Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #127

To add to your statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I'm not sure what you may have read, but evidently some it was wrong. Our 42-foot diesel coach does not have a tag axle and it is as stable as a rock. Rides like the proverbial Cadillac.

You don't have to buy a 45-foot, $500,000+ tag axle diesel to enjoy the smooth ride and effortless driving experience a diesel pusher can provide. You can enjoy the experience for less than $100k in a good used diesel coach. That's what we did!

Rich
Well our 37' gas coach does not have tag axle and is also stable as a rock and rides fine on smooth roads. Even a Caddy rides rough on rough roads.
I guess we are both happy campers.

So much misinfo on the forums. Too much of mine is better than yours when it comes to class A coaches.
Never saw this on 5th wheel forums as to gas verse diesel TV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #128

We chose our coach based on the floor plan.
Then the cost.
Then whether new or used.
Pros and cons to every decision.
We bought new.
2013 Georgetown 378XL. 37', 3 slides.
We tow a Honda CR-V with no issues.
Love it and very happy with it.

2013 Georgetown XL 378

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
We chose our coach based on the floor plan...

Now THAT is the most intelligent comment so far in this thread! If you don't like the floor plan, you won't enjoy living in the coach, no matter what may be powering it.

Rich
Old 01-04-2016, 03:29 AM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My guess is that poster number one is still scratching his head, wondering what the answer to his question is.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #131

FWIW If money was no object I would still not want most DP's. We will only ever be part timers. That has me regarding the MH as a rolling cabin in the woods not a luxury condo. More amenities is more things to deal with when I want to be doing something else. ;-)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #132

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW More amenities is more things to deal with when I want to be doing something else. ;-)
Now, you hit the nail on the head. That is why I drive a Newmar gasser. Not much to go wrong that I cannot afford to get fixed.

The Cummins high pressure common rail fuel pump is around $800 plus about $1000 labor to change it out. My gasser pump change out is about $150. Someday, I hope my financial situation changes to allow me to take a $2000 hit and not cringe. At that time I will buy a diesel pusher.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #133

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW If money was no object I would still not want most DP's. We will only ever be part timers. That has me regarding the MH as a rolling cabin in the woods not a luxury condo. More amenities is more things to deal with when I want to be doing something else. ;-)
Exactly my thinking, and I have been RVing a long time.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #134

Well you have all put in your 2 cents worth and I have read all. As one responder put it, I am still left with no conclusive answer. It seems you all are equally divided on which is best. So I guess now the ball is my court. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman69 View Post
Well you have all put in your 2 cents worth and I have read all. As one responder put it, I am still left with no conclusive answer. It seems you all are equally divided on which is best. So I guess now the ball is my court. Thanks!

My post makes the total 135. Some well reasoned; some opinions based on experience; some quotes from experts, and an awful lot of unreasonable partisanship designed to support their own personal choice.

After separating all the wheat from the chaff, it always comes down to these 3 issues:
1. Budget.
2. Needs.
3. Wants.

Good luck and enjoy the process.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #136

I don't own anything yet. Three years or so until I do. You would think after reading so many threads like this that there would be the same amount of threads about the gas motorhomes blowing up from stress. They seem plenty reliable. I can handle a little noise and heat. Since it's a motorhome, if that gets to me I'll pull over, get a bite to eat, cool off, etc. In my opinion, if one get's uncomfortable driving, one should take a break. Heck, DW has to stop often so ride comfort for hours on end doesn't apply to me. I do not want to get pushed around too much so I know that is a weak spot on the F53, but it can be addressed for not too much money.
For a motorhome, gas is in my budget (some great floor plans too!). If I decide on a 5vr, it's going to get a diesel truck. Both configurations would be about the same dollars if bought new. I can sure waffle a lot about all this, makes my head hurt.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Test drove a DP and a gasser. The wife liked the ride on the DP. Done deal. Happy wife, happy life.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #138

This is one of the never ending and amusing threads that contain some valuable information and a lot of BS. I want to ad that our coach is extremely quiet on the road, very little engine noise unless of course going up some steep inclines to where the engine works harder. That is something that happens in all vehicles and is not a deal breaker by any means. And I also know that a DP will get the same wind noise while driving down the same highway. Also, a larger gas coach will not get blown around on the road like many claim, heavier chassis and longer wheel base make for a better ride. The most helpful and best advise out of the ridiculous number of posts to this thread is floor plan, how it is going to be used, budget and what you expect out of your coach. When we upgraded to our present coach I did not even look at used DP because I could not justify the expense of upkeep for the amount of miles we put on it. I wanted a new coach with a warranty so I could have some protection which we have used and now everything is just how we expect it to be. We both still have jobs but use our coach around 10 to more times a year yet put on little mileage. I am extremely pleased with the Ford chassis and when we are camping we love the floor plan and everything else this coach has to offer.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
My post makes the total 135. Some well reasoned; some opinions based on experience; some quotes from experts, and an awful lot of unreasonable partisanship designed to support their own personal choice.

After separating all the wheat from the chaff, it always comes down to these 3 issues:
1. Budget.
2. Needs.
3. Wants.

Good luck and enjoy the process.
I think anyone that is serious about a class A purchase can afford either gas or diesel - unless they insist on buying new. For that reason, it should be clear that decision (new vs. used) needs to be made early on. From there, it's about priorities....
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ford V10. Show me a Ford passenger car that has one.

This one is propane powered. Chop off the front two cylinders and its the same engine as in all the regular Crown Vics. Its a durable engine, but not one I'd choose if designing from scratch to regularly move over 20k lbs while pushing a wall of air 12' high. 6.8L just isn't enough displacement to produce the torque needed. A V-12 version would give enough displacement, but would be too long for truck applications. What's needed is a 7.8L V-10 version of the current 6.2L V-8, but there's not enough competition (none actually) for Ford to be interested in spending money on upgrading.

Its an acceptable compromise because most motorhomes aren't driven that much per year, the chassis isn't capable going faster safely, and given RV industry quality, the box built on top will fall apart before the motor.

Tags
diesel, gas