Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never had to change filters along the road yet... I do carry spare filters with me. I also changes the filters every 10K miles.

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
That's why we have a tow service. If it quits, THEY tow it to a repair place.. We do carry oil/fuel filters in case they are not available (Due to shelf life we use those filters and replace with new annually).
The last time my MH was towed, the tow driver did $700. in damage. 30 days between body shop and 3M mask shop. I would rather change the filter myself.

I also had the filter kit installed on my last coach moving it from under the bed to the back of the coach, money well spent. I have had to change filters at least 4 times on the side of the road, and one was bad fuel from Flying J...must have been the bottom of their tank, but bad none the less.

The first sign of an engine sputter...changing the first fuel filter normally solves the problem.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It sounds like a lot of you have a Freightliner chassis with the filter under the bed. They make a kit to move it from under the bed to the rear of the coach, near the other filter. You can even add in a primer pump. Go to the Winnebago forum and do a search for moving the filter. Many have done it there.
Who has this kit? I did search and couldn't find it. I have a Cat C7 engine.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a link to my earlier thread on relocating the secondary filter on my Cat C7: Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump

It includes a listing of the parts used.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Rule of thumb, Change your fuel filters when you have your oil changed! Simple, but not perfect! You can get a bad filter, (rare), the tech can wrinkle the rubber gasket, and it will suck air and make it hard to start. If you do it yourself, rub a little bit of oil on the gasket, and do not over tighten, snug with your hand, then wrench it tight, just a little. Always fill to about 1/2 inch from the top, try not to over fill, because it will be very slick, and hard to tighten! And check it after the first 100 miles or so to make sure it and your oil filter are tight! When you stop to fuel at the truck stops, if you see the fuel delivery truck dumping fuel, go to the next one, or get a bite to eat, take a nap, and wait a 1/2 hour or so to let everything settle! At most it is not a issue, as they pump so much fuel in a day, it does not have time to get contaminated, but if you are at a mom and pop, just beware! If you fuel in the mid-west, a lot of the truck stops have bio-diesel, and it is best to stay away from it in the winter, as it gels up sooner than the no. 2 diesel, and if you are in the cold country, a blend of no. 1 and no.2 is the best! From a old retired trucker!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #20

I do the services on my motor home, partly because I do not trust the people who do this in most shops. Usually, it is not the tech's that do this work, but employees on the lower end of the experience spectrum. I was in a diesel shop recently, not for services, but saw someone installing an oil filter with a strap wrench. Ouch! I own several pieces of diesel equipment, SUV, tractors, mowers and the motor home. I am concerned that the quality of diesel fuel has declined as has gasoline. I have never used additives, but have started using additives on my tractor's and lawn equipment due to hard, rough starting problems. This probably makes filter changing even more important. I make an extra effort to keep the fuel tanks full, as the humidity has been high here this summer with wild temperature swings. The filters are relatively inexpensive and are the last line of defense against what I view as a drop in fuel quality. Any comments on this quality issue?
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #21

In my opinion this is not poor quality-it is government mandates. I started using Star tron enzyme additive in my Harley when they shoved ethanol down our throats. The boat guys were all using it as the ethanol attracts moisture out of the air. I also leave the tanks filled when I'm gone. I use it in my F150 if it's going to sit and also in all my gas cans for the mowers etc. used to be you could only get it from West Marine but now all the auto zones etc carry it. Will stabilize gas for up to two years. Now my problem is that all diesel within 100 miles of Dallas is up to 20% bio-diesel. It's hard to stay ahead of them.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #22

By the way guardrail was right on with his advice. I've pointed out the tanker dumping fuel to my wife over and over and she just doesn't get it-but she's also never had to change her own filter.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 10-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #23

40K on fuel filters... SMH
Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Good thing you decided to change the filters since the recommend filter changes on diesels are 15,000 miles.
15K if your on the road rollin that in 2 months, other wise 10K or once a year, what 50 bucks and a pair of disposable gloves..............
Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
15K if your on the road rollin that in 2 months, other wise 10K or once a year, what 50 bucks and a pair of disposable gloves..............
I change mine every year when I change the oil. I was just quoting my owners manual on the millage for filter change....15,000, showing it was not 40,000 miles.

BTW, it's a $100. on mine $65 main filter, $35. secondary.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #26

Last fall, on the way south, all of a sudden we couldn't get over 40MPH. Got to Stromsburg, Nebraska and changed both filters. Primary full of black fuel and algae flakes--big time!! Back up to speed after that!! I did and have since then been adding Startron diesel treatment for algae. one bottle-from NAPA-treats 256 gallons, costs around $19 with tax.
No algae problems since, and now my fuel sender unit in the tank has started to actuate the dash gauge. I believe the sender unit got "stuck" because previous owners let the coach sit without a full tank and it gunked up. All I know is that since I started treating the fuel with Startron the darn thing is working!!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #27

once a year along with oil change is super... but my manual says change fuel filters with every other oil change. i think either will be fine.
cc puts two filters at the right side rear compartment, easy to access. with a right filter-wrench it takes about 10 minutes for both (i do prefill).
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I change mine every year when I change the oil. I was just quoting my owners manual on the millage for filter change....15,000, showing it was not 40,000 miles.

BTW, it's a $100. on mine $65 main filter, $35. secondary.
I understand the 40K and your manual stating 15k and you doing it once a year, IMO 15k is to long, try finditparts.com for a good $ on Donaldson filters, they had a sale a month ago and I got the 2 fuel filters, oil filter and the hyd filter fro 66 bucks delivered

Tags
diesel, fuel