Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Diesel fuel filter change

How many have had to change a diesel fuel filter on the side of the road? If you had to change it did you have to change both, if you have two?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

I dont know if I had to, but I did both. Having a strap wrench in your toolkit will make it alot easier to get them off....
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerfamily View Post
I dont know if I had to, but I did both. Having a strap wrench in your toolkit will make it alot easier to get them off....
You had to change them on side of the road? I'm asking because my secondary filter is under tbed and I have put the slides out to get to the engine and the filter. Just looking to see what I have to do just in case I have to do it.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

I noticed that I was having surges and was able to get to a camp ground 5 miles away. My water separator 10 micron primary filter is in the passenger side rear bin. The 2 micron filter is under the floor of the bed room. I have to lift the bed and unscrew a removable section of the floor to get to it. I carry a rubber strap wrench for one and a belt strap wrench that I use a 12 inch extension for a ratchet wrench for the other. I just changed my two filters after about 40,000 miles because I am getting ready to make a trip of 4,500 miles. Cheep insurance to avoid a problem.

How often you have to change filters or how often is recommended is two different things and both depend on how clean is the fuel you purchase.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks I have never had a fuel filter clog so I didn't know how it would act. I thought it might shut down and I would be stuck along the highway
Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

Never had to but I do have filters and wrenches if I did. I change yearly with oil no matter mileage.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
I noticed that I was having surges and was able to get to a camp ground 5 miles away. My water separator 10 micron primary filter is in the passenger side rear bin. The 2 micron filter is under the floor of the bed room. I have to lift the bed and unscrew a removable section of the floor to get to it. I carry a rubber strap wrench for one and a belt strap wrench that I use a 12 inch extension for a ratchet wrench for the other. I just changed my two filters after about 40,000 miles because I am getting ready to make a trip of 4,500 miles. Cheep insurance to avoid a problem.

How often you have to change filters or how often is recommended is two different things and both depend on how clean is the fuel you purchase.
Did you really go 40K miles before a change? How many years was that? That seems excessive!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

To the OP,
Spartan made it very easy to change mine. My drier, hydrualic filter (1 of 2) and both fuel filters are easily accessible in a rear cargo area. I have done them on the side of the road. You need a strap wrench and the ability to catch a pint of diesel or so.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post

Good thing you decided to change the filters since the recommend filter changes on diesels are 15,000 miles.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds like a lot of you have a Freightliner chassis with the filter under the bed. They make a kit to move it from under the bed to the rear of the coach, near the other filter. You can even add in a primer pump. Go to the Winnebago forum and do a search for moving the filter. Many have done it there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
This is the reason that I service my Cat C7 once a year whether it needs it or not. The bucks spent once a year can save you thousands of $$$$$ being spent at one time.

Jerry
Old 10-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #12

What happens when you remove the primary filter? Does the fuel just keep flowing from the tank? Do you then just be fast with installing the new one?

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That's why we have a tow service. If it quits, THEY tow it to a repair place.. We do carry oil/fuel filters in case they are not available (Due to shelf life we use those filters and replace with new annually).
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
What happens when you remove the primary filter? Does the fuel just keep flowing from the tank? Do you then just be fast with installing the new one?

Robby
The filter sits higher than the tank and needs a "fuel pump" to get fuel to it. If the engine is not running when changing the filter....no fuel flow.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel