Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Diesel Generator Retrofit

Hi,

We have a new to us, 1997 Tiffin 32DP that has a Onan Marquis 6500 LP generator. It runs great, but with the installed 100lb LP tank, the refuel times are very short for our needs.

Currently, the tank provides about 20 hours worth of run time for the A/C and appliances. Initially we thought about adding 2 30lb horizontal tanks in the storage compartment to supplement the main tank. But, that would still leave us with the task of searching for LP every few days.

Our last coach was a 32' Class C that utilized a single fuel for both the engine and generator and provided much more flexibility. We could fuel the coach and run the genset for 35-40 hours before topping the tank.

So, has anyone retrofitted a Diesel. Looking on the web, it seems like a decent used unit can be purchased for $3,500 - $4,500.

The issues that come to mind are wiring differences and plumbing the fuel supply lines to an installed fuel tank. With the number of coaches that came with LP generators, it seems that someone must have at least considered a LP to diesel swap.

Any help or insight would be appreciated,

J R
hooptie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I considered it, then traded the whole rig in for one newer and equipped the way we thought we wanted. That was in '02 so some years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Anything is possible given enough time and money.

The generator footprint I would think is the same as a similar size in diesel. I would also think that the wiring harnesses are the same. The hardest part may be the plumbing to the diesel tank. Normally there is a completely separate fitting that with pipe that pulls fuel from the tank that is high enough to allow for ~25% fuel as reserve. If your tank doesn't have a separate fitting for generator installation it may be a problem since I would tap into the line going to the engine.

Another option to consider is to carry a smaller generator and run it when you think you will be using more generator time.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I believe most diesel generators are water cooled. They're also much heavier. I have the same situation. My propane generator is mounted under the coach between the driver & passenger seats. I don't see any way I could get a diesel fitted in this small area.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our gen is a 12.5Kw Onan, weight is 787#'s, and measures 41.4"L x 24.5"W x 27"H.
But then that's far more than most rigs need. Our dryer is a 240 volt unit so it does need the 120/240 output and we have three heat pumps.

The 6.0 and 8.0 QD diesels are:
420#'s
36.3" L X 23.6" W X 22.3" H
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator