Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quikduk:
I too fueled up at Flying J outside of Barstow yesterday. Cash price was $3.55-9/10 versus $3.61-9/10 for credit...and I had min. cash on me...and it was still cheaper than my local Pilot.

OAN, I spoke to a few "guys" at Flying J who all thought diesel would be over $5 by next year some time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go to Flying J's web site and apply for a Flying J RV value discount card. You will always get the cash price no matter how you pay, plus an additional 1 cent off per gallon.

I have a co-worker that makes his own bio-diesel from used veg oil. If diesel hits $5 a gallon, I might just buy myself a 50 gal. drum and start making the 100 mile round trip drive to his house and try some.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 AM   #16
All the reasons for extended idle of the older diesel engines were valid. However, with the new technology of modern engines and the reformulated fuel, extended idleing is actually BAD for the engine.

Extended idle, say over 10 or 15 minutes allows the temps in the cylinders to drop significantly. The lower temps do not fully burn the diesel fuel. This causes a condition know as "diesel wash". Diesel wash is the condition where unburned diesel fuel washes down the walls of the cylinder, and effectively "cleans" the cylinder walls. This causes excessive wear on the piston rings and leads to early faliure of rings and related componets.

Cummins recommends NO extended low RPM idle for that reason. Makes sense to me to shut her down when you don't absolutely need to have the motor running.

Marty and Diane, Fulltiming!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Cummins put out a service bulletin on bent pushrods (or "push tubes", as Cummins calls them) on the early 24 valve ISBs due to extended idling. The valve stem cooling is so effective on the 24 valve engine that the valve stems and guides become sufficiently cold to build varnish and gum from the lube oil. This can lead to valve sticking and result in bent pushrods. Cummins' recommendation was not to idle the engine for extended periods, but if idling was necessary, to engage the exhaust brake to (1.) put some load on the engine and (2.) raise combustion chamber (and, thus, valve) temperatures to prevent varnish and gum formation.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 AM   #18
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but if idling was necessary, to engage the exhaust brake to (1.) put some load on the engine and (2.) raise combustion chamber (and, thus, valve) temperatures to prevent varnish and gum formation.
Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The exhaust brake might be able to be engaged at fast idle but definitely not at normal idle. I have not tried it at fast idle but I think fast idle is about 1100 RPM and exhaust brake cut-off is 1000 RPM. Another bad thing about extended regular idle is the engine cools down and the fuel can condense on the cylinder walls and wash away the lubrication oil. This is an often cited problem. Just thinking about it, if the fuel washes away the oil, then the fuel will remain mixed with the oil and perhaps degrade its operation.

Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote