Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Diesel fuel stabilier?

We've been full timing for a few months. In several weeks we are going to stay in a park for a long stay while we work. I know I should have the tank full to keep moisture out, but I don't foresee traveling for a few months and not using much fuel except for starting the engine every couple of weeks. Should I have stabilizer in the fuel? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Gary Goldman
2007 Revolution 40 E

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to waylntat2
I use Diesel clean ,Gray in summer ,, white bottle in the winter ,, Yours is old enough to need the extra lube for the Injectors..

Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

I also use Diesel Kleen when I fill up. When winter comes I have the tank full and don't start until I'm ready to go again and that may be 4 months.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Why are you starting the motor every couple of weeks. You should if started bring the motor up to operating temp for a while, which means minimum of 1/2 hour or so down the road. Fill the tank to keep moisture out and add a stabilizer if you wish but not needed. And when it time to move on fire up and go. A couple three months is not a problem. Farmers do it on there equipment six eight months down time no trouble.

LEN
Old 06-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

I owned a diesel engined sail boat for 20 years and our current DP for 10 and yet to put a can of anything in the diesel fuel. I have never had a fuel problem except for how much it costs.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A lot of this fuel additive/Stabilizer is IMHO from the Old School Days when fuels would Varnish in the systems when left set for a long time. I've let fuel set in some things for 1 year or more with no varnishing issues. The BEST way to keep moisture out of a fuel tank is Keep the fuel tank FULL. If the tanks full there's no room for moisture to condense.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
No need to start it every couple of weeks. Does more harm then good.

For the last 11 years mine has sat for 7 months every winter without starting. Sometimes after 5-6 months I do start it to change the oil/filters, transmission fluid etc for maintenance. And a couple days before my spring trip I start it to add some 134A it needs every year.

I do add stabilizer and fill the tank 5 miles from the winter spot.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #8

I use Diesel Kleen because it is one of the few additives that is worth the money. I sit for four months at a time without starting the engine and have seen no problems from it. I do start the generator once a month and run it for 15 minutes, but not the engine.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

I used to work for the largest ambulance service in the state. They use Diesel Klean in all their ambulances new or old. We started using it in our diesel pickup when we had a 5th wheel. Picked up mpg a bit. And after a few tanks of treated fuel. It would start quicker and had less lagging on hills.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You are getting some incorrect information. Diesel Kleen is not a true stabilizer, although it does claim way down in it attributes, to be a stabilizer. It's primary claims are to clean injectors, boost power, improve economy, etc. A true stabizer is a fuel microbiocide that will kill bacteria and fungi, break up sludge and slime and prevent plugged filters. Bacteria and fungi get in the fuel from water being in it.

Here's an example: VALVTECT BioGuard Fuel Micro-Biocide - 16 oz | West Marine
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #11

I agree with Cat 20.....the most important additive for a resting diesel is a full tank and a biocide to kill algae, fungi, etc, this stuff is sold readily at the marine stores...just ask the diesel boaters how important this additive is to maintaining a healthy engine.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #12

Well I hate to put a damper on your parade but I don't fill the tank before putting the girl out to pasture. Not in the RV's, toys or boats, but I do put diesel kleen in once in a while. Never had a drop of water in the Racor in the 2 diesels in the past 20yrs. Not to mention the John Deere tractor and Kubota RTV and lets not forget the boats. But if it makes you feel good by all means have at it.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cummins and I suspect CAT will say that you should never have to add any fuel additives. Just use good grade/reputable fuel.

There are 2 "additives" that I do use when conditions warrant.

1. BIO KLEEN is a biocide to clean or prevent algae growth. When I first bought my coach I used a "shock treatment" amount because I didn't know how well the previous owner kept fresh fuel and mostly full tanks. Air and water along with the carbons in diesel are what allow algae to grow. After that, I use a maintenance dosage with the last fill up I have if I plan to be parked for more than 30 days. Otherwise, I do not use it for general purposes.

2. Stabil for Diesel is the other product. I only use it in conjunction the BIOKLEEN when parking for more than 30 days.

I'm am certain there are other competitive products that can do comparable jobs.

The only exception might be if I fill up with summer blend fuel and expect to run into rather cold conditions on that tank such as parking for a long time on that fuel and winter is approaching. In that case I would consider an anti-gel additive. However...I hope that never happens to me! LOL

BTW...in any of the conditions above, make sure you fill the tank, add any additives and run both the motor and the engine generator for about 20 minutes to get the treated fuel to all the right places.