Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #1

I'm baaaaaaaccckkk!! I do seem to ask alot of questions huh. I'm wondering what the pros and cons to buying a diesel engine as to just getting a regular gas engine are. Which one get's better mileage (we'll be towing an 18' boat behind it).I'm sooo scared to make a wrong move.

Hugs, Blanche
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #2

I'm baaaaaaaccckkk!! I do seem to ask alot of questions huh. I'm wondering what the pros and cons to buying a diesel engine as to just getting a regular gas engine are. Which one get's better mileage (we'll be towing an 18' boat behind it).I'm sooo scared to make a wrong move.

Hugs, Blanche
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have gotten better milage, better ride, less noise (from driver's seat) due to engine is in the rear, more power in lower RPM range, more durability and in the end retain better resale value with our diesel rig. Oh, it DOES cost more. Like my dad taught me, " you get what you pay for" Usually!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There's two things that come into play here. One is the engine and the other is the chassis. Diesel engines are more efficient than their gasoline counterparts. You'll get more torque, and it will be at a lower, more usable RPM, than the gasoline powered engine. You'll also get better fuel economy as long as you are talking apples to apples as far as the coach goes. And, yes, they do cost more.

Most RVers think of a diesel pusher when they think of a diesel motorhome. With a DP you get a whole new level of chassis underneath you. Air ride suspension versus leaf springs, raised rail frames that give you a big pass-through basement storage area, much more cargo carrying capacity, and the quiet of a rear engine, amongst other benefits. But, again, this doesn't come free so you pay substantially more for it.

If all you are looking for is the torque and economy of a diesel engine, various manufacturers are using the FRED chassis from Freightliner. FRED is a front engine diesel chassis that's pretty much the same as a gasser chassis except it has a 300 HP Cummins ISB up front. It's refined really well so you gain some of the benefits of a diesel rig, most notably torque and great fuel economy, with only a slight upcharge over a gas coach. And the noise level is surprisingly low for a front engined diesel. Tiffin has had these in the Allegro Bay for a while now and have now put the FRED chassis under the entry level Allegro, which makes for a very affordable package - both up front and in extended operating costs.

It all depends upon what you are looking for in an RV. There's a place for everything and I'd suggest you do some tire kicking but be sure to test drive the various chassis so that you can see what best appeals to you (and your checkbook
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Blanche,
Gas or Diesel, it depends only on what your requirements are. It is a personal decision. The only "wrong" is if you buy something that does not meet your needs. I guess what I am saying is take some time and make a list of the top 10, most important, RVing needs you have. The list may lead you to your decision, or you may still have a choice. My signature coach was purchased after our top 10 list determine there were no gas powerd coaches that met our requirements. From memory, my top ten list was:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>seat belts for eight
<LI>eating for eight
<LI>sleeping for 6 (real bed space)
<LI>4 slides or full coach length slides
<LI>XM radio & GPS navagation built into dash
<LI>in motion Direct TV
<LI>tow capability minimum of 10K lbs
<LI>basement able to store a mounted spare tire
<LI>seat in shower
<LI>vented washer dryer combo unit[/list]None of these requirements deal directly with anything under the coach. My first coach was in 1978. I have always purchased the coach, floorplan and ammenities that make my RVing life more enjoyable. Whatever the engine, chassis, transmission came with the coach has always been fine with me.

Over time our requirements have grown (or groan, depends on how you look at it). This is my first diesel coach. It took many months of dogged determination to find a gas coach until I finally realized the change to diesel technology needed to be made. After 15 months and about 20K miles, I remain without an opinion on the technology merrits of gas or diesel. What is under the coach remains off my list of important things. I will continue to focus on living in the coach and what is needed to maximize that pleasure, for me.

Your OP mentions towing a boat. That is one of your top 10 items. What is the weight of the boat? Is that all you will tow? What is the most weight you will tow? You now have 9 more items to list. In addition to the above mentioned items that made my list consider focusing on these areas:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>the driving configuration of the coach. Can you get to all the area you need to get to when the slides are in? Like the bathroom/refer.
<LI>Eating - does everyone have a place to sit and eat at the same time? Is the placement of the kitchen (stove, sink, refer) and eating seats okay for the cook?
<LI>Sleeping - with all the beds made, will everyone be comfortable? Can everyone get to the bathroom?
<LI>What is the maximum weight you will tow?
<LI>How much living room do you need (how many slides)?[/list]The answers all depend on what kind of RVing you do.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>travel a lot
<LI>park a lot
<LI>full hookups or boondock
<LI>how many nights a year will you spend in the coach[/list]Lastly, how long do you intend to keep the coach? I keep mine a minimum of 10 years.
Making a top ten list is the hardest part of the purchase decision. If done well, all that follows will just sort of fit you like a glove.

I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you are coming along with your decisions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote