Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm! Guess I should be happy with my ISB 6.7, FLC, Winne Destination's 8.9 average on my last 4000 mile trip. Thanks all.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sleprr,
This is another vote for Stanadyne Performance Formula (they have quite a few products). It comes in a clear bottle with a blue label. I have over 10K mile using this product and gained a little over 1 MPG. The coach has 54K miles, Cummins ISC, coach weighs 32K and I am towing 5725 lbs. Both coach and toad were just four corner weighed. I travel 60 MPH on interstate highways. Stanadyne Performance Formula has kept my overall mileage at 8.6 MPG (it was a consistent 7.4).

Unfortunately, Cummins made a mandatory change to my exhaust system and after 2.2K miles I have lost 6/10 MPG. The fall trip is coming up and that will provide an additional 3.5K miles on the exhaust system. Time will tell if I can get the 8+ MPG back.

Another thought is altitude. I think for every 1K in elevation one loses 5% of the available HP. I know my ISC does not like the Rocky Mountains. Over 5K feet in elevation I really notice a drop in power. Above 12K feet in elevation and the ISC is searching for oxygen. She really slows down. Fuel mileage suffers greatly.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another thought is altitude. I think for every 1K in elevation one loses 5% of the available HP. I know my ISC does not like the Rocky Mountains. Over 5K feet in elevation I really notice a drop in power.
That's unusual for any turbo-diesel. The turbo boost can normally supply plenty of air, enough so the thinner air is no problem. If mine did that at 5000, I would be wondering if my turbo was working properly. I seen no lack of power up to 8000 ft. with my ISL.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
The rule of thumb is a 3 percent loss of power for every 1,000 feet of elevation for a normally aspirated gas engine.

Once you get a Diesel turbo spun up there should be very little loss in HP. One could have loss of HP if the wastegate or turbo isn't working like it should.

The Diesel has the same HP as at sea level but pushing all the weight up a hill it uses more of it and a little more fuel. But coming down the other side of that hill you should be using very little or no fuel.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #19

I think most people with large motorhomes,towing cars and claiming 9 and 10 mpg are going downhill with a tail wind. I get 7.5 to 8 mpg on my 06 Diplomat 40 ft motor home with a 400 Cummins engine towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee going 62 to 65 mph overall. It has 27000 miles on it and has been serviced and checked out on a regular basis. I would not expect more out of a motorhome this size. Power wise, it recently got me over the passes thru Glacier and hardly noticed the hills.

Neil
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pedersens View Post
I think most people with large motorhomes,towing cars and claiming 9 and 10 mpg are going downhill with a tail wind. I get 7.5 to 8 mpg on my 06 Diplomat 40 ft motor home with a 400 Cummins engine towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee going 62 to 65 mph overall. It has 27000 miles on it and has been serviced and checked out on a regular basis. I would not expect more out of a motorhome this size. Power wise, it recently got me over the passes thru Glacier and hardly noticed the hills.

Neil
Now now Neil, you know darn well we get over 11 mpg when going down hill with a good strong tail wind. Now let me tell you about going uphill with a strong head wind.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pedersens View Post

Neil
I have an 07 Bounder Turbo Diesel that when not towing achieves 9.2 MPG. Towing is 8.3 MPG. I still hope that with an additional 10K-20K miles it may get better.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding fuel additives, is it advisable to use fuel additives in diesel fuel to inhibit algae growth and deal with fuel tank condensation in rigs that are not used on a full time basis. I am concerned that these two issues in particular will be a problem as we will not be using our motor home on a regular basis through the winter. If additives are advised what have others found that works well in dealing with microbes and moisture?

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote