Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Ever wonder why you don't see DPs under 30', and rarely much under 35'?

I think it doesn't make economic sense to develop another smaller diesel chassis.....but then there is the Mercedes Benz sprinter chassis....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #72

Carolina Campers
I think that the OP may now know why someone had that can of worms...

Old 12-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #73

Quote:
They're 39'11" because certain areas have rules about things over 40' long. .

The problem with gassers is that no one builds a dedicated engine for them. The Ford V-10 is just a passenger car V-8 with two extra cylinders, and its even several generations old now. Ford sees no need to build a better modern engine because it has no competition in the small niche market of gas class A motorhomes.

Because if you are going to have the construction and capability, along with the higher cost, to have the luxury of a 40-45 footer, then why would you spend that money and get less? Cost margin on a 30 footer DP would be close to that of a 40+ footer. Get as much as you can.

WW
Old 12-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
No. Same reason there aren't any Peterbilt gassers.
You don't say??
vapor3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi, I guess I will put in my 2 cents and recommend a gas unit. My reasons follow:
1 - Diesel costs more than gas and you get the same mpg.
No, same length RV the DP will be better. My 38ft bounder would get 5.5-8mpg with the 8 mpg keeping speeds under 55mph. X Inlaws would get 8.5 - 9.1 mpg on their longer discovery going 65 mph with cruise control. If I use cruise control I would get well under 7 mpg

Quote:
2 - Diesel costs more to maintain like $200 for oil change plus there are a few filters that need changing.
Yes - 5qts of oil vs 10-20qts of oil

Quote:
3 - A Ford V-10 will climb hills just as good or maybe even better than a diesel if you know how to drive uphills.i
No, if the diesel owner knows how to drive no.

Quote:
4 - Unless you are going to tow a 5000lb vehicle you don't need a diesel for towing.
Not true, my gas RV I can't tow my wrangler unlimited and also bring my buell. Under 5k lbs but I am over the rated tongue weight

Quote:
5 - Diesels do have a better ride except if air bag gets a leak.
Typically if a air bag is leaking the owner will fix it. That's like saying a DP rides great as long as their is air in the tires and fuel in the tank

Quote:
6 - If you buy a new Diesel you better drive it for 100K or you won't get your money out of it.
Not true.. Have you seen how many people buy a new DP, drive it for a few thousand miles then trade it in for another new one.

Quote:
7 - You can get a gas 35 footer in a 24K pound range from Winnebago. It is the Adventurer.
Not sure the point there

Quote:
8 - Diesels are a problem in cold weather as the diesel fuel gels.
Doubt many RVers drive in those conditions?

Quote:
9 - Diesel duel when sitting too long in tank developes Algae and clogs the fuel system
Last I checked if gas sits to long will turn into something besides gas. It can turn into a solid if it's left sitting long enough

Quote:
10- Lastly a lot of the big DP don't fit in a lot of state campgrounds and some others too.
There were several camping areas I was turned away from over the past few years that my gas coach couldn't fit in.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #76

National RV Owners Club
Dido on the E-RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Gas or diesel.... When are they going to come out with those electric RV's....
Yes Sir, you expressed it for me electric would be brilliant! Locomotives have electric engines why not?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #77

The next time someone submits a "Gas vs Diesel" post, will someone refer it to one of the dozens of existing ones. They always turn into "my gas is better than your diesel" or vice versa. This one had to get five pages long before I could even look at it and it's the same as all the others. No one is going to change their mind and the same comments go back and forth. I'm surprised they last more than a page or two. Oh well, I guess I just extended it too. :-)
Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #78

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Posters are not totally honest. Yes diesel is better. If you can afford it. It is disingenuous to compare 5 quarts of oil to 20 quarts and appear honest. Diesel requires a myriad of filters too, they are all expensive and the labor is more. Just let the new buyer know the truth. I don't know many diesel owners capable of changing an air bag, yet here we go comparing to putting air in the tires. Just be honest and tell the truth.

But, gas is great for those of us who don't want to drive a 20 year old coach to keep the price down. Pass the popcorn.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #79

V10 gas

Quote:
They're 39'11" because certain areas have rules about things over 40' long. .

The problem with gassers is that no one builds a dedicated engine for them. The Ford V-10 is just a passenger car V-8 with two extra cylinders, and its even several generations old now. Ford sees no need to build a better modern engine because it has no competition in the small niche market of gas class A motorhomes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ford V10. Show me a Ford passenger car that has one. These engines were the alternative to the diesel F250/350/450 TRUCKS. Had one in my 2009 F250. 5 years and zero problems. Why would they need to "make a better modern engine" when there is nothing wrong with it? Perhaps they could add the cat piss burner that most diesel engine manufacturers need to meet emissions. I understand the modern diesels are having their share of problems and longevity now.
ps I believe gas powered units (class A and C)outsell DP's.
Not saying I would not ever buy a DP but gas powered is a more than viable option and could easily FT in my GAS class A
Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank goodness for this informative thread.
We are looking to upgrade our 2006 26' class C V10 to a class A in the 34' range.

I have concerns about the same V10 in a larger coach.

After reading this thread, I have decided to look at only diesel or gas coaches.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The next time someone submits a "Gas vs Diesel" post, will someone refer it to one of the dozens of existing ones. They always turn into "my gas is better than your diesel" or vice versa. This one had to get five pages long before I could even look at it and it's the same as all the others. No one is going to change their mind and the same comments go back and forth. I'm surprised they last more than a page or two. Oh well, I guess I just extended it too. :-)
I got an idea ..... let's talk about tires !!!!

Seriously, I find it interesting to read the points of view and I also find it very easy to avoid topics that hold no interest for me .... And there are plenty.

Curiosity kills the cat!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
The difference between the two......is simply ........"Whats in a Man's Wallet" Period.
As we all look around as we travel.........we all see the scale on the "Totem Pole".
And then we can talk about the folks that just dream of someday(Not happening) owning a camper/RV.
Are we to imagine a Man worth several Million dollar's buying a 140k Gasser Coach?
Most likely, not the style.......
We are all placed on what is known as "The Food Chain" in life, and we all have our place in it............A man simply buys what he can afford.............
"Whats IN your Wallet" ?
Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #83

The way I see it, there are so many variables in the two platforms that one may suit someone better than the other. I think it is just a flowchart to an outcome that best suits those that want to RV within his or her budget. And obviously there is a threshold that leads to a diesel pusher being the most expensive and luxurious choice.

WW
Old 12-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #84

Actually, a DP is cheaper than a gas. With the load I carry, I would have to make two trips with a gasser to get my toys and supplies to where we want to be. With our DP, I can do the same thing in half as many miles and half the time. I don't see how I could afford to go back to a Gas MH.

Tags
diesel, gas