Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Hudsoner, does the US EPA list the paticulates under discussion as known carcinogens, and if not why not ?

Keep in mind that we have the current bedbug epidemic because of the Euro's also.

Isn't there something very wrong with the US EPA when one can go to their website and see that they are stiving for 'environmental justice' or words to that effect ?, they have become nothing more than another eco terrorist, determined to bring the Republic to its manufacturing knees.

Just out of curiosity, if you have an opinion; is the Volt an electric car or hybrid ?
The EPA considers fine particles a suspected carcinogen. It seems that California is always a little ahead of the game, since the know it is a carcinogen (I believe some New England states know also claim that they know it).

As much as I know about the Volt, it is an electric car that carries a small combustion engine to recharge it's batteries. The Toyota and the other hybrids use the engine to supplement the electric motors.

In my opinion, there is not a great future for electric cars, unless there is a really grand breakthrough in battery technology. All mayor companies are working on this (including my employer), but I have neither seen nor heard any groundbreaking news on this subject. In my opinion, as an interim measure we will see more and more hybrid cars that use very small turbo diesels to help with the task of moving the vehicles, and at a later time we will see cars that are propelled with the help of a hydrogen fuel cell.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Here's California's carcin list. Is BOTOX listed?
What is the chemical composition of BOTOX?

Here you have your diesel exhaust (soot)
Soots, tars, and mineral oils
cancer
---
February 27, 1987

Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #87

Can someone tell me how in the heck we got from some guy leaving his diesel engine idling maybe a little too long for the comfort of some of us, even though he might have had a good reason for doing so, to...............botox????

My goodness. Maybe this thread has run its course.

Don
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Too many snowbound rver's?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Bachler, there is nothing I know of in a motor that prevents them from starting until the oil pressure is up. There is still a moment in time that the motor has started and the oil has yet to be circulated and has not reached all the components such as rod and main bearings and camshaft lobes. If you are starting a motor that has not been sitting for a long time then this is no problem because todays oils leave enough film on those parts to lubricate them during that initial start period. What is really bad is starting a motor that has been sitting around for a long time and all that oil film has drained off the bearing surfaces but you just have to grin and bear it unless you disable the fuel flow and first spin the motor over without it starting until you have oil pressure. The other bad time is in real cold weather with too thick of a viscosity oil and have not preheated the engine. The wait for oil flow can be just too long in this situation.
There is a pre-lube kit to remedy this: Pre-luber oil pump on the Cummins equipped Ram for the older mechanical engines. Some computerized engines- ECM,may be programmed to detect oil pressure before the fuel solenoid allowed to open.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
I respect everyone input;; I service a fleet of tractors; they use them in a yeard. Moving things around; They get started and shoutoff 100 times per day , That seems hard to believe, Starters last about 4 months; The engines have between 3000 to 4000 hours on them, Take the fact that at 60 MPH 1hour == 60 miles; That is a lot of miles;; And still runing strong; With that being said I really need to ask WHY leave the engine run;. Then comes the responce;;; Well Bachler Yon know, ETC:: Put plesently Turn the engine Off; Life is good;
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Can someone tell me how in the heck we got from some guy leaving his diesel engine idling maybe a little too long for the comfort of some of us, even though he might have had a good reason for doing so, to...............botox????

My goodness. Maybe this thread has run its course.
I couldn't agree more. Makes me wish I had never started this topic...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Ray, I have never seen or heard of a ECM unit on a diesel motor that is programmed not to turn on the fuel solenoid without first having oil pressure. In cold weather if the motor has been sitting it would never start until you burned up the starter motor. They do program the ECU to give a STOP ENGINE light if no oil pressure detected after start which is the normal method.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Ray, I have never seen or heard of a ECM unit on a diesel motor that is programmed not to turn on the fuel solenoid without first having oil pressure. In cold weather if the motor has been sitting it would never start until you burned up the starter motor. They do program the ECU to give a STOP ENGINE light if no oil pressure detected after start which is the normal method.
Mike, I know I'm late in responding, but I finally got around to phoning Cummins CoachCare in Normal, IL today (ph# 800-759-4355). The service technician said that late model Cummins ECM modules are not re-programmable, and that the ECM is factory set to detect oil pressure before it allows the engine to start. Sorry for my mistake.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote