised of trucks and machines. Randomly throughout the summer I add a lubricator cleaning treatment, the grey bottle of power service. When cold I do use the white bottle of anti gel power service. I feel this helps clean and lubricate and here is the crux of the story.

My cat 420d backhoe has been idling erratically especially when cold. For example when you had it idling and put a load on it like when raising the bucket while at idle, the rpm would drop drastically almost stalling out before correcting itself. With only 5,000 hours I didn't want to think it was an injection pump. My friends case machine exhibited same symptoms and he had to replace his injection pump. So, I juiced her up with a heavy dose of the power service and ran the full tank empty. Believe it or not, problem has gone away. I also have a 1987 dump truck with a big cam cummins. It too has had a good dose or two especially when hauling all day long and I can hear and feel the difference.

So with that said I feel additives work. I want to order the optilube for our 8.3 isc but until then I will use the power service. I have never tracked the fuel economy to see if the cetane makes a difference but I will tomorrow. Taking the rv to Ocala from pa and will dose here the whole way and see how mileage does.

Even if it just makes me feel better that I am helping the mechanicals in my motor that is fine. With an actual response to the product I feel comfortable using these products too. To each his own.

There was also another thread on this same topic and someone had posted a pdf of an independent lab study on ten or so additives and their efficacy.

Merry Christmas and all Holidays!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #14

Cummins Filtration is a marketing arm of Cummins. Cummins still doesnt recommend additives. Read your manual that came with your engine, not an aftermarket profit centers recommendation. I have a Cat 436 backhoe and when idling the hydraulics are too much of a load for idle.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel