Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Fuel in Maritimes - not allowed at truck stops?

OK was just reading my Big Rigs Best Bets as I'm heading down to Nova Scotia in a couple of weeks.

In the section on fuel stops they say that that in the Maritimes (NS, NB, PEI)you need a commercial permit to refuel at truck stops and that you must use the ordinary diesel pumps that are co-located with gasoline pumps.

Can anyone confirm this is still valid? It would impact my route planning (and make a fuel stop more aggravating).

Also does anyone know if this applies in Quebec as well (their book has nothing on Quebec)?

Thanks for any feedback.

Chris

cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That's a good question Chris. I plan a trip there next year(?) and this definitely be something to consider.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
That's a good question Chris. I plan a trip there next year(?) and this definitely be something to consider.
If no one confirms anything here I'll let you know when I return.

Chris
Old 08-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
When I went thru New Brunswick, they have separate islands/pumps for
the commercial trucks. The non-commercial islands/pumps were
just fine, high speed and everything. I assumed it was a tax issue,
and thus the separate islands/pumps. Not a problem, at all.
I only fueled up once, since the prices are VERY high. Entered Canada
with full tanks, and left with 1/4. Bigger problem is the high price
of beer, $ 50.00 for a case of 24 12oz cans !
Old 08-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We've refueled at truckstops in the Maritimes (both Irving Big Stop and PetroCanada) without any problems. Also you don't always have to look for truck stops in Canada because many gas stations in rural areas have truck diesel pumps with easy in/out access.

Contrary to the previous post, prices in Canada are NOT all that high this year because the exchange rate is highly favorable to US citizens. As of today it is ~$1 USD = $1.32 CAD. With this exchange rate some grocery prices are real bargains. Here on PEI, we're buying mussels for $1/pound which means we're really buying them for $0.75/lb. We were buying lobster for $4/lb CAD ($3.20 US) last month when the exchange rate was a bit less.

As for gasoline prices, you have to include NOT JUST the exchange rate, but also the 7% difference between 4 liters and a gallon. Last week in Nova Scotia, I paid $1.11 CAD per liter for gas which translates to $3.14/gal (US) after you include both factors. Yes, it's more expensive than in the US but is still a lot less than we were paying this time last year.

We've spent the past three summers in Canada. This has been, by far, the least costly year.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
I just visited the Maritimes last month. Diesel was readily available along TransCanada highways.

I found two things amazing. There were Irving BigStops that required an I24 (Irving credit card) didn't take visa at those pumps. I couldn't fit at the rv pumps. But most others like PetroCanada and Ultramar and Irving were fine.
Secondly, DEF was not available in bulk at the pumps. If you have DEF, do yourself a favor and buy 5 gallons at Walmart in the U.S. Before you cross the border. I think it was over $12-13 for 2.5 gallons at most places. It's $9 at WallyWorld.

Enjoy
Old 08-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

I found that normally CA truck stops have one truck island that accepts RV's, but some have none. You gotta go in and ask. There were times it was challenging to re-fuel at auto-diesel pumps. I was very happy one of my "necessary items" when MH shopping was dual-fill points, it made re-fueling possible at some stations. I remember one station where it was so tight one MH had to unhook the towed to maneuver in, fill, back out, then reattach the towed. They hadn't followed the golden rule, which for RV'ers is " always drive off the top half of your fuel tank".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Bigger problem is the high price
of beer, $ 50.00 for a case of 24 12oz cans !
Note to self - Bring plenty of Beer
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #9

Just got back from maritimes in July. We ran into several places that we could not fuel at truck pumps and had to move to car/pickup pumps.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Just got back from maritimes in July. We ran into several places that we could not fuel at truck pumps and had to move to car/pickup pumps.
WHY??? Forbidden or just too tight?
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
Note to self - Bring plenty of Beer
Yep, a bit off topic, but I'm the OP - - at this time there is a constitutional challenge going on over buying beer in Quebec and brining it into New Brunswick for personal use(apparently a lot cheaper in Quebec). Mounties stopped a man with 14 cases of beer and 2 bottles of booze and 1 liqueur and fined him a couple of hundred bucks (and seized the booze). The limit is supposedly 18 bottles. Supposedly violates free trade between provinces.

Interprovincial liquor limits face constitutional challenge - New Brunswick - CBC News

Chris
Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses - I'll be sticking to the TCH from Morrisburg ON, right through to Truro NS so should be able to find places I can get into.
Just trying to figure how far to push it before I have to refuel (150 US gal tank), roughly 840 miles one way. Worst case 6MPG(?), should make it well into NB with 1/3 tank left.

Again Thanks

Chris
Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Yep, a bit off topic, but I'm the OP - - at this time there is a constitutional challenge going on over buying beer in Quebec and brining it into New Brunswick for personal use(apparently a lot cheaper in Quebec). Mounties stopped a man with 14 cases of beer and 2 bottles of booze and 1 liqueur and fined him a couple of hundred bucks (and seized the booze). The limit is supposedly 18 bottles. Supposedly violates free trade between provinces.

Interprovincial liquor limits face constitutional challenge - New Brunswick - CBC News

Chris
Note to self - disguise beer keg to look like propane tank
Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #14

Just returned from the Maritimes It is correct that you can not fill your rv at the truck pumps they would not take credit card or cash. We were told that the truck pumps were only for commercial use. It was very difficult to find pumps where we could get fuel driving a 45 ft. coach with toad. Fill up before going into Canada if you can.

Susie, John and Babygirl
Fort Myers, Fl

Tags
diesel, fuel