Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Brian, is that a bad thing or just a warning that you are messing up what I breath. Can you go to fast idle and still get a warning light.

SNIP
As far as I know once you get the warning light you only have two options. The first is to take it out on the highway and drive at highway speeds for at least 20 minutes. The second is that according to the manual there is a way to manually do a regen process. I have only had the light come on twice since I bought the coach in June. The first time was just after I picked it up from Cummins after they did some work on the coach. The second was after sitting in line at Flying J waiting for my turn at the fuel pump Both cases happened at night so the light was very visible and made me nervous waiting for it to go out. Also according to the manual you do not want your exhaust near anything flammable during this time as exhaust temps are at extremes. Also during regen fuel mileage is horrible. Breath deep I and my fellow 08 and newer Cummins owners are there for you even at the expense of burning a lot more fuel.

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Mopar1973Man;753052]Ok... Here is my 2 cents on this...

SNIP

As for the emissions problems... I see diesel exhaust being a very tiny fraction of the issue when my local forestry is light fires and doing control burns that fog out the valley with thick orange haze.

SNIP

Now if we could only convince the government of this and get them to allow me to remove my regen system. Actually if there is anything flammable next to my exhaust when I am doing a regen there will be an uncontrolled burn.

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #31

Quote:
On my 08 Cummins if I idle for too long I get an aftertreatment diesel particulate light that shows the diesel particulate filter requires regeneration.
You know your idling to long or doing to many short city trips when your regeneration light comes on. If you see that light come on, hit the highway and let it burn all the crud out or else you will be taking it to the shop for a manual burn.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

So do you have control over this regen process as far as when it starts or is it automatic? What if like you said you are waiting to come into the fuel pumps and it comes on. Can you still shutoff the motor? Will the regen automatically start when you are fueling?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
So do you have control over this regen process as far as when it starts or is it automatic? What if like you said you are waiting to come into the fuel pumps and it comes on. Can you still shutoff the motor? Will the regen automatically start when you are fueling?
YES
some rigs have a manual switch to start regen....
my damon has no switch, although i was told her there is a switch buried in the under dash harness. I have yet to find it
but my book says if you run at highway speeds the heat is enough to keep the dpf clean and regen my never happen .........
as far as idling.....3-5 mins tops, anything longer i bump up to high idle 1200rpm and it can do this until i run our of fuel....
but really 3-5 is good then i shut her down unless i need a/c or heat....
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #34

You would think the owner of that rig had to have a reason to keep it idling for 30 minutes
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #35

If I were to complain that this guy is polluting the air I would be a complete hypocrite. Maybe I put more miles on my rig in a year then this guy does in 5 years but he idles longer. A friend once complained that I was wasting fuel by having a large V 8 car. I pointed out to him that my commute to work was 5 minutes compared to his commute of 45 minutes with his small 4 cylinder car so I used much less fuel.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Having read all the posts, and finding everyones right;; My opion is, this When We are traveling down the freeway at 65 MPH see the rest area Or exit ramp I release the acc, And it will drop the pyro; temp, low enough that there will be NO adverse affect to shutting the engine down.. The Main reason for the idel as stated is cooldown And at nornal crusing speeds it will be ok to shut it down, After the offramp has ended, From hiway speed to the parking area is more then the 5 minute cool down needed.. Some of the rules apply to the old school..Now after a long hard pull Cooldown is nessacery;
Old 12-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I was told by the Coburg Cummins Shop that excessive idle at less than 1000 rpm's is very detrimental to the Cummins diesel engines. In fact, when they hook up their engine diagnostics machine to your engine, they can tell exactly how many hours you have been idling your engine at less than 1000 rpm's.

So, when I am parked at a site for any length of time and I want to run the engine, after starting it for about 1-2 minutes, I bumped the idle to either 1400 or 1200 rpm by using the cruise high idle function.

When running the roads, anytime we are on freeways, the time it takes to get off of the road or pullover into a rest area is plenty of time to let the engine cool down. I have pulled over at hilltops after pulling a long grade just to let the engine and tranny cool down, check for blow-by, and prepare myself for the slow trip down the other side. I've done this at the Siskyous Pass and others in BC, YK and AK.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For many many years diesel locomotives were started once between overhauls. Sat on sidings running 24/7.

Mike
Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
For many many years diesel locomotives were started once between overhauls. Sat on sidings running 24/7.

Mike
Yes but they weren't sitting in a campground or a parking lot or other highly populated area.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #40

Jeff, I also have a 99 Alpine n36SDS. Do you know if there is a block heater anywhere from the factory?Thanks
Todd49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #41

dons, yes indeed the yards were more often than not located in highly populated areas and mfire's observation is accurate I witnessed power left idling for months at a time-MONTHS, massive 16 cyl engines with pistons the size of 55 gallon drums swilling fuel day in and day out-sop and no one could tell me why.

As for the gentlemen letting his engine idle I vote for the who cares crowd, you corn gassers do far more harm driving 5 miles than he did idling for 1/2 hour.

Just how many here subscribe to the notion of -man made- global warming?, no such thing.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Just how many here subscribe to the notion of -man made- global warming?, no such thing.
Uh oh, this could get ugly...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote