Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #29
Country Coach Owners Club
First trip from the dealer in Dallas to home on Melbourne FL (1300 miles prox.), I averaged 12.86 with the dash A/C on full time - not towing anything.

E-450 Ford Chassis with the 6.0 diesel.

It should get better after 30k miles, so I was told by friends.

I'm a happy camper!

Joe, Sndy & Katie (Brussels Griffon)
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
2001 Marathon H3-45
bottieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #30
Tiffin Owners Club
We tow a Scion xA, weighs 2,500 lbs.
I typically drive about 65 mph.

- When faced with a stiff headwind, our View has gotten as low as 13 mpg.

- Typical performance is about 15 mpg.

- With no toad, it's 17 mpg.

- No lies.

Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2005 Itasca 36' with the Caterpillar 350, 6 speed Allison transmission and 36,000 total miles. Towing a VW Jetta at about 60-65 MPH we are averaging 7.6 MPG via the computer. We live in south Florida and most of our traveling is in our own state so, although hills are not an issue, wind is. For example, on one recent 3 day trip we got instantaneous and fairly consistent readings of 9.5 to 10.2 on flat ground going with a wind of approx 10 mph and about 7.3 to 7.8 going against it coming back the other way. As an example of how this compares with our previous MH which was a 34' HR Admiral with a Triton V10 we were getting about 6 to 6.5 mpg pulling the same dinghy. Previous to that one we had a 31' HR class C with the Triton V10 and the same toad which was getting 10 to 12 mpg. My driving patterns were consistent between the 3 so the comparison should be fairly valid.
Before the motorhomes, we were towing 2 different 5th wheels with two different Ford F-250 diesels. With the 7.3L we got about 13 to 15 mpg and 12 to 13 with the 6.0L traveling at approx 70 mph. There is another consideration, though, when using fuel consumption as a factor in choosing between gasoline and diesel power; the price of diesel fuel is much less stable than for gasoline. At one point some time ago diesel prices here hit $4.85/gal at our local dealer when regular grade gasoline was well over a dollar less than that.

I know I got carried away with my response but I hope this info might be useful to someone out there. We've been camping with our family pulling or driving something for over 35 yrs and in tents before that and, regardless of fuel consumption, for ride comfort and feel of reliability the pusher diesel, except for basement storage capacity, has been our favorite way to travel.
Broadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #32
Newmar Owners Club
First congrads to all the DPs that get such great mpg's. I only in my wildest dreams could get that kind of milage [10+].
05 Kountry Star 3910 with 4 slides, Cummins 330, pulling 4000# Jeep Liberty we get 7.5 mpg driving 58-62 mph on the East coast. Out west it dropped to 6.7-7.0 mpg. Drop due to increase speed 65-67 mph and Mountians. Best trip was 9.3 mpg going down hill with a steady 40-60 mph wind pushing us.
It's time to find a good diesel guy that can fine tune the engine.
As we head home for a 3 week visit with our stick build we are putting the MH on diet, as we unload 11 months of stuff we do not need, amazing what you collect when you are on the road for 11 months.

2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote