Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
My wife and I are new to Motorhomes but we rented a few for a couple trips and they were gas and I never felt comfortable driving them up some of these steep grades here on the west coast.

The motorhome we bought is a 98 Discovery with the Cummins 275hp and it does a far better job than the gas engines ever did. Since I went from gas to diesel the difference is huge but the 275 works fine for us and we are getting 10mpg.

1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36T Diesel Pusher
Zoafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #16

As others said they will all do the job but might be a bit slower up a grade. Just another thought: I've never heard anyone complain they had to much horsepower or torque.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Funny story

Last summer a friend hired a "motorhome" in Calgary to travel with us to Jasper, Banff with a side trip into BC. In our Dynasty with 350 hp ISC we just motored along at "normal pace"
He didn't tell me till the trip was nearly over that the poor little rental had been revving its head off and mostly flat to the floor trying to keep up. His fuel bill was a tad extreme.
he was sure happy to return the rental.
There are some seriously over powered motorhomes out there. I'm sure 1bhp/ 100lb is on the money for efficiency and ease of driving
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
As Tim Allen would say, "Give it more power"! So to answer your original question of what is too much HP? I would say when you can burn the tires on dry pavement is too much power. Everything else is just a matter of preference and the balance of economy. If money is not a concern go big!. After all its the american way, isnt it?
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Appalachian Campers
While most any of them will do the job, Skinner nailed it pretty well. You can keep your foot on the floor trying to gain enough speed on the down side to get up the upside. Or you can rely on a little more torque and horsepower and make the trip more enjoyable by knowing you have the ooompah to get up without aching calves pressing so hard on the floor. Been there with a weak sister on the first coach. So much nicer knowing I can actually accelerate going up the other side if need be. 400 to 450 is a nice number for a 40+ foot coach with ceramics and towing a nice sized towed, JMHO you understand
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #20

I think the torque is key.
I total about 23,000 lbs with only 230 hp, but 620 torque.
The Allison keeps the rpm within 50 rpm of the 1400 rpm max torque. Sweet!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
No such thing as too much power.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
For Cummins a C motor, as in C8.3 or ISC8.3, or larger. ISL, ISM are possible in those years.

For CAT C9, C12 or above. SIL just bought a Bounder with a C7 on a short Coach and he thinks it OK, too. We'll see when he hooks up his 10k trailer.

Bottom line for me is to be able to set the cruise and relax on level ground. We weigh about 33k down the road with no toad and most I have to do is deselect ECON mode to pull the grapevine at 50-55.

Is that an F-8 for your avatar? My eyes aren't what they used to be. Alpa Delta was the east coast RAG in my day.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I think the torque is key.
I total about 23,000 lbs with only 230 hp, but 620 torque.
The Allison keeps the rpm within 50 rpm of the 1400 rpm max torque. Sweet!
Do you find in a long climb that you use an rpm higher than 1400 +/- 50?

At a higher rpm the torque would drop off and does that mean you would slow down?
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
My last coach was a 2000 Journey with a 275 Cummings I love it and the mileage that I got pulling a large trailer. Never got under 9.3 MPG. You had to drive it in the mountains but I could pull Fancy Gap at 57 MPH and Flat Top in W Va at about 54 MPH no complaints. My new Monico with a 8.3 350 HP is a dragster but don't get the MPG I love it. Fuel + Air equals HP and lower mileage. I would not want to go back to the 275 but it did a great job for me.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Yes, comparing a 275 HP ISB to a 275 HP ISC is not an apples to apples comparison. When somebody says "I have a 380 Cummins." That is no help...is it an ISB, ISC or ISL?
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #26
Appreciate all the replys. Thanks. And for Coma, yes, that is an F8, Went thru the Rag first time east coast and second time for refresher, on west coast. 499 carrier landings and 1 barricade engagement for a total of 500 arrestments. Those were the days. Thanks again to all for the information. We're going to get a diesel pusher just have to find it. Not to much to look at in the panhandle of Florida so will have to start traveling.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not all about maximum hp and torque, it's also the spread of that power. Our ISC with Banks never gets below 1050 ft lbs till 2100 rpm and has 1200 ft lbs from 1400 to past 1700 rpm. That range is right in the main cruising rpm on the freeways and it shows in the performance.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
fighterpilot....Just keep in mind that hill climbing is only about 5% of your driving. On a steep grade, 5 miles long, you'll only fall about 5 minutes behind your average speed of 60 mph. Pick the coach you like and learn to drive the hills with what you have.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote