Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Diesel Onan wont start

I have a 2004 Discovery, and the Generator wii no start. I had not been using the generator this past summer, bit I ahd the oil changed in Aug. In Sept. When we started home (from Oh. to Tx.) I tried to start it, but I had to prime it, then it started. After a week in the camp ground, we then continued on our way. We pulled in to a rest area and i I tried to start it. It would not start. The start switch is a rocker type that you push down to start and up to prime. The prime has a lightening bolt on it that I think is a light. This does not light when I pressed on it. I was thinking that a fuse was out. But after checking the fuses, what I could find, they were not blown. My mh is a 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39l

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Does anyone know what or where I should look at next?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

What generator do you have? I have the Onan 8000. Last week when I tried to start my generator all it did was click. I ended up changing all 4 of the house batteries. Is the switch you are trying to start with in the Rv? Have you tried to start the generator with the switch on the generator itself. Does the generator turn over at all?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

There has been a few issues with the contactors in some units. Also, low coolant level can cause shut down/no start. Also check oil level.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

You really need to use it more often.

Depress the rocker switch from the bottom of the switch for 1.5 minutes to make sure that you have not lost your prime. This will also actuate your glow plugs.

This is advice for an Onan 7500 QD.....don't know if that is your model or not.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #6

On my expedition you have to hold the rocker switch down for possibly as long as 30 seconds before it starts to turn over. The colder it is the longer it takes to begin to crank over.
It does click while you're holding the switch and it might make you think it's not working properly but it is. Just keep holding the switch down and it should start to turn over.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am very confused by this post. What is everyone talking about when they say prime. These are diesel engines to the best of my knowledge you do not prime a diesel. The instant you get air in a diesel engine you have problems starting it. If you lose a prime that would mean you had air in your lines and I would be willing to bet that you will not fix that by just holding a button in. Are you talking about turning on the glow plugs. I could see that happening if you pushed in on a button to turn them on then start it after they had heated up the cylinder. Could someone explain what they mean by prime ?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am very confused by this post. What is everyone talking about when they say prime. These are diesel engines to the best of my knowledge you do not prime a diesel. The instant you get air in a diesel engine you have problems starting it. If you lose a prime that would mean you had air in your lines and I would be willing to bet that you will not fix that by just holding a button in. Are you talking about turning on the glow plugs. I could see that happening if you pushed in on a button to turn them on then start it after they had heated up the cylinder. Could someone explain what they mean by prime ?
Pushing and holding the bottom of the start switch activates the fuel pump. Maybe pressurize is a better word.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #9

Diesel Onan Generator

As the Onan operators manual states "Control Switch-This switch is used to start and stop the genset, prime the engine fuel system and restore the fault code(blinking status light)."
Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #10

I have a 1996 HR Navigator with a 10K Onan diesel gen. It periodically refuses to start. The cause is the solenoid activated fuel shutoff switch which initiated by the rocker switch on either the dash or at the gen. I have found this switch to e a bit of a weak link with my gen, having replaced it three times in seven years. Not something I would have expected. I try o carry a spare with me, but if you don't (can't), you can get the gen to start by using the preheat/start rocker switch at the genset and as you push it to start, also pull back on the fuel shutoff switch. There seems to be a weakness develop after a couple of years and this is the only way to get it started without replacing the shutoff switch. This happens to my coach regardless of the charge condition of my batteries.
One other thing I notice is that if I haven't used the genset for some time, I have to do multiple preheats (2 or 3) before the generator starts.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Had a problem with the 10KW on my 2001 Monaco. A member here suggested the "Onan Voodoo" solution. Start the engine first and then try the Onan starter. I don't have a clue why this worked but it did. Voodoo, If you have to ask, you won't understand". :-)

One more thing, get out the Onan manual and read the starting instructions. Mine does not suggest using the fuel pump "prime" to start the Onan unless the filter has been replaced. The start position will produce the same "clicking" sound (fuel pump running) as the prime position until the starter engages.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvndonm View Post
As the Onan operators manual states "Control Switch-This switch is used to start and stop the genset, prime the engine fuel system and restore the fault code(blinking status light)."
Thank You.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Yes, hold down the rocker switch on the bottom for a minute. That will pump fuel to prime or pressurize it. Call it either but it gets fuel to it. If it will not start still look at the red light on the rocker switch on the generator. Count the flashes and then press the bottom of the switch quickly and count again. This will be the code for what fault you have.

Somewhere here you will find the manual I think Generator Maintenance & MANUALS Onan & Generac & PARTS

Or here Onan Troubleshooting & Fault Codes
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #14

At the generator near the rocker start switch there is a small (4"x4") cover with 4 screws, under the cover there are 2 fuses, 1 is for the glow plugs and the other fuse is a start fuse. They are there on my onan diesel gen. Ask me how I know LOL It wouldnt start

Tags
diesel, onan