Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You guys are being a little critical don't you think? I would understand someones individual choice for not excessively idling and engine but how is this anyone else's business?
Perhaps. It's not that I was angry or wanted to report the guy for breaking some law, I just would have liked to have pointed out to him that he was wasting fuel and exposing his engine to undue wear. But you are right, it's his engine and his fuel.

I personally, have appreciated it when a veteran RVer has pointed out something to me that he thought I was doing wrong, whether I agreed with him or not.

Perhaps Mike Canter is right, he may have just been charging his batteries.

Of course my other though was, if the the coach was indeed unoccupied, the owner is just welcoming someone to drive off with his beautiful rig. I don't imagine the entry door lock is too complicated to defeat.

Just my two cents...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #16

diesel idling

My Cummins manuals says that coming off a highway or heavy pull, let idle 3 or 4 mins, do not let it idle 15 mins or more, can cause damage to engine. Gave the reason, I will just take them at their word.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Must be from California, fine for idling. What nonsence
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The reason you need around 5 minutes of idle if pulling off the highway or from a heavy pull is to let the turbo cool down enough so it will not increase in temperature when you shut down and coke the oil in the turbo bearings and oil return tube. It is a real good habit to observe. The reason you do not idle at a low idle speed is that the oil pressure drops down so less oil to the bearings plus the motor tends to carbon up from diesel fuel soot at low RPMs and it is possible that the oil may get contaminated from the diesel fuel. If you have to idle for more than five minutes then if you have the option on your cruise control to speed up the idle to 850-1000 rpm then you should. Sometimes you can get stuck in a traffic jam on the interstate and will be at idle for more than five minutes at a time this once in a while type of situation is not going to hurt the motor. They are talking mainly about letting it run excessively at idle like for hours.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I totally agree
Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Must be from California, fine for idling. What nonsence
Well let me toss my manual then, you obviously know more than the manufacturer...

Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
They are talking mainly about letting it run excessively at idle like for hours.
Mike,

I understand what you are saying about the turbo needing to cool down, I do that all the time.

The FMCA Cat seminar that I attended two years ago stressed that engine damage could occur from excessive idling. I don't remember what the time threshold was, but it was not long at all. Perhaps the increase of RPM as you suggest could eliminate the potential for damage, but this was never discussed. Brings up a good question.

Craig

Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

In the Detroit Diesel Series 60 manual it states that excessive idling at regular idle speed is a big no with their engines and specifically states that it is OK in fast idle which is 1000 rpm using the cruise control. A lot of times while fueling at truck stops you can also hear the other trucks bumping their idle up. When I do a warm up on first start I let it idle for about 2-3 minutes to get the oil circulating and the engine starting to warm up then I bump it up on the cruise control to 1000 rpm until the water temps comes up before I drive. I have absolutely no problem in letting the Detroit motor idle foerever at 1000 rpm. On my motor the sweet spot at 62 mph is 1450 rpm which is not much higher than the fast idle.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I was reffering to California ticketing you for idling,
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #24

OMG call the idle police
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
On my 08 Cummins if I idle for too long I get an aftertreatment diesel particulate light that shows the diesel particulate filter requires regeneration.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
If he was charging his batteries I would like to think he would run his generator and not his engine.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Brian, is that a bad thing or just a warning that you are messing up what I breath. Can you go to fast idle and still get a warning light.

Rjay, I was just trying to give the guy a valid excuse. We will never no why he did that. It is common in Maine in the winter to leave a diesel motor in a car or pickup truck running while in a store to keep the heater going. When I was in Thule, Greenland at minus 40* C & F (both the same at that temp) we either had to plug the car into special outlets to keep the block heaters on or leave the motor running. These were gasoline motors and if we shut them down they wouldn't start again because the oil got too thick. It took a lot to get used to when hearing all the cars and pickups running by themselves. California idle cops would have gone crazy
Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #28

Ok... Here is my 2 cents on this...

On my Dodge Cummins I've got full set of gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, and fuel pressure). Now when ever I plan on stopping at a store or coing home I let the engine idle till the exhaust temp is down to 300*F this keeps the oil from coking up on the turbo shaft.

Now in the winter time with extreme cold say below +20*F I would rather leave my enging idling (high idle) than to shut it down. Even at 0*F I've seen my truck lose nearly all the coolant temp in a 15-20 mintue span. It takes much more fuel to re-heat a engine than it does to maintain the engine temp.

The only other time I would idle my truck is when I'm working with the Fire Dept or Search and Rescue in either case I've had my truck high idling for hours with no damage or problems but the emergency lights and flasher never ate the batteries...

So as for idling vehicles I don't see any harm in it as long as you understand how to do it properly.

As for the emissions problems... I see diesel exhaust being a very tiny fraction of the issue when my local forestry is light fires and doing control burns that fog out the valley with thick orange haze...

So when my local USFS consider how much green house gasses there are dumping into the air we all breathe... I think idling a diesel engine in rather minor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1900.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	7226