Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Let your amenity choices decide for you. When you find a MH at has the things in it you want, you will discover that there is a suitable engine to move it along.

For example, do you want air leveling? Do you plan on towing 5k, 10k, 18k? Do you want granite counter tops, diesel Aqua Hot? Can you live with 32, 36, 40 or 45' ? Do you want the capacity of dual rear axles? Three air conditioners?

Once you discover that then move to a slightly older MH to get the best bang for your buck. Money no object? Spec a Newell or have a Prevost built.

Enjoy the search!

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Depends on first, your wallet, second your towing needs.
And guess what you just opened....
Now THAT is funny.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had two gassers then bought the older DP for less than a new gas rig. Love it. We live in it 6 months out of the year and travel around 3000 miles a year. I love wheeling a 32,000lbs rig down the road that you can control with one finger on the wheel, smooth quiet ride and all the power you could ask for. Wouldn't go back to gas unless we wanted to pair down. Good luck with your search.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've owned gas and diesel rigs over the years.... In my opinion if you are looking for anything over 35 feet long, do yourself a huge favor and go with the diesel. Not just for the engine but for the chassis, suspension and brakes. With that much mass moving down the road, you will appreciate the extra margin of safety that the diesel will provide.

Just my opinion.... Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #33

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I always keep my recommendation simple, and just say if budget allows go diesel.
This is absolutely true. My first class A was a diesel pusher. I was working and had a good job, my wife was working and had a good job, which meant that our Class A sat in the barn most of the time. It had a HUGE note on it which we paid easily. Then it got hit by lightening while we were building our new (much too big) dream house. We repaired the coach and sold it. Now fast forward, retired, much less income, but did not want a note so bought a gasser and paid cash for it. Nice coach and we have spent a lot of time on it. Oil change on gasser is $50 plus supplies, total not much more than $125.. or so. On DP it was way North of $400 with all the oil filters and fuel filters that diesels require. I liked my DP, I could afford it and we enjoyed it. I like my gasser now, we can afford it, and we are enjoying the heck out of it. Remember, when parked they are the same. So Becks is right.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #34

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I've owned gas and diesel rigs over the years.... In my opinion if you are looking for anything over 35 feet long, do yourself a huge favor and go with the diesel. Not just for the engine but for the chassis, suspension and brakes. With that much mass moving down the road, you will appreciate the extra margin of safety that the diesel will provide.

Just my opinion.... Brian.

Not so fast, my gasser has very very good disk brakes on all four wheels. It is a known fact that disk brakes dissipates heat much faster than drum brakes. Diesel pushers have drum brakes. Heat is heat. Suspension is a bit better with air bags.... until you pop or pinch one. Then you limp along lop sided. I have never popped a spring. The Ford 26000 chassis that only Newmar uses carryies some big coaches with four slides. Storage was bigger though on my DP. I carried more junk that I did not need though.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #35

It's not just about disk vs. drum. It's way more about the capacity of each. Disk brakes working at capacity will simply not work as good as a drum brake working at 3/4 it's capacity. To that, add the confidence a diesel exhaust brake gives you.

The disk brakes on our old gasser are one of the bigger reasons we went DP!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #36

All good points but your comment about diesel pushers "have drum brakes" is not entirely true as many diesel pushers, especially newer models have air disc brakes....
The heavy capacity gas chassis such as you Ford with 26,000 lb capacity is a good voice too.

Thanks, Brian

Old 12-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #37

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
It's not just about disk vs. drum. It's way more about the capacity of each. Disk brakes working at capacity will simply not work as good as a drum brake working at 3/4 it's capacity. To that, add the confidence a diesel exhaust brake gives you.

Why have cars and trucks moved from drum to disk.... you lost me?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #38

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
All good points but your comment about diesel pushers "have drum brakes" is not entirely true as many diesel pushers, especially newer models have air disc brakes....
The heavy capacity gas chassis such as you Ford with 26,000 lb capacity is a good voice too.

Thanks, Brian

Air disk brakes? Did not know. Who has them?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #39

The Dynamax chassis used by country coach as well as some Roadmaster chassis (S series) used for some Monaco and Holiday Rambler coaches as well as several other chassis have been equipped with air disc brakes....
Seems like the higher end coaches are being equipped with air disc brakes.
I have a mid line Holiday Rambler Endeavor and I have air drum brakes which work fine. I have seen air disc brakes on several other rigs.... Never driven one though.

Thanks, Brian.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:16 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

Do you have data that backs that statement up? I'm not sure I can agree unless you have some objective data to back it up.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #41

We have an Itasca Suncruiser 38Q on the Ford 26k chassis and are very happy with it. 39 feet long, three slides, every thing the diesel might have without the extra weight. Made the Alaska loop from towing a Jeep and it performed admirably. Would be hard pressed to find a better layout and as has been said many times before, you spend more time parked than driving...

This was not our first coach and we considered a new diesel Meridian, but we are also retired now with the income reduction that comes along with it, and I figure there is nothing that can happen to our gas coach that I cannot afford to repair, including replacing an engine or transmission. Not sure I could say that with a diesel coach.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.smith View Post
We have an Itasca Suncruiser 38Q on the Ford 26k chassis and are very happy with it. 39 feet long, three slides, every thing the diesel might have without the extra weight. Made the Alaska loop from towing a Jeep and it performed admirably. Would be hard pressed to find a better layout and as has been said many times before, you spend more time parked than driving...

This was not our first coach and we considered a new diesel Meridian, but we are also retired now with the income reduction that comes along with it, and I figure there is nothing that can happen to our gas coach that I cannot afford to repair, including replacing an engine or transmission. Not sure I could say that with a diesel coach.

Just my $0.02
I really like the 38Q plan. Its nearly identical to the 3914 plan in the Newmar Canyon Star that I have been looking at. My only complaint is the cramped bedroom, especially in gaining access to the washer in the Newmar. I don't think its an issue in the Winne, I think they use a sliding door.
jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas