Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Diesel Generator Question

I am shopping for a used diesel pusher motor home. I looked at a 2002 Holiday Rambler yesterday with 28000 miles on it. It is very clean inside and outside, but the 7500 watt Onan diesel generator has 2415 hours on it. Is this something that I should be concerned about, or does such a generator have a lot of remaining life. I know that if it were a gasoline powered unit, I would have reservations, but do not have any experience or knowledge about diesel generators. Please share your knowledge and experience with me. Thanks.
jerryl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Read in one of the motorhome magazines about a Onan with 25,000 hours on it.

It does seem like a lot of hours for a 11 year old coach with so few miles on it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

I would not worry about that few of hours on the generator. Sounds like a motorhome that has been dry camped a lot. NASCAR fans drive to races and park there mh at the track and run their generators all weekend. I drive mine to the drag races and park it in the pits next to the car and run the generator all weekend. Those Onan diesels will run for many hours
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

I would be more concerned if it had too few hours than to many. That Gen should run carefree for thousands of hours as long as it is run regularly and the proper maintenance has been preformed.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would trust a generator that has a couple of thousand hours on it versus a couple of hundred hours. If you don't run them or use them, chances are when you really need it, it won't run at all. Then it's off to the Cummins/Onan center for an extensive repair bill.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #6

From my understanding those hours are equivalent to about 96000 miles. 40 miles per hour. So that's not that bad on a Diesel engine.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless my math is fuzzy - the generator has been run an average of 20 hours a month for 10 years. General maintenance requirement is 1 hour run time a month I believe. If properly maintained / serviced I would say it's like new at 2,400 hours and at the same rate of use and proper service will perform for many, many years. Just my guess.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
KIX

I would have more concern about the low engine use with only about 2800 miles per year than the hours on the generator.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would worry more about low hours and non-use of the generator. 2500 hours is not excessive. Just have the dealer pull a full service on the coach changing all fluids and filters.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would worry more about low hours and non-use of the generator. 2500 hours is not excessive. Just have the dealer pull a full service on the coach changing all fluids and filters.

Ken
X-2. The generator will not be the problem. As previously stated, the coach is your concern. Do you homework and get ALL the fluids, filters changed, a good chassis inspection and of course, really check the tires if they are getting to end of their useful service life. Good luck
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

if you talk to an shop that specializes in generators, they'll tell you the #1 source of rebuilds are low hour generators not run enough and/or not maintained. Pro race teams have generators they run 2-3,000 hours a year and if they rebuild a unit after 15,000 hours or so, it's more of a "heck, I suppose we just ought to over the off season" rather than due to failure.

Steve
Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #12

My diesel generator is liquid cooled whereas most gas generators are air cooled, so the diesels run much cooler, plus a diesel just lasts much longer when properly maintained. Keep in mind too that for the most part they are like a tractor engine where they start and run at a constant speed unlike a street engine that has a lot of stop and go and idling. That also contributes to them lasting much longer.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #13

It is unlikely you will ever wear it out if properly maintained.

Tags
diesel, generator